PDA

View Full Version : Flag Day Tea Party?

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Does this make any sense at all?

Athan
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Only if it is a flag day with Sons of Liberty, Gadson's Flag, Don't Tread on Me, and the 13 Stars and Stripes flying with Old Glory.

Anyway I think some action events needs to be done after the tea parties. Just having rallies will disinterest those attending.

Reason
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
unfortunately the label "tea party" is pretty much fcked.

I wouldn't organize anything with that label for a long time.

Would just call it a protest against [insert subject]

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, I don't know. The Tea Party I organized put me on the radar here. I have some pretty prominent people identifying me as a leader and encouraging me to run for Congress.

The people who attended are clamoring for more. There are 2 TP's being planned for July 4 in VT. I considered organizing a 3rd for that day but something about it isn't sitting right with me. Maybe it's because the 4th is being pushed by the national groups who tacked their names onto the 4/15 events. Someone locally proposed Flag Day and though I think it's one of those national holidays that's really pretty absurd, it would definitely draw people.

I'd like to see this event (if I do it) be more than just a railing against the staus quo but a very positive, solution oriented gig. Any suggestions?

nate895
04-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Bad idea. We can't have these protests all the time. We will overextend ourselves.

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Bad idea. We can't have these protests all the time. We will overextend ourselves.Part of the reason why I wanted to do one in the first place was because I knew people were dissatisfied and I wanted to encourage them to become more engaged politically. If the people want more events like this-- here anyway, I don't care what people do elsewhere-- doesn't it make sense to keep the momentum going? I'm thinking if we could have these types of events a few more times, these folks will be ready to roll next year when we need to get people active for election time.

Athan
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
The people who attended are clamoring for more. There are 2 TP's being planned for July 4 in VT. I considered organizing a 3rd for that day but something about it isn't sitting right with me. Maybe it's because the 4th is being pushed by the national groups who tacked their names onto the 4/15 events. Someone locally proposed Flag Day and though I think it's one of those national holidays that's really pretty absurd, it would definitely draw people.

I'd like to see this event (if I do it) be more than just a railing against the staus quo but a very positive, solution oriented gig. Any suggestions?

If you know your area is going to show up go for it. You may want to tell them that after the Flag day protest they can help discuss and make plans for the national July 4th event so when Independence day does come they can be ready to with video, media talking points, ready to gather member contacts, drinks and such.

But do stick with the July 4th event and organize it in such a way that it isn't a GOP circle jerk.

There may be some good ideas also to find out what to do AFTER the tea party event by having the members brainstorm strategy. Then share it here so the Ron Paul Revolution can jump on their bandwagon first making it our bandwagon. :D

heavenlyboy34
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, I don't know. The Tea Party I organized put me on the radar here. I have some pretty prominent people identifying me as a leader and encouraging me to run for Congress.

Hand out pocket constitutions/DOIs at any event you host! :D;)

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
If you know your area is going to show up go for it. You may want to tell them that after the Flag day protest they can help discuss and make plans for the national July 4th event so when Independence day does come they can be ready to with video, media talking points, ready to gather member contacts, drinks and such.

But do stick with the July 4th event and organize it in such a way that it isn't a GOP circle jerk.

There may be some good ideas also to find out what to do AFTER the tea party event.I think they will show up. And if we do it on a Saturday we will get a LOT more than we had on 4/15.

One of the 7/4 events is being organized by the guy who organized the 4/15 event in Rutland. He's plugged in with the Tea Party Patriots movement and he's a Republican-- albeit a disgruntled one. The other is being planned by a very right-wing conservative guy. I don't think he's plugged in with the national network. I'm not sure if I'll step up and help either one of these guys though I am giving the latter some advice from my experience in Montpelier. My feeling on it is that I'd like to see this Tea Party thing be a real leaderless movement so no one can say it's manufactured.

That's why I'm thinking of having the Flag Day event because it will be separate from the two and then I can really control the message -- which I learned a lot about at the last one-- and it would be disconnected from any other Tea Party plans.

I tried to get people to give me some feedback about what they wanted to see happen after the April event and have really only heard, "Tell us when the next one is and we'll be there."

One problem I can see with a Flag Day event is difficulty in coming up with a cohesive theme. Tax Day worked. Independence Day works. Flag Day? :confused:

Athan
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Then make it a focused meeting to make plans and demonstrate. Get them to get a consensus of what type of speeches to boo or cheer, Get someone to bring cameras and another to record video, another to get sign up sheets ready, and another to work to set up a booth, and etc.

Then you can promote the pictures and video online, collect the most contacts because of your sweet booth offering beer or something. Then it doesn't matter if whatever republican shows because people wont see what he sees and the media will have interviews that show what you all really are thinking. America will see what you want them to see.

nate895
04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
Part of the reason why I wanted to do one in the first place was because I knew people were dissatisfied and I wanted to encourage them to become more engaged politically. If the people want more events like this-- here anyway, I don't care what people do elsewhere-- doesn't it make sense to keep the momentum going? I'm thinking if we could have these types of events a few more times, these folks will be ready to roll next year when we need to get people active for election time.

We are talking about conservatives and libertarians. Conservatives and most libertarians aren't the typical protester crowd. They have jobs and lives, and it gets tiring constantly going to some stupid gathering to express your dissatisfaction. Most conservatives and libertarians like to work behind the scenes, if at all. They'd much rather ascribe their name to a petition and present it to Congress than get on the front lawn of the White House or the State House and protest big government. They will if they feel they have little recourse left, but it isn't their first choice.

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 04:12 PM
Then make it a focused meeting to make plans and demonstrate. Get them to get a consensus of what type of speeches to boo or cheer, Get someone to bring cameras and another to record video, another to get sign up sheets ready, and another to work to set up a booth, and etc.

Then you can promote the pictures and video online, collect the most contacts because of your sweet booth offering beer or something. Then it doesn't matter if whatever republican shows because people wont see what he sees and the media will have interviews that show what you all really are thinking. America will see what you want them to see.

A planning committee is a good idea.

As for the rest of it, that's what we did. I don't think this one should be focused as much on the national level but rather the state level.

slacker921
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
hmm.. maybe if it's a time to gather up the gadsdens and circle the state capital or Federal Reserve building or something like that... or maybe make your own flags? It just seems hard to "protest" on flag day.

but.... after seeing the penny video

YouTube - Obama Budget Cuts Visualization (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWt8hTayupE)

I'm thinking it'd be interesting to do that as sort of performance art. Have everyone bring pennies (counted out in bags or something) and then spread them out (he has them stacked up 5 high) so people can visualize the budget. Do it in a very public place so lots of people walking past will see it. At the end donate the money to C4L... (might be better to use quarters for the donation aspect).

muzzled dogg
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
it doesn't make sense that you fuckers need a holiday to show your colors

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 04:46 PM
it doesn't make sense that you fuckers need a holiday to show your colorsNice. Thanks.

It's not that us fackers need a holiday. I was thinking of sometime in June and someone else suggested Flag Day. Sheesh. Maybe you need to take a walk or something.