PDA

View Full Version : A High-Pitched Cry of Desperation

MicroBalrog
09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
So, here I am, an Israeli. Under US law, I can’t immigrate before I find a job in America, and, obviously, if I want to live in America, I need a job there anyway. I have experience in working PC tech support (I did so as a civilian and for the IDF) and I have experience as working as a translator and a writer. Aside from that, I can also take any form of unqualified labor ( I work as a rent-a-cop at an Israeli security company atm, and I’ve worked in a production line in a factory before, but of course those are just temp jobs and are not mentioned in my CV, it’d be bloated as hell if I mentioned any temporary jobs I had). And I know that there’s at least some NH employers reading this.

I’m ready to work at any kind of wages – even the US minimum wage is significantly higher then the minimum wage in Israel, and if I get a job as a translator, writer, editor or tech support fellow, I get likely at least half a buck more then that.

I seriously dislike the political culture of the country I live in, and for too long, have felt powerless to change it.

I’m just one of those ‘honest, hard-working immigrants that’d work for cheap’. I just don’t know how all of those guys get American jobs, I don’t even know were to start. So, yes, if there’s an American with a business reading this – you can get a person who will happily work for cheap, I will get a US job. Even if you don’t yourself own a business or work in HR, maybe you know someone who can help me out?

Personal Details

Name: Boris Karpa
D.O.B: September 18th, 1984
Phone: 972-054-5508182
Email: microbalrog@gmail.com

Skills: Professional-level translator, English, Russian, and Hebrew.
Languages spoken: English , Russian, Hebrew.

Education:
Tabeetha School, Jaffa
Completed a Psychometric test [698]

Currently a second-year student of History and English Studies at TAU.

[b]Work Experience:

2001 - Worked in the technical support department of Mihshuv Refui, LTD [Medical Computing].

2001 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in technical texts.

2002 - Worked as a freelance translator, specializing in legal requests [Hebrew and Russian translations].

2002 – Performed localisation of Thepolyglots.com company website from English into Russian.

2003-2005 - Served in the Israel Defense Force as an armorer, system operator, and secretary. In conjunction with the former duties, I aided in translation of military tecnhical documentation from English to Hebrew and vice versa.

2005 - Performed translation services for Medical Computing, LTD, translating medical texts.

2005- Translator for the”Beit Gavriel” Magazine [New York].

2004-2007 – Columnist for Concealed Carry Magazine and Handguns and Revolvers Magazine (periodicals in the United States).

2006-2007 – Translator for Transtitles, LTD, ProText, LTD, and Airlines, Inc (a multinational telecommunications startup).

Dustancostine
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Do you have money to pay your way to the states?

What about money to pay for initial living expenses?

What kind of hoops would an employer have to jump through to get your visa?

MicroBalrog
09-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I can arrange for payment for getting to the states, and initial living expenses.

The hoops are described here:

INS site (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=84096138f898d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD)

And additionally here (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=b470194d3e88d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCR D&vgnextchannel=91919c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1 RCRD).

Spirit of '76
09-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Boris, dealing with the ICE is a nightmare. Get a good lawyer.

Your best bet is to gain acceptance at university here and come in on a student visa, then while you're here find an employment sponsor.

mdh
09-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Woah, Happy Birthday to jew.
:)

MicroBalrog
09-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Your best bet is to gain acceptance at university here and come in on a student visa, then while you're here find an employment sponsor.

I contemplated this. Of course tuition int the US is at least quadruple tuition in Israel.

Dustancostine
09-19-2007, 06:34 PM
I will look at the sites.

Are you a RP supporter?

Dustancostine
09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
I was reading the site. If you come over as an unskilled worker, it says that it could take years. Do Israeli's get special treatment to expedite the process?

MicroBalrog
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I was reading the site. If you come over as an unskilled worker, it says that it could take years. Do Israeli's get special treatment to expedite the process?

No.

However if you note my CV, I do possess a variety of professional skills that'll make it [hopefully] possible for me to find employment on a higher visa level

Yes, I am a Ron Paul supporter.

Dustancostine
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Well I own my own business and could use a good employee, but I am in the retail business so I don't know how I could apply for you as anything other than unskilled, do you have any other idea's?

Hook
09-19-2007, 07:48 PM
You can go to school here under a scholarship for free if you have good grades. There are lots of international scholarships available if you look for them. If I were you I would go into IT or Computer Science. We have a shortage of them here, so they pay about $70,000 a year average in those fields.

aravoth
09-19-2007, 07:54 PM
I have an uncle and a close froend who both run the HR dept of 2 major medical companies in oregon. I'll post tomorrow and see if I can come up with something for you.

Syren123
09-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Microsoft is always complaining to Congress that they need more skilled workers and unlimited H2B visas. With your language skills, you would be valuable in any number of companies that do international business. Visas don't seem to be a problem at least where I live - there are more foreigners here than natives.

MicroBalrog
09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
You can go to school here under a scholarship for free if you have good grades. There are lots of international scholarships available if you look for them. If I were you I would go into IT or Computer Science. We have a shortage of them here, so they pay about $70,000 a year average in those fields.

My grades are good, but unfortunately they are not as awesomely good as they need to be to qualify for a grades-based scholarship. :(

They're "ordinary good" instead of "awesomely, genius-level good.:"

I have an uncle and a close froend who both run the HR dept of 2 major medical companies in oregon. I'll post tomorrow and see if I can come up with something for you.

Aravoth, if something comes out of this, I will be grateful to you beyond any measure.

Santana28
09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
you could try applying for a nationwide security company such as IPC International or something similar.... security jobs turn over rather quickly here and there aren't too many prerequisites :) you could send them an email inquiry and if you get a job with them, you could look for a better job once you get here?

Mordechai Vanunu
09-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I'd recommend going to Mexico then entering through the border...I heard it's not too hard these days.