PDA

View Full Version : WHO Declares Level 5 Pandemic

UtahApocalypse
04-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Here we go folks:

http://www.reuters.com/article/usDollarRpt/idUSNLT40448420090429

GENEVA, April 29 (Reuters) - World Health Organization director-general Dr. Margaret Chan raised the pandemic threat awareness level to 5 out of 6 on Wednesday, meaning the world is at imminent risk of a pandemic from H1N1 swine flu.

"I have decided to raise the level of influenza pandemic alert from phase 4 to phase 5," Chan told a news briefing.

Bruno
04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
The hype, fear, and power-grabbing are happening at a far more excellerated rate than the virus itself.

Ninja Homer
04-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Are we supposed to panic and give away our rights now? I think the WHO just jumped the shark. There's only 148 confirmed cases in the whole world.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html
Swine influenza - update 5

29 April 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 18:00 GMT, 29 April 2009, nine countries have officially reported 148 cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 91 laboratory confirmed human cases, with one death. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (13), Germany (3), Israel (2), New Zealand (3), Spain (4) and the United Kingdom (5).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

TonySutton
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I honestly believe we are not being told the whole truth about this or we are being hood winked :(

awake
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Are we supposed to panic and give away our rights now? I think the WHO just jumped the shark. There's only 148 confirmed cases in the whole world.

Yes, they would like very much your quiet cooperation... level 5 gets the ball rolling on the Pandemic plans of each country, regardless if they want to or not.

Remember, global threats require global solutions.

Bruno
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes they would like very much like your quite cooperation... level 5 gets the ball rolling on the Pandemic plans of each country, regardless if they want to or not.

Remember, global threats require global solutions.

WHO leader said twice that this "imminent global pandemic" requires "global solidarity"

Ninja Homer
04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
This outlines what the different levels mean and what actions they'll take: http://www.who.int/entity/csr/disease/influenza/GIPA3AideMemoire.pdf

The level 5 (or phase 5, as the document calls it) actions that I don't like:

"Provide leadership and coordination to multisectoral resources to mitigate the societal and economic impacts."

"Implement individual, societal, and pharmaceutical measures."

"Implement contingency plans for health systems at all levels."

The cure sounds worse than the disease.

Johnnybags
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Not sure what to think, these guys usually downplay everything. Now it seems like hype. Weze all gonna die.

Bruno
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Not sure what to think, these guys usually downplay everything. Now it seems like hype. Weze all gonna die.

Damn! I have too much on my bucket list still. :rolleyes:

MikeStanart
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Doctor WHO did this?

zach
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
I refuse to buy into the panic because I have reason, and I follow a leader who speaks radical truth.

Original_Intent
04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes and the single U.S. fatality was a Mexican national who was brought across the border (illegally or legally?) for health care.

It's sad and disgusting to see those on this forum that are just about ready to mess their pants over this. :(

UtahApocalypse
04-29-2009, 04:09 PM
For those that want some more detailed plans of what YOUR state may do next:

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/states/stateplans.html

brandon
04-29-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't know, who did declare level 5 pandemic?

kahless
04-29-2009, 04:19 PM
• Canceling public gatherings and closing businesses and schools may be effective in
slowing the spread of influenza (see Appendix 1-C: School Closures during an
Emergency, Appendix 1-D: Business Closure during an Emergency, and Appendix 1-
E: Suspension of Public Meetings during an Emergency). In rare circumstances,
mandatory vaccination may be the most effective means to protect the population.
Public Health Law § 613(1) obligates the Commissioner to “develop and supervise
the execution of a program of immunization, surveillance and testing to raise . . . the
immunity of adults in the state against diseases identified by the Commissioner,
including . . . influenza.” Public Health Law § 206(1)(1), authorizes the
Commissioner to “[e]stablish and operate such adult and child immunization
programs as are necessary to prevent or minimize the spread of disease and to protect
the public health. Mandatory immunization can only be authorized by the Governor
pursuant to the authority given to him in Executive Law § 29-a (see Appendix 1-G: A
Guide to New York State Laws Governing Public Health Emergency Preparedness
and Response).

I wonder what conditions would dictate a mandatory vaccination and how they would implement it.

zach
04-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I wonder what conditions would dictate a mandatory vaccination and how they would implement it.

Did the vaccines in the last scare protect some of those people? ;):(

Bruno
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Did the vaccines in the last scare protect some of those people? ;):(

Protected few, sickened thousands.

awake
04-29-2009, 05:35 PM
The wonderful thing about vaccination is that there is no proof that it worked in any particular instance... just an assumption. A blind trust.

Is there any proof that any vaccination actually works? We are lobotomized into not questioning their effectiveness, but they said the same about government too. Look where that has gotten us.

They say it is better to be safe than sorry. Does each vaccination actually do what it says and how would anyone know if it did not? For something to be a good one must be able to see that good - not some abstract concept like 'it's for your own good' or 'It's in everybody best interests'.

kathy88
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM

Hold you down and jam it in your arm. Practice for the RFID implants ;) Since the Governor is the only one who can declare it, I'm going to assume the county sheriff can tell them to kiss his or her ass ;)

KoldKut
04-29-2009, 05:55 PM