PDA

View Full Version : In GOP base, a 'rebellion brewing'

lynnf
04-26-2009, 09:02 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21677.html

There is little appetite for compromise on what many see as core issues, and the road to the presidential nomination lies – as always – through a series of states where the conservative base holds sway, and where the anger appears to be, if anything, particularly intense.

"There is a sense of rebellion brewing," said Katon Dawson, the outgoing South Carolina Republican Party chairman, who cited unexpectedly high attendance at anti-tax “tea parties” last week.

That same sense is detectable in New Hampshire, where Union Leader publisher Joseph McQuaid – a stalwart of the base – warned in a column last weekend that the push for same-sex marriage in the state legislature was really about “forcing society to embrace and give positive reinforcement to their lifestyle and agenda in our schools and in every other area of public life imaginable.”

lynn

TheConstitutionLives
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
These idiot republicans don't get it. Marriage b/w consenting adults is none of your F-ing business!

tonesforjonesbones
04-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Gay marriage should NOT be pushed on the PEOPLE...68% of the folks in the USA are against it. Get the government OUT of marriage..fine. People are going to resist this gay marriage business. Republicans are NOT the only ones against it, democrats, independents, constitution party, and THIS libertarian..do NOT want this forced down our throats. TONES!

speciallyblend
04-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Gay marriage should NOT be pushed on the PEOPLE...68% of the folks in the USA are against it. Get the government OUT of marriage..fine. People are going to resist this gay marriage business. Republicans are NOT the only ones against it, democrats, independents, constitution party, and THIS libertarian..do NOT want this forced down our throats. TONES!

well good luck with the marriage BS issue, this will help kill the rebellion/revolution. the fact is it is not your business or mine or anyones what they do if married by the state and if your church has anything to say about a state marriage . then we should tax that church. the fact is any church has a right to marry and a marriage between a man and woman or man and man or woman and woman are none of yours or mines business.
and there is no way their marriage affects the sanctity of me and my wifes marriage. this issue will be the death of the gop. i can promise you that:mad:

LIBERTY has NO PARTY, the marriage issue will so backfire on the gop. religion and yours and my beliefs do not factor in on a persons liberty. EVERYONES LIBERTY

good luck with losing the base your trying to build on that one.

this is going to be interesting to watch. i am pretty much speechless.

LIBERTY FOR YOU AND NO ONE ELSE IS WHAT YOUR SAYING!!

speciallyblend
04-26-2009, 09:37 PM
These idiot republicans don't get it. Marriage b/w consenting adults is none of your F-ing business!

i hear you, screw liberty in the gop. great platform issue for the gop;)

speciallyblend
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM

anyone forcing you to marry??? if not wtf are you even worried about?? really geeez good luck!! hmmm this issue really amazes me!!

you let me know when anyone is forced to marry ok?? are there gay pushers???? we better call the D.E.A;)

heavenlyboy34
04-26-2009, 09:41 PM

FWIW, this anarcho-libertarian agrees with ya on this issue, Tonesy.

The State must die for man to be truly free! :cool:

Original_Intent
04-26-2009, 09:43 PM
well good luck with the marriage BS issue, this will help kill the rebellion/revolution. the fact is it is not your business or mine or anyones what they do if married by the state and if your church has anything to say about a state marriage . then we should tax that church. the fact is any church has a right to marry and a marriage between a man and woman or man and man or woman and woman are none of yours or mines business.
and there is no way their marriage affects the sanctity of me and my wifes marriage. this issue will be the death of the gop. i can promise you that:mad:

LIBERTY has NO PARTY, the marriage issue will so backfire on the gop. religion and yours and mine beliefs do not factor in on a persons liberty. EVERYONES LIBERTY

good luck with losing the base your trying to build on that one.

this is going to be interesting to watch. i am pretty much speechless.

LIBERTY FOR YOU AND NO ONE ELSE IS WHAT YOUR SAYING!!

You sure don't hear people out there making the same case for polygamy, but it is the same thing.

