PDA

View Full Version : McCain watch - Will he follow Specter and switch to Dem party?

Liberty Star
04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Is there a possibility that McCain and Meghan McCain could be the next ones to switch following Specter?

Liberty Star
04-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Like Specter, he had also flirted with the idea of switching to Dem party before:

http://pushingrope.blogspot.com/2007/03/mccain-planned-to-join-democratic-party.html

What could stop him now from taking the leap.

RSLudlum
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
LOL...the self-regaled Reagan Revolution Footsoldier running to the big government Democrat party (original party of Reagan)?? Say it aint so!!! :p

GunnyFreedom
04-28-2009, 11:13 PM
probably the best thing that could ever happen to the GOP.

silverhawks
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
That would really make a lot of people sit up.

The public might seriously start considering the suggestion that the "two" parties are really one at that point, and start paying attention to collusion between politicians against the interests of the people.

Its likely that more than a few Democrats I know would stop voting altogether if McCain switched. They're the same ones that were dreading Obama's "team of rivals" because they feared he might be Obama's first pick for Secretary of State or Secretary of Defense.

And over on the Republican side, no doubt you'd hear disbelief, shock and anger.

Pauls' Revere
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
IMHO

He already did, long ago.

thasre
04-28-2009, 11:24 PM
It would be pure political suicide. It would be the equivalent of Joe Lieberman running as Republican VP (which was McCain's first choice). Lieberman would have been horrendously vilified (it was bad enough to the Dems that he supported McCain at all), and they would have fought more violently than before to win his Senate seat from him, but the Republicans would have little to no reason to stick up for him. The same would happen to McCain were he to switch parties. Republicans would lose all faith in him; Democrats would have little reason to support a candidate who ran against their messiah.

Bad idea, even if the Dem. Party would be more appropriate to his ideology.

silverhawks
04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Republicans would lose all faith in him; Democrats would have little reason to support a candidate who ran against their messiah.

You can bet that there would be a small share of Democrats who would attribute the switch to ObamaPower (tm) though, and then say that McCain isn't so bad now he's a Democrat...especially if their Glorious Leader made a big public spectacle of welcoming in McCain into the fold with open arms.

The majority of the Dems would be absolutely horrified though.

torchbearer
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
He did consider being Kerry's running mate. I hope he goes.
There are a lot of RINO local Neocons I'd like to show that headline too.

cindy25
04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
not if he wants to be AZ senator, but Meagan will probably leave GOP and run in another state

GunnyFreedom
04-29-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm serious, I believe nothing would make the GOP the party of our platform better or faster than if McCain went Dem. That could well be the best thing that has happened to the GOP in the history of the Republic. He should do it just for the sake of the Republican Party, if he really loves it as much as he claims he does. :D

StilesBC
04-29-2009, 04:44 AM
The more the merrier. Heck, why are you even tolerating them in your party in the first place? Why not give the lot of them the boot and then run true republicans against them in 2010?

Perhaps we should organize an online farewell party?

sratiug
04-29-2009, 09:18 AM
We need a campaign to trade all the neocons back to the Dems for a silver dollar a gold eagle and the bill of rights.

kahless
04-29-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm serious, I believe nothing would make the GOP the party of our platform better or faster than if McCain went Dem. That could well be the best thing that has happened to the GOP in the history of the Republic. He should do it just for the sake of the Republican Party, if he really loves it as much as he claims he does. :D

+1

spotics
04-29-2009, 12:29 PM
It's funny that he considered switching parties. The GOP district chair told me RP supporters weren't welcome in the Republican Party because if Ron Paul decided to go third party, we would vote for him over McCain.

However McCain threatened to join the Democrats on several occassions.

Munier1
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
If McCain, the GOP's 2008 nominee for president, were to switch to the Democratic Party, that would effectively END the Republican Party. Moreover, that could be the kind of thing that allows for a third party to come in and take the GOP's place as one of the two major parties.

angelatc
04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
If McCain, the GOP's 2008 nominee for president, were to switch to the Democratic Party, that would effectively END the Republican Party. Moreover, that could be the kind of thing that allows for a third party to come in and take the GOP's place as one of the two major parties.

I think a McCain defection would rejuvenate the GOP, for better or worse.

Liberty Star
04-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Many fine view, this about sums it up LOL

LibertyWorker
04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I don’t see why people are hanging on to the GOP or DNC they are the same party.

