PDA

View Full Version : Why women don't run for political office

Bradley in DC
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
The staff at the Miller Center of Public Affairs at the University of Virginia thought that this event might be of interest to you.

Be on the lookout for other similar opportunities sent on behalf of our friends and colleagues.

WHY WOMEN DON'T RUN FOR POLITICAL OFFICE

...AND WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THEY DO

with Jennifer Lawless, Brown University Professor and Political Expert

Location: Clark Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Va.
Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009

Time: Reception at 5:00 p.m. in Clark Hall Mural Room and Foyer, talk to follow in Clark Hall Room 107

Speaker:
Jennifer Lawless is Assistant Professor of Political Science and Public Policy at Brown University. She specializes in women and politics, public opinion, and statistics. In 2006, she ran for the Democratic nomination in Rhode Island's Second Congressional District. She is the co-author (with Richard L. Fox) of It Takes a Candidate: Why Women Don't Run for Office (Cambridge, 2005).

Free and open to the public.

Agent CSL
04-27-2009, 10:13 PM
I'll run when I'm learned enough to recite the entire Constitution. Backwards. While drunk.

Matt Collins
04-27-2009, 10:41 PM
BDC, Are you on FaceBook?

If so, please add me as a friend. I have some individuals I'd like to connect you up with.

Warrior_of_Freedom
04-27-2009, 11:10 PM
what is this feminist rhetoric?

nate895
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
So, why don't women run for political office?

idiom
04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
They don't?

New Zealand was the first country in the world in which all the highest offices were occupied by women, between March 2005 and August 2006: the Sovereign Queen Elizabeth II of New Zealand, Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright, Prime Minister Helen Clark, Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives Margaret Wilson and Chief Justice Dame Sian Elias.

They sure as hell do here.

Vessol
04-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Eh, give it a few decades. Cultures ease into it.