As far as the gay marriage thing - most people really don't give a crap what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. But with gay marriage I really feel that the Gay community is trying to force societal approval of their lifestyle by law. As long as I don't intrude on their freedom, I should be free to feel however I like about homosexuality. I say get the government out of the marriage business.

speciallyblend
04-26-2009, 09:45 PM
You sure don't hear people out there making the same case for polygamy, but it is the same thing.

well good luck winning voters on that issue, i wish you folks well on that one:eek:

i cannot wait to see the next election based on this issue;)

gay marriage and polgamy the same ,that should be an ad, lmfao

tonesforjonesbones
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
What is some of you folks fascination with gay marriage? LEAVE IT TO THE STATES AND TO THE PEOPLE...if the people vote for it FINE if they don't FINE..tones

Has there been ONE state where the people have voted FOR gay marriage or has it been SHOVED on the people by activist courts? YOU think this is ok? TONES

james1906
04-26-2009, 09:54 PM
The easiest way to defile any sacred ceremony is for the government to get involved.

LittleLightShining
04-27-2009, 05:31 AM
you sure don't hear people out there making the same case for polygamy, but it is the same thing.

As far as the gay marriage thing - most people really don't give a crap what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. But with gay marriage i really feel that the gay community is trying to force societal approval of their lifestyle by law. As long as i don't intrude on their freedom, i should be free to feel however i like about homosexuality. I say get the government out of the marriage business.

the easiest way to defile any sacred ceremony is for the government to get involved.
this

lynnf
04-27-2009, 06:12 AM
this

littlelightshining:
if your "this" was supposed to be a link, it didn't take

lynn

tonesforjonesbones
04-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I think we all agree that it would be best to get the government out of almost everything..alas, gay marriage is a 10th amendment issue. tones

xd9fan
04-27-2009, 06:34 AM
In my religion, marriage is a sacrement btwn a man and a woman.(now the state wants to refine it for me)....and I NEED a licence from the Govt.

NOPE....NO CHURCH AND STATE ISSUE HERE!!!

f'ing idiots

wake up people

Gays can call it something else and they can do it without using Govt force to get their way.
Pretty sure the US Federal Govt didnt coin the term marriage.

The Govt and the Gay community can come up with another word. Instead of using law and force to refine MY religions languge and sacremental practise.

freedom of religion......yeah right.........

klamath
04-27-2009, 07:05 AM
well good luck winning voters on that issue, i wish you folks well on that one:eek:

The State of California, the most socially tolerant state in the Union that voted 60% and better for Obama also passed a gay marriage ban.
Big anti republican issue that is going to make them keep losing elections?:rolleyes:
I do believe it was other issues that got the republicans in trouble. Me thinks as much as you hate republicans you want them to adopt support for gay marriage so they wont ever win anywhere and definately not in the state of California.
The platform the Republicans should adopt is "get the government out of marriage".

tonesforjonesbones
04-27-2009, 07:13 AM
xd9 fan..righton. tones

torchbearer
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
The State of California, the most socially tolerant state in the Union that voted 60% and better for Obama also passed a gay marriage ban.
Big anti republican issue that is going to make them keep losing elections?:rolleyes:
I do believe it was other issues that got the republicans in trouble. Me thinks as much as you hate republicans you want them to adopt support for gay marriage so they wont ever win anywhere and definately not in the state of California.
The platform the Republicans should adopt is "get the government out of marriage".

The mormons were shipped in groves to get their religious views forced on people through democracy.
its a losing issue, and if the religious freaks keep pushing it, this revolution is dead in the water.
I'm not standing beside someone who is so intolerant of others that they want to forbid the contract. fuck that.

AuH2O
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM

Every single time the public has had a chance to vote on it, they have rejected same-sex marriage in favor of traditional marriage. In California, for example, where you might expect a favorable electorate.

In Iowa, they have done everything they can to cut the people out of having a say, because it is clear how overwhelming the reaction would be. The courts had to impose it, and the legislators had to kill an amendment (they didn't even vote it down) from being voted on by the people. Since they killed it without being voted on, it will be more difficult for the pro-trad marr people to get the pro-same sex marriage legislators out because they avoided going on the record, but you can guarantee some seats will be changing hands because of this issue.

acptulsa
04-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Thermite dust in the 9/11 wreckage, billions given to corporate executives so they can get 'performance bonuses' before filing bankruptcy, the first, second, fourth, fifth, ninth and tenth amendments under direct and immediate attack, illegal wiretapping, government live flu cultures missing and an epidemic in the making...