Both The GOP and DNC are nothing but big government progressives. One is just a rightwing progressive and the other is leftwing progressive.

The People who say they are different parties must still believe the earth is flat.

kahless
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I don’t see why people are hanging on to the GOP or DNC they are the same party.

There is a better chance to rebuild the party from within without progressives then there is to form a viable 3rd party that the system is rigged against.

I still cannot get over how many Conservatives voted for John McCain rather than vote for Barr or Baldwin.

LibertyWorker
04-29-2009, 02:46 PM
There is a better chance to rebuild the party from within without progressives then there is to form a viable 3rd party that the system is rigged against.

I still cannot get over how many Conservatives voted for John McCain rather than vote for Barr or Baldwin.

i agree we don't need a 3rd party we need a 2nd party

Matt Collins
04-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Both The GOP and DNC are nothing but big government progressives. One is just a rightwing progressive and the other is leftwing progressive.The GOP will not be like that if we show up and change it from within.

No need to reinvent the wheel, just find a vehicle, jump on board, and steer it yourself.

LibertyEagle
04-29-2009, 03:02 PM

+1

I wish all the SOB RINOs would become Democrats. Good riddance. We were going to have to get them moved out, anyway. Them leaving on their own accord, saves us the trouble. :)

heavenlyboy34
04-29-2009, 03:10 PM
The GOP will not be like that if we show up and change it from within.

No need to reinvent the wheel, just find a vehicle, jump on board, and steer it yourself.

Or avoid the whole trap of Statism entirely and work as an individualist or 3rd party. (Can ya tell I don't like the false choice you set up, Matt? ;))

LibertyEagle
04-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Or avoid the whole trap of Statism entirely and work as an individualist or 3rd party. (Can ya tell I don't like the false choice you set up, Matt? ;))

You keep saying this, hb, in multiple threads. So, I'll follow on behind you and repeat that 3rd parties do not get in debates; nor do they get media attention.

Political parties are just tools; a means to an end. The Republican party is ripe for the pluckin' right now and it would ALREADY have been plucked, if instead of bitching and moaning, we would've gotten involved and taken it back.

It's still not too late.

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Is there a possibility that McCain and Meghan McCain could be the next ones to switch following Specter?I wish he would. I really, really wish he would.

Munier1
04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
I would like to think that the GOP could be taken by us or that it would be rejuvenated by a McCain defection, but the embarrassment of losing a guy who ran for president under the party just a few months ago is way too much to handle. That would be the final nail in the coffin and a different party would supplant the GOP in the two-party setup.

Seriously, your candidate for president leaves you with not even a year removed from the election . . . GAME OVER.

Munier1
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Oh, and in case someone mentions this, Teddy Roosevelt leaving the Republicans to start the Bull Moose Party against Taft is NOT the same thing.

Liberty Star
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I wish he would. I really, really wish he would.

Perhaps he can be sent a petition to offer a little push that he may need to make the jump? Wont be a bad idea.

I would like to think that the GOP could be taken by us or that it would be rejuvenated by a McCain defection, but the embarrassment of losing a guy who ran for president under the party just a few months ago is way too much to handle. That would be the final nail in the coffin and a different party would supplant the GOP in the two-party setup.

Seriously, your candidate for president leaves you with not even a year removed from the election . . . GAME OVER.

Good point but "embarrassment" is probably not the thing GOP needs to be concerned with right now considering its recent track record. It's beyond that point.

LibForestPaul
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
i think he will switch to the following party:

Have you seen Mister Puddles Party, 1802

slacker921
04-30-2009, 04:40 PM
.... how is McCain polling? That's what did the trick for Specter.

Matt Collins
05-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Or avoid the whole trap of Statism entirely and work as an individualist or 3rd party. (Can ya tell I don't like the false choice you set up, Matt? ;))Third Parties are not viable in this country at this time.If you can't see that then you are blind.:rolleyes:

acptulsa
05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh, and in case someone mentions this, Teddy Roosevelt leaving the Republicans to start the Bull Moose Party against Taft is NOT the same thing.

No, it isn't. You're right. But (as we saw from the LP this last cycle) this certainly is a tactic they'll use if and when we make too much progress in bending the G.O.P. to the will of the public. We had better be ready for it.