PDA

View Full Version : Dostoevsky v. the jooz! :)

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm continuing my reading of "The Brothers Karamazov", and came across a most interesting passage. :)

It goes, "It was known, too, that the young person had, epecially of late, been given to what is called "speculation," and that she(Grushenka) had shown marked abilities in that direction, so that many people began to say that she was no better than a Jew. It was not that she lent money on interest, but it was known, for instance, that she had for some time past, in partnership with old Karamazov, actually invested in the purchase of bad debts for a trifle, a tenth of their nominal value, and afterwards had made out of them ten times their value." (from page 180, Part III-ch 3 "An Onion")

Perhaps this book should be on the "must read fiction" list, yes? :D:confused::cool:

LibertyEagle
04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
You consider this a liberty book? :confused:

ARealConservative
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I've read it and enjoy most of his writing - especially Notes from Underground.

racist and collectivist mentality was quite common in that era, I would hardly place something in must read status simply for sharing this common trait.

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2009, 12:23 PM
You consider this a liberty book? :confused:

More of a thoughtful/philosophy type of book-a novel. Just throwing it out there for y'all to think about. (he portrays usury-aka reserve banking-as a bad/immoral thing, which is cool, IMHO. :cool:)

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I've read it and enjoy most of his writing - especially Notes from Underground.

racist and collectivist mentality was quite common in that era, I would hardly place something in must read status simply for sharing this common trait.

oky doky. Thanx! :)

Kotin
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Dostoevsky was a genious.

heavenlyboy34
04-28-2009, 01:14 PM

I agree! (and so did Solzhenitsyn, btw :cool:;))

He Who Pawns
04-28-2009, 08:45 PM

He even knew how to spell it. jk. :D

Dostoyevsky was the greatest writer ever. And I would not be surprised if he had some jewish blood himself! There are plenty of jooos in Russia.