PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Bachmann is learning from Thomas Woods (Meltdown)

MRoCkEd
04-30-2009, 07:18 AM
LRC Blog (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/026046.html)

When Tom Woods spoke to the Liberty Committee in Ron's office, Bachmann actually took notes, and then asked if Tom's data on the depression of 1920-21 could be found in his book.

Washington Independent (http://washingtonindependent.com/41786/ron-pauls-economic-theories-winning-gop-converts)

Perhaps the most influential guest has been Thomas Woods, a conservative scholar whose previous books include “The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History” and “Who Killed the Constitution?: The Fate of American Liberty from World War I to George W. Bush,” and whose current book “Meltdown” has inspired Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) to question Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner about economic fundamentals.

Bachmann “goes to these luncheons on a weekly basis,” said Debbee Keller, Bachmann’s press secretary. Keller noted that Bachmann was reading “Meltdown,” which argues that the New Deal failed and that the Federal Reserve is responsible for the current economic crisis. “Just as Austrian theory suggests,” wrote Woods, “the Fed’s mischief was responsible for the Great Depression.”

“I had a feeling she’d have some interest in the book,” said Woods, “because she asked some good questions. She was taking notes. She was asking if this or that point could be found in the book. I thought I recognized a sincere person who wanted knowledge, not the usual politician who couldn’t care less about what the truth is and just wanted to propagandize.”

jmlfod87
04-30-2009, 08:40 AM
She's got the roaring 20s all wrong. 20s were an artificial boom created by the Fed. She didn't cite Woods' work at all, which occurred under Harding who served from 1921-1923. She is, of course, correct that tax cuts and removing regulatory burdens helped the economy, but most of the growth during the 20s was artificial.

Had she cites Woods' work and how Harding saved us from depression by simply doing nothing, then she might have actually learned something from Woods.

Bruno
04-30-2009, 08:44 AM
She's got the roaring 20s all wrong. 20s were an artificial boom created by the Fed. She didn't cite Woods' work at all, which occurred under Harding who served from 1921-1923. She is, of course, correct that tax cuts and removing regulatory burdens helped the economy, but most of the growth during the 20s was artificial.

Had she cites Woods' work and how Harding saved us from depression by simply doing nothing, then she might have actually learned something from Woods.

Was thinking the same thing

bigronaldo
04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
I was thinking it was a combination of both. Harding and Calvin Coolidge helped lower taxes and kept government intervention as small as possible, BUT the Federal Reserve was acting against them by artificially stimulating the economy through low interest rates.

Is that not correct?

silverhawks
04-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Bachmann is not on our side; every time she speaks up it spreads more disinformation and division; she's a tool of the establishment that gets wielded whenever they need to obfuscate the truth.

Eric21ND
04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Bachmann is not on our side; every time she speaks up it spreads more disinformation and division; she's a tool of the establishment that gets wielded whenever they need to obfuscate the truth.
Plus she's also quite the dipshit. :rolleyes: