PDA

View Full Version : H. R. 1913 - More Hate Crime Legislation in US House!

Matt Collins
04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
From the Eagle Forum:

Details surrounding current Hate Crimes legislation in Congress:

* H.R. 1913, the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009.
* Introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) on April 20, 2009.
* 81 current co-sponsors.
* The bill was voted out of House Judiciary Committee 15-12.
* TN Cong. Steve Cohen D-Memphis is one of the Cosponsors.
* Some history: The last time Congress considered hate crimes, the bill number was H.R. 1592, which passed by a vote of 237-180 on May 3, 2007 (Roll Call 299).

What does the bill do?

* Makes hate crimes (a crime in which the victim is intentionally selected based on his or her race, religion, ethnicity, gender, etc.) a federal offense.
* Adds “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected classes to the U.S. criminal code (Title 18).
* Mandates federal criminal prosecution for stateoffenses, with the possibility of life imprisonment, for crimes motivated by the “actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of any person.”

What is wrong with all of this?

* H.R. 1913 is a dangerous and unprecedented proposal, which will transform the criminal justice system and threaten religious liberty. It is both unnecessary and unconstitutional!

Why is this bill unconstitutional?

* Violates both the 1st and 14th Amendments by infringing upon these constitutional guarantees:
o Freedom of speech—aims to silence and punish all opposing viewpoints
+ For example, this bill requires criminal investigations to probe if a crime occurred “because of” bias towards a protected group, and opens the door to criminal investigations of a suspect’s philosophical beliefs, politics, biases, religion, activities, and past statements (i.e. saying that you may disagree with homosexuality)
o Equal Protection Under the Law—grants more government protection to certain classes of people
+ Creates unequal treatment of victims by treating crimes against protected groups more seriously than non-protected groups (e.g. the murder of a homosexual victim will be treated more seriously than a heterosexual victim)
o Religious Expression—targets faith groups, specifically Christians, who hold traditional beliefs on homosexuality
+ Threatens religious leaders and groups with a criminal prosecution and investigations into a suspect’s thoughts, beliefs and statements.
+ For example, if a minister were to give a sermon, stating that homosexuality is morally wrong, and a member of that congregation later goes out and murders a gay person, the motivation for that murder could be traced back to the minister’s remarks.

Why is it unnecessary?

* The underlying offense (whether it be murder, assault, etc.) is already fully and aggressively prosecuted in all 50 states.
* FBI statistics show that the incidence of hate crimes has actually decreased over the last ten years.
o Less than 17% of all law enforcement agencies reported a single hate crime in 2005.
* We just need strict enforcement of existing laws!!

Conclusions:

* All violent crimes are hate crimes and all violent criminals should be severely punished.
* Elevating particular groups of victims above others is not the answer to decreasing crime in America.
* We must enforce existing laws so that all violent criminals know they will pay for their actions.

Pepsi
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Please don't vote for the hate bill HR 1913. Reps. King and Gohmert say it gives special protection to pedophiles and sexual perverts. Do you want to go on record supporting a pro-pedophile hate bill

Is what Ted Pike is telling to blast Congress with.

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks, I was just looking for this and couldn't find it.

Pepsi
04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Congress is set to give legally protected status to 30 sexual orientations, including incest. Because of pressure from homosexual groups, Congress has refused to define what is meant by sexual orientation in H.R. 1913, the "Hate Crimes" bill. This means that the 30 different sexual orientations will be federally protected classes.

http://www3.capwiz.com/afanet/callalert/index.tt?alertid=13208656

Feenix566
04-29-2009, 10:38 AM
I was watching CSPAN last night when they were debating this bill. Steve King's speech on the issue was hilarious! It was definitely one of the most entertaining moments I've witnessed on the house floor.

Matt Collins
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Where does Congress get the Constitutional authority for this nonsense? :confused:

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Congress is set to give legally protected status to 30 sexual orientations, including incest. Because of pressure from homosexual groups, Congress has refused to define what is meant by sexual orientation in H.R. 1913, the "Hate Crimes" bill. This means that the 30 different sexual orientations will be federally protected classes.

http://www3.capwiz.com/afanet/callalert/index.tt?alertid=13208656Ok, so where is it exactly that these sexual deviations in the DSM will be protected?

ChaosControl
04-29-2009, 11:10 AM
All damn crimes are hate crimes, I'm so sick of this b.s.
Oh yay more thought crime crap.

Go to hell congress, I wish you all get tortured in some dungeon pit in egypt, save for RP and maybe one or two others who aren't completely evil.

Melissa
04-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I called My Congressman Mike Pence and he is voting no on this bill. I am so glad about that

Pepsi
04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives Wednesday approved an expansion of federal "hate crime" laws -- an effort that former Republican President George W. Bush had opposed.

On a vote of 249-175, the House passed and sent to the Senate a bill backed by the new Democratic White House to broaden such laws by classifying as "hate crimes" those attacks based on a victim's sexual orientation, gender identity or mental or physical disability.

The current law, enacted four decades ago, limits federal jurisdiction over hate crimes to assaults based on race, color, religion or national origin.

The bill would lift a requirement that a victim had to be attacked while engaged in a federally protected activity, like attending school, for it to be a federal hate crime.

House Democratic Leader Steny Hoyer urged passage of the Federal Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009.

"Hate crimes motivated by race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, and identity or disability not only injure individual victims, but also terrorize entire segments of our population and tear at our nation's social fabric," Hoyer said.

Bush had helped stop such a bill in the last Congress, arguing existing state and federal laws were adequate. But President Barack Obama asked Congress to send it to him to sign into law.

"I urge members on both sides of the aisle to act on this important civil rights issue by passing this legislation to protect all of our citizens from violent acts of intolerance," Obama said in a statement before the vote.

Conviction of a hate crime carries stepped up punishment, above and beyond that meted out for the attack. The bill would allow the federal government to help state and local authorities investigate hate crimes.

Representative Lamar Smith, ranking Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, helped lead the charge against the bill, arguing it was misdirected and discriminatory.

"All violent crimes must be vigorously prosecuted," Smith said. "Unfortunately, this bill undermines one of the most basic principles of our criminal justice system -- 'equal justice for all.'"

"Justice will now depend on the race, gender, sexual orientation, disability or other protected status of the victim," Smith said. "It will allow different penalties to be imposed for the same crime."

Earlier this year, Congress passed two other major bills derailed during the Bush administration.

One, vetoed by Bush, would have expanded a federal health insurance program for children. The other, blocked by Bush's fellow Republicans in the Senate, would have reversed a U.S. Supreme Court ruling to make it easier to sue for discrimination in the workplace.

With Democrats having won the White House and expanded their control of Congress in the 2008 election, both measures were among the party's top 2009 legislative priorities. And they became among the first bills Obama signed into law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090429/pl_nm/us_usa_congress_hate;_ylt=A0wNcwvzzfhJOLUAzQRZ.3QA

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Ok, so if I'm attacked because someone doesn't like me that's not a hate crime. But if I was a lesbian and someone attacked me that's a hate crime?

I still don't really understand the uproar about this bill protecting sexual deviants. The AFA sent out an email that said this bill, because it lacks a definition of sexual orientation, protects people who may enjoy sexual activity with their grandparents or grandparents' birds. I'd like to see a definition but I just don't get the stretch.

ChaosControl
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Basically they are just a bunch of nut jobs.

Save America deport politicians to Syria!

sarahgop
04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
how can hate be a crime? dont we all hate someone?

kathy88
04-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I was watching CSPAN last night when they were debating this bill. Steve King's speech on the issue was hilarious! It was definitely one of the most entertaining moments I've witnessed on the house floor.

This?

YouTube - Rep King discusses the Democrats "Hate Crimes" bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc5QQ9pMQKU)

Agent CSL
04-29-2009, 04:29 PM
H.R. 1913

Anyone else know what fucked us in 1913?

silverhawks
04-29-2009, 04:31 PM
H.R. 1913

I was thinking the same thing. Income tax. :mad:

This is collectivist law, pure and simple.

kathy88
04-29-2009, 04:32 PM
H.R. 1913

Thinking the SAME THING agent. Coincidence?

zach
04-29-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm getting tired of vague definitions.

tpreitzel
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
See how the despicable nutjobs in Congress work? While they have activists' attention diverted elsewhere, e.g. swine flu, they ram their crappy unconstitutional legislation through Congress. I'm sick of the corruption. Basically, the main players in all three branches of the federal government need to be tried and convicted for treason.

Witht that said, we need to keep an eye on the Senate version of this bill. You can bet this legislation will be introduced QUICKLY in the Senate as long as the chance to ram it through without much protest persists.

Matt Collins
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM

While watching it somehow it reminded me of this:
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

YouTube - Skull Fucking Bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSBH84Wqtg)

silverhawks
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm getting tired of vague definitions.

When you think about it, the very concept of a "vague definition" is an oxymoron.

While the ones who rely on them in Congress are just morons.

tpreitzel
05-11-2009, 10:42 PM
It's time to contact your senators in an attempt to stop this unconstitutional garbage from passing ....

http://capwiz.com/eagleforum/issues/alert/?alertid=13301941

We must try....

tonesforjonesbones
05-12-2009, 05:17 AM
The Anti Defamation League needs to be shut DOWN...AND the Southern Poverty Law Center. EVIL COMMUNIST BASTIDS...Tones

Reason
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/would_the_hate_crimes_bill_make_it.html