I don't think this issue is distracting enough any more. Maybe if they did something to dredge up the specter of bestiality they can keep us from uniting against them...

speciallyblend
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
The mormons were shipped in groves to get their religious views forced on people through democracy.
its a losing issue, and if the religious freaks keep pushing it, this revolution is dead in the water.
I'm not standing beside someone who is so intolerant of others that they want to forbid the contract. fuck that.

pretty much where i stand!

speciallyblend
04-27-2009, 09:32 AM
Every single time the public has had a chance to vote on it, they have rejected same-sex marriage in favor of traditional marriage. In California, for example, where you might expect a favorable electorate.

In Iowa, they have done everything they can to cut the people out of having a say, because it is clear how overwhelming the reaction would be. The courts had to impose it, and the legislators had to kill an amendment (they didn't even vote it down) from being voted on by the people. Since they killed it without being voted on, it will be more difficult for the pro-trad marr people to get the pro-same sex marriage legislators out because they avoided going on the record, but you can guarantee some seats will be changing hands because of this issue.

the point is there shouldn't be any vote on it. no church is forced to marry gays!! it is none of anyones business if 2 gays get married. that is the bottom line. the church shouldn't have a say in another persons marriage . the church has the option not to marry.

the state and church have no copyright on marriage. i married my wife once with out the church or state .when i said i do and asked her!! a state marriage is only so they have legal rights for gays and the church and state have no copyright on the word marriage. if so i would love to see the copyright documents! is it a registered trademark??

people choose to get married by a state or church. so if you do not want government to get involved in your marriage. then do not involve the state,unless you need legal protection.

I Do was enough for me and my wife. We did get married by the state and an ordained minister. that was our choice!!

klamath
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Regardless of how pro gay agenda wants to make this an Gay rights versus straight rights only it is far deeper than that. Every business will be forced to give benefits to gay people by the state. Gay righters always shuffle off comparisons to poligomy but the fact is they are very real logical conparisons. There is a lot more poligomists in the world than gays, so shouldn't they have those rights to get married and therefore have the right to force their employers, through equal rights suits to grant their spouses and children benefits? The only solution is to get the government out of the whole issue.
California did not try and ban gay marriage until gay groups forced the issue into the courts and set the precedent that they were entitled to all benefits private employers gave to other married couples.
If I was employing people I wouldn't be against giving a gay employee benefits that I gave others but I don't believe the state should force the business next to me to do it. Everyone has the right to view how they believe the societal norms should be. If you don't like their view you can boycott them.

mczerone
04-27-2009, 11:17 AM
i hear you, screw liberty in the gop. great platform issue for the gop;)

I read that as a single term.

We need to fight for our "screw liberties!" :)

mczerone
04-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Regardless of how pro gay agenda wants to make this an Gay rights versus straight rights only it is far deeper than that. Every business will be forced to give benefits to gay people by the state. Gay righters always shuffle off comparisons to poligomy but the fact is they are very real logical conparisons. There is a lot more poligomists in the world than gays, so shouldn't they have those rights to get married and therefore have the right to force their employers, through equal rights suits to grant their spouses and children benefits? The only solution is to get the government out of the whole issue.
California did not try and ban gay marriage until gay groups forced the issue into the courts and set the precedent that they were entitled to all benefits private employers gave to other married couples.
If I was employing people I wouldn't be against giving a gay employee benefits that I gave others but I don't believe the state should force the business next to me to do it. Everyone has the right to view how they believe the societal norms should be. If you don't like their view you can boycott them.

So employers, as many already do, should offer "you plus one" coverage, with costs for each additional. There's no reason your employer should really care if you are married or related to who you want to cover either.

And you are right about the boycotting, consumers have been lead to believe that they are powerless without government making rules for them.

Liberty is the freedom to choose. An employer who gives special treatment to religion should be able to choose to do so, and I'll choose to not support them.

AuH2O
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
the point is there shouldn't be any vote on it. no church is forced to marry gays!! it is none of anyones business if 2 gays get married. that is the bottom line. the church shouldn't have a say in another persons marriage . the church has the option not to marry.

the state and church have no copyright on marriage. i married my wife once with out the church or state .when i said i do and asked her!! a state marriage is only so they have legal rights for gays and the church and state have no copyright on the word marriage. if so i would love to see the copyright documents! is it a registered trademark??

people choose to get married by a state or church. so if you do not want government to get involved in your marriage. then do not involve the state,unless you need legal protection.

