PDA

View Full Version : Local CFL organizational structure legality

RCA
04-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Does anyone have base guidelines for how to set-up a local CFL group for legal purposes? For example, is it necessary to have a Treasurer to handle any donations received?

TastyWheat
04-28-2009, 04:12 PM
To my knowledge there aren't any official chapters. You just setup a group however you want and call it CFL. You'll be limited in what you do without legally forming a PAC or non-profit group but it's doable.

Matt Collins
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Well it's all based upon a hierarchy; the State CFL organization has regional coordinators with county coordinators underneath.

Jim Robinson
04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
How about doing fundraising under a personal name? If I had something to sell, or I accepted 'donations' they'd be mine, right? They'd just go to offset the personal expenses I've incurred for the group. Any gain would also be mine - not the group's. So then there'd be no need for a treasurer, or making the group a legal non-profit, right?

RCA
04-29-2009, 10:28 AM
How about doing fundraising under a personal name? If I had something to sell, or I accepted 'donations' they'd be mine, right? They'd just go to offset the personal expenses I've incurred for the group. Any gain would also be mine - not the group's. So then there'd be no need for a treasurer, or making the group a legal non-profit, right?

Jim,

I just spoke with Mark Cross. He said collecting internal donations for group projects from members should be ok (passing the hat), but trying to get donations from outside the group wouldn't be a good idea. Even if you are taking personal donations, it would be seen as giving money for the CFL cause.

-Ryan