PDA

View Full Version : YAL: Student achieves victory for 1st amendment rights in school [video & article]

Austin
04-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Good news, everyone. :D

I presented my speech and petition on the 1st amendment to the school board, viewable below, on Monday evening. They were impressed with the research that went into the speech, and acted promptly on it. I met with the assistant superintendent, Chris Gensinger on Tuesday after school. He granted me permission to distribute the materials that were previously banned, and also guaranteed the WCHS YAL group a table to distribute said materials.

We also discussed school policy, and we will be working on constructing a new policy aimed specifically toward student distribution of materials. I have a good feeling that they will include most of the provisions I want to be added to the new policy.

Warsaw Free Speech in Schools (http://www.timesuniononline.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&SubSectionID=224&ArticleID=39840) - Times Union Newspaper Article

YouTube - Student presents petition and speech urging school to recognize 1st amendment rights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYQCaZ1ag2k)

gls
04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Great job

Michael Landon
04-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Good job!

- ML

Melissa
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Great Job Austin

JoshLowry
04-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Woot!

jbrace
04-29-2009, 11:51 AM
that is awesome!!

heavenlyboy34
04-29-2009, 11:58 AM
YAY!!! Stick it to the statists! :) W00T!! :):)

ronpaulhawaii
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
I was waiting for Krippy to come here and post this :D

More outstanding work by our young r3VOLutionaries.

This is how we win!

Bern
04-29-2009, 12:21 PM
nice. :)

hotbrownsauce
04-29-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm glad that you did what you did distributing materials. I am glad you know your rights, stood up for them and made a speech to the board. I am glad you did not back down.

Liberty or Death! =)

Mandrik
04-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Way to stand up for your rights, bro! Well done!

Austin
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have high hopes for the new policy. If everything turns out as well as I'm expecting, I will be coming up with an award to present to Mr. Gensinger. Some sort of Liberty Defender award, or something along those lines. I'll have a plaque made and the group will present it to him at the next board meeting, which should garner some more media attention.

Austin
04-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Bump because I'm very excited about this still..

There are a lot of popular threads on the forum that point out negative actions of the government. I had thought that a victory within the liberty movement would garner more attention.

Michael Landon
04-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Let me know if the local paper prints an article about your victory, I would love to write another letter to the editor discussing it.

- ML

Melissa
04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
Did you blog about this on CFL if so give me the link and will make sure it gets to the state page!!! Great stuff

Austin
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Let me know if the local paper prints an article about your victory, I would love to write another letter to the editor discussing it.

- ML

The link I provided (Times Union Newspaper Article) was a link to my local paper's web site. It was also printed in today's paper, so write away! :D

Also, I'm sorry about not getting a physical copy of your last letter. I think they offer archived prints, so I'll see what I can do about that here in the next few days.

Michael Landon
04-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Also, I'm sorry about not getting a physical copy of your last letter. I think they offer archived prints, so I'll see what I can do about that here in the next few days.

Don't worry about it, I e-mailed the paper and they sent me a couple of copies. Thanks.

- ML

dr. hfn
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Liberty! Fuk ya!

ronpaulhawaii
04-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I think this is my favorite quote from the article,
"After this event, the WCHS Young Americans for Liberty will focus on spreading the ideas of liberty and self-government through volunteerism and involvement in the community."

Priceless...

kathy88
04-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Giddyup!!!!!!!!!!!

Austin
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
I think this is my favorite quote from the article,
Priceless...

Yeah, we are going to Adopt-A-Highway. For those unfamiliar, it's where you commit to cleaning up a 2 mile stretch of highway several times a year. You get a sign with your organization's name on it. Pretty neat.

We are also going to work together with other groups on a number of different projects.. Teens for Green and YAL will team up to clean up the court yards on campus. I'm working on other cooperative project ideas all the time.

I wish I had another year at high school.. haha :D