I Do was enough for me and my wife. We did get married by the state and an ordained minister. that was our choice!!

Your point, which I was responding to, was about how opposition to gay marriage is not appealing to voters, according to you. I am merely pointing out that it most certainly is, for better or worse.

LittleLightShining
04-29-2009, 04:58 AM
littlelightshining:
if your "this" was supposed to be a link, it didn't take

lynn

No I was agreeing with what I quoted.

Bern
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
As long as the federal government is taxing income and providing special rules for married couples, this will be an issue. Legal married status affects a lot of financial dynamics including insurance coverages/plans and taxes. I believe that this is the crux of the debate for gay marriage.

The crying over socialized acceptance of gay lifestyles is just a display of bigotry IMO.

speciallyblend
04-29-2009, 06:11 AM
the gop has no clue how close to the cliff they are in my book!! http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190568

speciallyblend
04-29-2009, 06:12 AM
As long as the federal government is taxing income and providing special rules for married couples, this will be an issue. Legal married status affects a lot of financial dynamics including insurance coverages/plans and taxes. I believe that this is the crux of the debate for gay marriage.

The crying over socialized acceptance of gay lifestyles is just a display of bigotry IMO.

i agree with you;) if the gop runs on gay marriage. they will only marginalize themselves further. I cannot support bigots!!!

acptulsa
04-29-2009, 06:14 AM
the gop has no clue how close to the cliff they are in my book!!

I disagree. I think they do. They just don't know any other way to fix it besides representing the people with integrity until they regain a decent reputation, and this seems to be more than they're willing to do. Which is why we scare them so much.

speciallyblend
04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
I disagree. I think they do. They just don't know any other way to fix it besides representing the people with integrity until they regain a decent reputation, and this seems to be more than they're willing to do. Which is why we scare them so much.

they only have one choice left embrace us and our platform,if they try to embrace us and ignore our platform. then they will not get our votes.

they better start listening to the the CFL and us ,or there will be no gop!!

acptulsa
04-29-2009, 06:25 AM
Yup. They ran out of cards and started bluffing. Now we've called that bluff. No wonder they hate us.

speciallyblend
04-29-2009, 06:28 AM
Yup. They ran out of cards and started bluffing. Now we've called that bluff. No wonder they hate us.

this last couple of days i have replayed our colorado convention in my head. the gop is in serious trouble. they need a emergency icu . The icu is us;)

acptulsa
04-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Yeah, they need an infusion all right. And a transfusion. The problem we're having is, much of the active base of the G.O.P. is hopelessly addicted to the imperialism-flavored Kool Aid. We desperately need to get more independents--and Democrats--registered and active in the Republican Party. Only then can we get our candidates through the primaries.

And the more they follow Pelosi's lead and pander to the super-rich--and the more people like Lieberman and Specter flop around playing for advantage--the better our chances are. Democrats aren't nearly as likely to support those who screw them just to be 'team players'. We need to use that to our advantage.

And I think the corruptability of large-scale socialism as proven time and time again--in the U.S.S.R., China and other places--is our key to unlocking this potential. If you can get fifty-one percent of the people in your state to vote for state-level socialism, we'll disagree but we won't deny the right, but please come help us clean up that God-forsaken mess in D.C!! It's a sales pitch that works.

slacker921
04-29-2009, 06:44 AM
From what I'm seeing at my county GOP meetings and district GOP convention... .we're heading for even more social conservatism, and even more fear/war mongering. I have no doubt that the GOP will find people to follow them and support them in that direction just as they have in the past.. just go read hotair.com and you'll find some of the people who will be there cheering them on.

I'm giving it until the state convention and if I don't see a change in direction then I'll put some serious time and money into making sure the GOP in NC continues to slide into the abyss.

acptulsa
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm giving it until the state convention and if I don't see a change in direction then I'll put some serious time and money into making sure the GOP in NC continues to slide into the abyss.

Don't destroy the vehicle--attract allies and hijack it. No shame in hijacking a political party and forcing it to represent the people for a change.

heavenlyboy34
04-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Don't destroy the vehicle--attract allies and hijack it. No shame in hijacking a political party and forcing it to represent the people for a change.

It must be destroyed before productive progress can come! :D:):cool: