PDA

View Full Version : Stupid quotes from the media on the flu

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2009, 01:33 PM
There have been a lot, here's a few I remember:

"Washing your hands is the best way to prevent the flu" - CDC Representative

"This could never be as bad as the 1918 Spanish flu, because they didn't have antibiotics and stuff back then." - Erin Burnett, CNBC

"How long does the Swine Flu bacteria last outside the body on surfaces." Bill O'Reilly to an "expert". He said bacteria several times, the expert never corrected him...

Vessol
04-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Just the media reading sound-bites that they were told to ask. Trying to prevent a panic. Trying to make it look like they are reporting the latest news(which they aren't, I have no idea why anyone would watch any news on TV, it's always a few days old and covered with bias from any side).

acptulsa
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Jews and Muslims want it renamed. They don't eat pork, so they want to deny that these are unclean animals. Yeah, right.

Either that or it doesn't suit your agenda for people to discover via the internet that the vaccine is deadlier than the virus.

Vessol
04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
Jews and Muslims want it renamed. They don't eat pork, so they want to deny that these are unclean animals. Yeah, right.

Either that or it doesn't suit your agenda for people to discover via the internet that the vaccine is deadlier than the virus.

Holy fucking misinformation.

How is the vaccine more dangerous? If you're going to use 1976 as an example, 40,000,000 people took the vaccine, only 25 died from it. That's 0.000000625 who died from the vaccine.

Now if you compare the official numbers out of Mexico, the fatality rate is 8%

Stop viewing the world in a one window world with your pre-set setting.

brandon
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM

How is the vaccine more dangerous? If you're going to use 1976 as an example, 40,000,000 people took the vaccine, only 25 died from it. That's 0.000000625 who died from the vaccine.

+1

Todd
04-28-2009, 02:03 PM

Could you provide a link to where it says this. I couldn't find anything.
But I did find this great article about the 1976 scare.. http://gawker.com/5229395/swine-flu-panic-bullshit

Standing Like A Rock
04-28-2009, 02:05 PM

But I doubt that if nobody got vaccinated that there would have been 25 more deaths. Ultimately, the vaccine rose the death toll.

Vessol
04-28-2009, 02:08 PM
But I doubt that if nobody got vaccinated that there would have been 25 more deaths. Ultimately, the vaccine rose the death toll.

Even so. It's better to take that precaution then to risk an outbreak that could kill more. Originally I imagine they were not 100% sure if the outbreak was limited to the base or if it originated outside of it(it was after all a bunch of new recruits, they could have brought it in with them). Many things that help the vast majority of people can also kill a tiny amount, it's statistically impossible for that NOT to happen.

dannno
04-28-2009, 02:13 PM

Holy fucking misinformation!

What an illogical leap to suggest that the virus was deadlier than the vaccine, when the vaccine killed 25 and the virus only killed 1!!

I mean, how many people was the virus exposed to? That wasn't in your math. You only considered those who got sick!!

On top of that, who cares how many people were exposed, the vaccine was deadlier because it killed more people, it's really that simple!!

dannno
04-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Even so. It's better to take that precaution then to risk an outbreak that could kill more. Originally I imagine they were not 100% sure if the outbreak was limited to the base or if it originated outside of it(it was after all a bunch of new recruits, they could have brought it in with them). Many things that help the vast majority of people can also kill a tiny amount, it's statistically impossible for that NOT to happen.

Wow, I'm glad you're not the dictator. What an idiot.

Vessol
04-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Holy fucking misinformation!

What an illogical leap to suggest that the virus was deadlier than the vaccine, when the vaccine killed 25 and the virus only killed 1!!

I mean, how many people was the virus exposed to? That wasn't in your math. You only considered those who got sick!!

On top of that, who cares how many people were exposed, the vaccine was deadlier because it killed more people, it's really that simple!!

From what I'm aware it was confined to the recruits in the fort, as they quickly put them under quarantine.

They were understandingly afraid of a greater outbreak considering the recruits were newly arrived and they were not sure where it originated from.

Statistically speaking, people were going to die from the vaccine. It's just going to happen. That doesn't mean that it's dangerous.

Thousands of people have died from polio vaccines. Does that mean the polio vaccine is dangerous?

Wow, I'm glad you're not the dictator. What an idiot.

Try something other then an ad hominem attack.

newbitech
04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
I think you guys bashing each other over "the vaccine" are getting a little ahead of yourselves.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gcx9bjqSn_mHLMw5rb3eoY32TZdQD97RKIJ00

US wants ingredient in swine flu vaccine by May
By LAURAN NEERGAARD – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. scientists hope to have a key ingredient for a swine flu vaccine ready in early May, but are finding that the novel virus grows slowly in eggs — the chief way flu vaccines are made.
Even if all goes well, it still will take a few months before any shots are available for the first required safety testing, in volunteers.

