PDA

View Full Version : Gary Johnson or Mark Sanford?

newtoforums
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Which one is more likely to run and win some electoral votes?

I think Johnson sticks to his principles more but might not be electable as Sanford.

Gaius1981
04-27-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd go with Mark Sanford. You won't find a candidate who unifies the Libertarian and Republican voters more than he. He'd be the perfect candidate for 2012.

Mini-Me
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I admit I haven't really looked into either of these guys much, but from what I've gathered...isn't Mark Sanford pretty much just a toned-down neocon (pro-Big Brother, pro-empire, etc.), only slightly modified with passable fiscal conservatism? Correct me if I'm wrong about him, of course, but settling for a guy like that is kind of like naive young leftists settling for a guy like Obama.

JoshLowry
04-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I admit I haven't really looked into either of these guys much, but from what I've gathered...isn't Mark Sanford pretty much just a toned-down neocon (pro-Big Brother, pro-empire, etc.), only slightly modified with passable fiscal conservatism? Correct me if I'm wrong about him, of course, but settling for a guy like that is kind of like naive young leftists settling for a guy like Obama.

I believe you are correct.

Sanford voiced support for preemptively striking North Korea.

RP got so many of us active because he cured our apathy. Sanford would only encourage me to be apathetic.

kathy88
04-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Johnson for me.

AuH20
04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Sanford because Johnson thinks the border is a plaything. Today's events prove for the umpteenth time it's not.

SimpleName
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Gary Johnson has true libertarian views. After some research, I've realized Sanford is not the real deal. He is a "disciple" (if you will) of Newt Gingrich and is very shady about his foreign policy, which now appears to be much closer to Gingrich than I would like. Sanford will get more votes most likely, but Gary Johnson is a very principled guy. He even went so far as to privatize New Mexico's prisons (if someone would like to let me know the results of the experiment, please do). I wish I just knew how good his debating is. I DO NOT trust Sanford, but he would get more votes.

Dreamofunity
04-27-2009, 05:30 PM
I won't support Sanford.

ClayTrainor
04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I won't support Sanford.

+1

Johnson wins by default. Sanford is a neo-con, with some good conservative values. It saddens me that people here would consider supporting him as hard as they supported paul :(

Johnson or Paul should go for the Republican Nod, and Ventura should run independent if they should fail to win.

dannno
04-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Sanford because Johnson thinks the border is a plaything. Today's events prove for the umpteenth time it's not.

Um, no, you're wrong. Gary Johnson is the one with the solution to this problem, and Sanford is not. That is the difference. Sanford can talk about the border all day long, just like the neocons, but he will continue the War on Drugs which is the ROOT cause of the violence. Both are libertarian which would discourage people from coming over and becoming dependent on government, because they won't have a government to become "dependent" on.

Not to mention he is hawkish on wars. I guarentee most Ron Paul supporters won't vote for him because of that.

dr. hfn
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I want Gary Johnson to go head to head with Sanford!