PDA

View Full Version : How do we know who's a citizen without "birthright citizenship?

Knightskye
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Dr. Paul says we should get rid of "birthright citizenship", but how would people become citizens without it?

Epic
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
no - birthright citizenship for the kids of illegal immigrants.

Knightskye
04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
no - birthright citizenship for the kids of illegal immigrants.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul346.html

I’ve introduced legislation that would amend the Constitution and end automatic birthright citizenship.

Uhh...

Icymudpuppy
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I think until you can prove an understanding of constitutional law and US Civics by taking a naturalization test, you should be just a US Person. I don't care who your parents are. Citizenship should not be inherited any more than nobility should be.

Alawn
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
People get citizenship from their parents. If I was born in China I would still be a natural born citizen because both of my parents were US citizens.

Citizenship by being born in the US should be abolished.

LibertyEagle
04-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I’ve introduced legislation that would amend the Constitution and end automatic birthright citizenship.
He's talking about the children of illegal aliens, here.

Alawn
04-29-2009, 02:21 PM
There are two ways to get natural born citizenship.

1. Based on the citizenship of your parents
2. Based on being born on US soil.

The second way is what he says we should get rid of. That still leaves the first. Sneaking illegally into the country to have a baby should not be rewarded.

Gin
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM

The second way is what he says we should get rid of. That still leaves the first. Sneaking illegally into the country to have a baby should not be rewarded.

No, to be a Natural Born Citizen you have to have both... otherwise you are only a naturalized citizen...According to the Constitution

This has been discussed extensively for the past yr.....

Knightskye
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM

But how do your parents prove their citizenship?

And how do you prove your own?

Alawn
04-29-2009, 03:24 PM
No, to be a Natural Born Citizen you have to have both... otherwise you are only a naturalized citizen...According to the Constitution

You are wrong.

You have two ways to be a natural born citizen. Number one was the only way until after the civil war. Then the second way was added. It didn't remove the first way.

BuddyRey
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Well, coming at this from a Rothbardian perspective, I would say that a citizen is anybody who mixes his or her labor with the land, and/or creates wealth.

Alawn
04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
What do you mean how do you know? How do I know where you were really born? Your birth certificate says the name of your parents on it. It's a fairly simple test any way to prove it conclusively. Do people keep who their parents are a secret or something? The only way this would change anything is to make it so people can't sneak into the country to pop out a baby.

Epic
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul346.html

Uhh...

Your own link proves that I'm right. It's for the kids of illegal immigrants.

nate895
04-29-2009, 04:50 PM

This concept goes back to Roman times, you get natural born citizenship via jus soli, being born under the jurisdiction of the United States; or jus sanguis, by blood.

BeFranklin
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM

In all actuallity, the 2nd type has never exlusively existed by itself without reference to anything else. The 14th, which required "and under the jurisdiction of", excludes indian tribes because they lived here, but weren't under the jurisidiction.

For the same reason illegal immigrate's children aren't automatically citizens. This is, as Ron Paul says, a recent ridiciolous re-interpretation of the 14th.

Objectivist
04-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Dr. Paul says we should get rid of "birthright citizenship", but how would people become citizens without it?

The same way my parents did, they signed the guest book on the way in and lived as Resident ALiens legally. They then studied to become US Citizens by taking a test.

Foreign Diplomats that give birth on US soil have children that are citizens of their home country, not US Citizens. And they are invited guests.

BeFranklin
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
An all actuallity, the 2nd type has never exlusively existed by itself without reference to anything else. The 14th, which required "and under the jurisdiction of", excludes indian tribes because they lived here, but weren't under the jurisidiction.

For the same reason immigrate's children aren't automatically citizens. This is, as Ron Paul says, a recent ridiciolous re-interpretation of the 14th.

Actually, I'd like to see someone sue that that isn't what the 14th says and overturn the interpretation. Then tens of thousands of people who tried to take advantage of an obvious fake interpretation would be brought to nought for their efforts.

Imperial
04-29-2009, 07:41 PM

It is interesting to note that at the time birthright citizenship was first made it was done in order to help the Chinese immigrants who were being totally beat down by "the white man". You think the african-americans had it bad...

Knightskye
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Your own link proves that I'm right. It's for the kids of illegal immigrants.

And you can prove who is an illegal immigrant when they go to a hospital to have a baby?

Jace
04-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Knightskye
04-29-2009, 11:36 PM
How old would people have to be to take a citizenship test?