There is NO vaccine, I repeat NO VACCINE for this flu. Stop bickering about information that is easily and readily accessible with a keyword search and a few clicks.

Vessol
04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
I think you guys bashing each other over "the vaccine" are getting a little ahead of yourselves.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gcx9bjqSn_mHLMw5rb3eoY32TZdQD97RKIJ00

There is NO vaccine, I repeat NO VACCINE for this flu. Stop bickering about information that is easily and readily accessible with a keyword search and a few clicks.

I was just trying to give a bit of logical thought into the whole vaccine scare. Vaccines are bound statistically to kill some people. But they also prevent a lot of others deaths. Thus my example of polio.

acptulsa
04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
So, you're saying that they aren't using non-pork-eaters as an excuse to prevent people from reading up on the 1976 debacle?

Vessol
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
So, you're saying that they aren't using non-pork-eaters as an excuse to prevent people from reading up on the 1976 debacle?

Rephrase that, I don't quite understand your statement.

You can't get A-H1N1 from eating pork, unless you for some odd reason are eating raw pork.

And who is preventing people from reading about the 1976 scare?

Standing Like A Rock
04-28-2009, 02:30 PM
The bottom line is that I do not want anybody that I do not trust to put anything which could possibly be dangerous into my body.

Vessol
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
The bottom line is that I do not want anybody that I do not trust to put anything which could possibly be dangerous into my body.

Did you take vaccines as a child? Many of those vaccines have killed thousands.

I'm just saying. There's a point of being too paranoid. Many people in Africa refuse to take polio vaccines, tens of thousands of died now because of outbreaks.

It's kind of like those Christians everyone makes fun of because they let their children die of preventable diseases because of their beliefs.

newbitech
04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
I was just trying to give a bit of logical thought into the whole vaccine scare. Vaccines are bound statistically to kill some people. But they also prevent a lot of others deaths. Thus my example of polio.

I understand what you are saying about statistics and all, but the fact is that in 1976 more people died from the vaccine than from the disease.

Now we have a bunch of people freaking out over the same virus, yet its not the same virus, and there is talking of rushing to complete this new vaccine in time for testing in May.

Why the heck should anyone be worried about being vaccinated for this virus when,
a.) the last time this happened the vaccine was a total failure,
b.) there has been only one hospitalization in the USA and no deaths
c.) the illness makes you "sick as a pig" but doesn't require any special treatment to cure
d.) even if treatment is required, the disease responds positively to already proven anti-viral drugs.

So I guess I am saying that hey look, the information is out there for anyone to read about and draw their own conclusions. We absolutely do not need government intervention at this time because it will likely make the situation worse as has been proven in the past.

Polio is not the flu, but you also might want to check out how many people are suspected to have contracted GBS because of the 1776 (<- lol Freudian slip) immunization bull rush.

There were reports of Guillain-Barré syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillain-Barr%C3%A9_syndrome), a paralyzing neuromuscular (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromuscular) disorder, affecting some people who had received swine flu immunizations. This syndrome is a rare side-effect of influenza vaccines, with an incidence of about one case per million vaccinations.[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza#cite_note-38) As a result, Di Justo writes that "the public refused to trust a government-operated health program that killed old people and crippled young people." In total, less than 33 percent of the population had been immunized by the end of 1976. The National Influenza Immunization Program was effectively halted on Dec. 16.
Overall, about 500 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS), resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, which, according to Dr. P. Haber, were probably caused by an immuno-pathological reaction to the 1976 vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to GBS, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS.[40] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza#cite_note-39)[41] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_influenza#cite_note-40)
So statistically we are talking about 75 deaths and 1500 caused by a botched mass vaccination attempt in response to a "scare" that never played out.

Roxi
04-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Could you provide a link to where it says this. I couldn't find anything.
But I did find this great article about the 1976 scare.. http://gawker.com/5229395/swine-flu-panic-bullshit

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ieHZRubAS3lyjn2GBiCPkXkHrXwwD97QROAG0

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2009/04/29/206057/Renamed-swine.htm

Original_Intent
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM

How many died from the flu itself back in 1976? :rolleyes:

Standing Like A Rock
04-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Did you take vaccines as a child? Many of those vaccines have killed thousands.

I'm just saying. There's a point of being too paranoid. Many people in Africa refuse to take polio vaccines, tens of thousands of died now because of outbreaks.

It's kind of like those Christians everyone makes fun of because they let their children die of preventable diseases because of their beliefs.

The difference is that I trust my doctor to know what he is doing. Also, the vaccines that I have had have been around for decades and I know are safe. On the other had, I do not want some FEMA worker injecting me with some mystery vaccine.

Roxi
04-28-2009, 03:02 PM
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNHpcnGRXNnJ-GEerVsZke0bppOZkg&cid=1338523499&ei=Cnb3SaD3Np-4Md-p4MwC&rt=SEARCH&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2009%2F04%2F29% 2Fworld%2Fasia%2F29swine.html%3Fhp

Crowish
04-28-2009, 03:37 PM
April 27, 2009: The Day in 100 Seconds
YouTube - April 27, 2009: The Day in 100 Seconds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mflsX_gT28)

take your pick of stupid quotes

Brian4Liberty
04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Just the media reading sound-bites that they were told to ask. Trying to prevent a panic.

My original quotes were when they were speaking ad-hoc, so they probably weren't just reading the teleprompter. They were just showing off their intelligence...

Yeah, some of them want to play it down, some want to play it up. They all want to play down the airborne nature of the flu...

Objectivist
04-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Shep Smith stated that we didn't need to close the Border because the Flu was already here in the USA, but then went on to state that the Flu in Mexico might be different than the version in the USA.

Now if you are not sure if there is a different strain wouldn't you want to be positive on that before making a stupid statement? Then when people in Mexico realize that Mexico doesn't have the facilities to deal with this, they will flood north to the USA for treatment and spread it faster than if we had shutdown the Border.

jsu718
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Isn't the border supposed to already be shut down? You know, like on a regular basis? Besides, it isn't like they don't have the same treatment as we do right now. Tamiflu and rest.

acptulsa
04-29-2009, 06:06 AM
Rephrase that, I don't quite understand your statement.

You can't get A-H1N1 from eating pork, unless you for some odd reason are eating raw pork.

And who is preventing people from reading about the 1976 scare?

I guess not. So, you never understood my point but you flamed me for it. Sweet.

First they say they want to rename it because mentioning swine is offensive to people who don't eat pork. This is stupid. Then they say they want to rename it because people who do usually eat pork are afraid to. These are now educated.

I say they want to rename it because when you google 'swine flu' you find out that, in the U.S. in 1976, the vaccination killed more than the disease did. If people google whatever the new name might be this information is less likely to come up. Now, refute the logic of that if you can.

newbitech
04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

check your math. again. See why we don't believe this crap? Apparently official numbers are full of pig shit.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/only-7-swine-flu-deaths-not-152-says-who-20090429-aml1.html

Only 7 swine flu deaths, not 152, says WHO

April 29, 2009 - 4:34PM

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Shep Smith stated that we didn't need to close the Border because the Flu was already here in the USA, but then went on to state that the Flu in Mexico might be different than the version in the USA.

Now if you are not sure if there is a different strain wouldn't you want to be positive on that before making a stupid statement? Then when people in Mexico realize that Mexico doesn't have the facilities to deal with this, they will flood north to the USA for treatment and spread it faster than if we had shutdown the Border.

Yeah, that's a good one. President Obama said it in his Q&A last night too. It's their open borders globalist bias that prevents them from ever considering border controls of any kind. Even if it might slow or stop the spread of a disease.

"Gee, we have a few cases already, so we might as well let people flood in with it."

Objectivist
04-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, that's a good one. President Obama said it in his Q&A last night too. It's their open borders globalist bias that prevents them from ever considering border controls of any kind. Even if it might slow or stop the spread of a disease.

"Gee, we have a few cases already, so we might as well let people flood in with it."

BY comparison many more people die yearly from the common flu, although it hits the elderly people who may have been ready to checkout. The Swine Flu is hitting 20-45 year olds.

How many dead Americans will it take before Obama stops taking medical advice from the United Nations/WHO?

Agent CSL
04-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Sigh, let's try to talk objective numbers.

In 1976 twenty-five (25) people died of the vaccine for swine flu, and several (I can't find the number. I've heard anywhere from 400 to 2500 people were affected) were crippled for life. Only one death occurred from the 1976 outbreak. Therefore the vaccination was more deadly than the flu. The vaccination was pushed out, without prior testing, by the government in response to a possible pandemic.

Now in 2009 we have thousands of possible cases, hundreds of possible deaths, but only 7 deaths truly confirmed. Once again, the government and pharmaceutical companies are trying to push out a vaccination that probably won't have enough testing first. In the US, where medical treatment is okay, there are hundreds of cases but only 1 death. The others are recovering with no complications. Just like the regular flu.

It is based on 1976 that the vaccination could be more deadly or crippling than the flu itself. Therefore it'd be best to recover naturally and build up a natural immunity than to risk your life with a vaccination.

Objectivist
04-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Sigh, let's try to talk objective numbers.

In 1976 twenty-five (25) people died of the vaccine for swine flu, and several (I can't find the number. I've heard anywhere from 400 to 2500 people were affected) were crippled for life. Only one death occurred from the 1976 outbreak. Therefore the vaccination was more deadly than the flu. The vaccination was pushed out, without prior testing, by the government in response to a possible pandemic.

Now in 2009 we have thousands of possible cases, hundreds of possible deaths, but only 7 deaths truly confirmed. Once again, the government and pharmaceutical companies are trying to push out a vaccination that probably won't have enough testing first. In the US, where medical treatment is okay, there are hundreds of cases but only 1 death. The others are recovering with no complications. Just like the regular flu.

It is based on 1976 that the vaccination could be more deadly or crippling than the flu itself. Therefore it'd be best to recover naturally and build up a natural immunity than to risk your life with a vaccination.

Yeah, that's what RP said in the video I posted. Most of it anyway.

Bruno
04-30-2009, 09:09 PM

"This could never be as bad as the 1918 Spanish flu, because they didn't have antibiotics and stuff back then." - Erin Burnett, CNBC

"How long does the Swine Flu bacteria last outside the body on surfaces." Bill O'Reilly to an "expert". He said bacteria several times, the expert never corrected him...

Beck is on O'Reilly, and is asked by him who he blames for the Swine Flu:

Beck: "I blame the virus.."

O'Reilly: "yeah, the bacteria..."

Geez. What a tool. someone please tell this pompus ass who has a Word of the Day all the time that viruses and bacteria are not the same thing!

GunnyFreedom
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
I guess not. So, you never understood my point but you flamed me for it. Sweet.

First they say they want to rename it because mentioning swine is offensive to people who don't eat pork. This is stupid. Then they say they want to rename it because people who do usually eat pork are afraid to. These are now educated.

I say they want to rename it because when you google 'swine flu' you find out that, in the U.S. in 1976, the vaccination killed more than the disease did. If people google whatever the new name might be this information is less likely to come up. Now, refute the logic of that if you can.

Actually, I think Obama is using pork GROWERS to change the name; for the same purpose aforementioned; rather than non-pork-eaters.

At least, pork-growers, and 'eat more pork' has been a lot of the rhetoric I am hearing.

GunnyFreedom
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM

Regardless of the fact that I think this whole thing is being intentionally hyped solely to give big pharma a steep profit on the verge of a Great Depression, and the FedGov an excuse to expand power, the above quote is actually true.

Most 'aerosol' viruses are coughed onto a surface, then that surface is touched by an uninfected person, and then they do something stupid like jab their fingers into their eyeball, or dig in their nose.

Simply by adopting practices like avoiding using your hands to touch your face until after you wash/sanitize your hands, will probably prevent most influenza infections.

There will always be the rare odd virus that gets coughed into the air, and remains airborne until it is inhaled by another person; but that is very uncommon, actually.

As a personal anecdote, I began adopting "anti-transition measures" such as not touching my face after encountering sick-ish people, and washing/sanitizing my hands whenever I think I may have been exposed to something; and I have been virus free for a decade now, without vaccination of any sort, and without avoiding sick people or sick buildings at all.

And before that, I tended to pick up viruses pretty easily. So, when it comes to maintaining proper anti-transmission practices such as avoiding touching your face and washing/sanitizing your hands more often, I am absolutely a believer.

Brian4Liberty
05-01-2009, 01:46 AM
Most 'aerosol' viruses are coughed onto a surface, then that surface is touched by an uninfected person, and then they do something stupid like jab their fingers into their eyeball, or dig in their nose.

Simply by adopting practices like avoiding using your hands to touch your face until after you wash/sanitize your hands, will probably prevent most influenza infections.

My main point is that this is a false theory that has been pushed for the past 15 years. No science backs it. As a matter of fact, real science is the opposite. Flues and colds and TB are airborne, and inhaled. They are not transferred by surfaces. Hand-washing is not effective in preventing them.

Hand-washing is great for avoiding a lot of other germs. But not the flu.

The theory you stated above is consistent with the official US CDC propaganda, but I don't buy it. Is there a reason I should?

GunnyFreedom
05-01-2009, 05:08 AM
My main point is that this is a false theory that has been pushed for the past 15 years. No science backs it. As a matter of fact, real science is the opposite. Flues and colds and TB are airborne, and inhaled. They are not transferred by surfaces. Hand-washing is not effective in preventing them.

Hand-washing is great for avoiding a lot of other germs. But not the flu.

The theory you stated above is consistent with the official US CDC propaganda, but I don't buy it. Is there a reason I should?

LOL ok the Mayo clinic is wrong. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'd post links, but am on my phone.