PDA

View Full Version : best thing to drink?

satchelmcqueen
04-25-2009, 08:06 PM
im trying to stop drinking cola of any kind and also kool aid since its still high in sugar. so other than water, what is a very healthy thing to drink on a daily or regular basis? or what can be mixed with water thats healthy and cheap to kill the sometimes bland/boring taste?

evilfunnystuff
04-25-2009, 08:10 PM
gatorade has a lot less crap in it than pop

you can get the powder in a can that will make 6 gallons for 8 bux

not all the flavors are great though imo

i like the cool blue the fruit punch and the grape

steve005
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
distilled water, it tastes so good

asimplegirl
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Nope. It contains artificial colors and flavors along with HFCS.

I personally just like reverse osmosis water and lemon. If I need something really good, I can macerate some berries, squeeze a half a lemon, add a couple spoons of organic sugar, and fill up with water. Makes good berry lemonade.

For a special treat, not all the time, I macerate some berries, place in some ice, pour on a little of half and half, and then pour over some carbonated water. Italian cream soda. YUM.

Hubby like juicy juice, claims it was the best thing to get off the Mountain Dew. LOL.

Kludge
04-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Sparkling water + whatever.

asimplegirl
04-25-2009, 08:23 PM
The flavored sparkling waters contain aspartame to sweeten, so be careful of that. IMO, Perrier is the best sparkling water.

PatriotG
04-25-2009, 08:29 PM
I like San Pellegrino. But its an acquired taste. My grandparents drank it every day and they both lived to 99. They were also big wine drinkers.
San Pell is at Costco 12.00 bucks for 12 bottles. Damn good price.

amy31416
04-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Moonshine.

JeNNiF00F00
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
I was told by a doctor NOT to drink Gatorade unless I was playing sports and sweating on a field. The reason is because I have borderline high blood pressure(at times) and Gatorade is high in sodium.

LittleLightShining
04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I like San Pellegrino. But its an acquired taste. My grandparents drank it every day and they both lived to 99. They were also big wine drinkers.
San Pell is at Costco 12.00 bucks for 12 bottles. Damn good price.
San Pellegrino is the best. Gerolsteiner is good, too.

Ice cold water tastes good to me. I have a really hard time drinking water that isn't cold.

Homemade iced tea made from regular black or green brewed tea with sugar or honey? Sometimes in the summer I brew up a bunch of Celestial Seasonings fruit tea (or something like it) and keep it in the fridge. If you like it sweet mix in a little honey to taste while its still hot.

Iced coffee? I like mine sweet with cream.

zach
04-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Sparkling water + whatever.

This.

Or, fill a bottle 50/50 with juice and water.

San Pellegrino has special waters that have orange or lemon juice in them.. though the closest place to here that has it is somewhere in Pittsburgh. :(

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I was told by a doctor NOT to drink Gatorade unless I was playing sports and sweating on a field. The reason is because I have borderline high blood pressure(at times) and Gatorade is high in sodium.

Gatorade has twice the amount electrolytes that are healthy for you if you are sweating or if your using it as a rehydration fluid and should be diluted to 50%.

rehydration fluids are used when you are loosing a a lot of fluids, be that dehydrated in a desert/heat exhaustion, not able to keep anything down and vomiting or a serious case of the runs - generally guirdia. They can be life savers.

As an alternative drink - I'm rather fond of ice tea - and maybe some lemon.

-t

Roxi
04-25-2009, 09:35 PM
im trying to stop drinking cola of any kind and also kool aid since its still high in sugar. so other than water, what is a very healthy thing to drink on a daily or regular basis? or what can be mixed with water thats healthy and cheap to kill the sometimes bland/boring taste?

you should also try Smart Water (http://www.glaceu.com)

its the best tasting water i have ever had, and im not a fan of drinking just water..

also orange juice is one of my faves

Vessol
04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Tea.

Hot Tea or Iced Tea, maybe sweet tea.

Lots of nice antioxidants.

BeFranklin
04-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Get a water filter. You'll be amazed at how well filtered water tastes, and start wondering if you've been sub-consciously avoiding the water because of the taste.

youngbuck
04-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Try some different teas. You can sweeten them with a small amount of raw honey if desired. Organic Green Tea is a good one for your health.

Kombucha is a tasty tonic you can get at most health food stores. I love the stuff, and plan on brewin my own.

Then of course there is raw milk from organic pasture-fed cows that is an all around superfood :)

From that you can make Kefir which is chock full of beneficial properties..

Oh, and don't forget, fresh, clean WATER.

Paulitical Correctness
04-25-2009, 10:43 PM
A lemon (or lime) can go a long way.

When I made an effort to only drink water and was used to sodas and junk I transitioned by doing this.

satchelmcqueen
04-25-2009, 10:49 PM
im gonna have to experiment. you have all gave me some good ideals. im thinking water + lemon juice, water + blue or raspberry mush or strawberry mush, water + gator aid powder mix diluted 8ptsw 2ptsga (just for taste), and all the OJ i can afford.

keep the ideals coming if you have more.

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
One person that I have immense respect for beat non-hodgkins lymphoma through food/nutrition after he was given a death sentence by his oncologist. At a lecture that he gave, he was asked if he had to give up coffee. He answered with all of the authority one could hope for on the subject,
"I would rather die than give up coffee!"
:)

Ninja Homer
04-26-2009, 12:14 AM
A good single malt. :D

Really, it depends on how much sweetness you need. Sweetened tea is a good replacement for soda because it still has the caffeine kick. Water with a slice of lemon or lime is good. Try adding honey, maple syrup, or stevia if you need it sweeter.

You might find that once you're off the soda for a while, you start to really appreciate just plain ol' good water. Personally, I like it at room temperature.

For all the Gatorade lovers: if you just like it for the flavor, that's cool, I like the flavor too. But really, it has way too much sugar for a "sports drink". If you really need electrolytes (which takes about 3 hours of really intense exercise) Pedialyte is a lot better for you, because it has the electrolytes without all the sugar. An even better electrolyte drink is to just mix a little natural sea salt with good water.

VIDEODROME
04-26-2009, 01:25 AM
Chai Spice Tea

LATruth
04-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Filtered water, squeezed lemon, natural syrup or honey. Au-natural lemonade!

virgil47
05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I prefer 8oz. of cold spring water with 10 drops of grape flavored liquid Stevia. Stevia is an all natural sweetener that has no sugar or carbs in it. It does not cause an insulin spike as do many of the artificial sweeteners. It is made from a small bush grown in South America and has been in use as a sweetener for over 1,000 years. It is approximately 300 times as sweet as sugar. I also use it in its powdered form to sweeten coffee as it has no after taste.

Andrew-Austin
05-01-2009, 10:07 PM
When I stopped drinking Soda, I moved to tea and the different flavors of Ocean Spray juice.

DirtMcGirt
05-01-2009, 10:12 PM
http://www.simplenomics.com/wp-images/vitaminwaterxxx.jpg

Vitamin water xxx is legit

idiom
05-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Aloe Vera Juice? YUM.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10946244/Aloe_Vera_Juice.jpg

Beats the crap out of Corticosteroids too!

Kludge
05-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Aloe Vera Juice? YUM.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/10946244/Aloe_Vera_Juice.jpg

Beats the crap out of Corticosteroids too!

It's sold by a company called Misori (or is it Star?)....?

amy31416
05-02-2009, 12:57 AM
Moonshine.

BuddyRey
05-02-2009, 02:17 AM
Over the last few months, I've really taught myself to love orange juice. It doesn't have to be breakfast time for me to raid the fridge and knock back a glass or two of the stuff!

Ozwest
05-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Sun Tea. Cheap, inexpensive and easy. Add sugar if you need to.

Objectivist
05-02-2009, 05:53 AM

Still has a ton of sugar, as do most fruit drinks. Green Tea unsweetened or water. I'm a coffee guy and I drink at least a gallon of water per day.

Read the labels people, you might be shocked by the sugar content.

Todd
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Chai Spice Tea

Filtered water, squeezed lemon, natural syrup or honey. Au-natural lemonade!

Any Tea is great and lemonade too.
These are the best of the bunch. Unfortunately most anything other than water and natural juices is going to be bad.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Green tea. It's by far one of the most healthy drinks. Not the most tasty to some palates. The best from my research is Japanese Sencha Green Tea. From what I've read it has the most healthful benefits of any green tea, chinese or otherwise.

In addition to honey as a natural sweetner, try Stevia leaf. I hated it when I first tried it, but they have some now that are much sweeter and it's about the healthiest sweetner I know of besides honey.

dannno
05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Trader Joes has some amazing juices. Some of them like the mango lemonade and ginger lemonade you can add water and it comes out being about half the price as juice from the grocery store, and it's all real fruit juice, zero crap.

asimplegirl
05-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Gatorade has twice the amount electrolytes that are healthy for you if you are sweating or if your using it as a rehydration fluid and should be diluted to 50%.

rehydration fluids are used when you are loosing a a lot of fluids, be that dehydrated in a desert/heat exhaustion, not able to keep anything down and vomiting or a serious case of the runs - generally guirdia. They can be life savers.

As an alternative drink - I'm rather fond of ice tea - and maybe some lemon.

-t

Smart water can do the same thing, costs less and gives you more product for the price.

Gatorade has many artificial additives, coloring, flavors, etc, as well as HFCS, and high sodium.

I would suggest some PLAIN sparkling water mixed with a natural juice, or even what you call fruit mush.

I personally like to have strawberries, pureed with lemon juice (you could even use the bottled stuff), and honey to taste. Place this in the fridge to chill, and when you want a special drink, pour a little into a glass, then pour in some ice cold sparkling water.

(Even better is an Italian cream soda, but I don't recommend drinking it often as it is full of fat...make your drink as directed above with ice, and pour on a little heavy cream....stir...mmmmmm)

Remember, many flavored sparkling waters have aspartame and artificial flavoring.

There is a brand of all natural, organic teas and drinks called "Sweet Leaf", made in Austin Tx....they have cherry limeade, lemonade, Pomegranate sweet green tea, plain sweet tea, peach sweet tea, green tea, many flavors for all the different teas. They are VERY good, yet the sweetness is not as much as the cokes. :)

http://www.sweetleaftea.com/flash.php

Krugerrand
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Drink this ... and you'll feel great!

It comes at a high cost: freedom, liberty, justice, and 85% of your paycheck.

http://stutteringmessiah.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/obama-kool-aid.jpg

Kraig
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Get a water filter. You'll be amazed at how well filtered water tastes, and start wondering if you've been sub-consciously avoiding the water because of the taste.

+1 I just got a water filter about a year ago and now I can't stand the taste of normal tap water.

MyLibertyStuff
05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
http://collegecandy.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/19/vodka.jpg

hawaiisb
05-16-2009, 02:06 PM
I like reverse osmosis water straight or a nice herbal tea made with it.

asimplegirl
05-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I like reverse osmosis water straight or a nice herbal tea made with it.

This is why I like Primo brand water. And, it is very affordable. There are even refillable stations.

DamianTV
05-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Moonshine.

+1

gabed99
05-17-2009, 11:14 AM
acai drink, the brazilian berry packed with anti-oxidants. If your dehydrated or working out try pedialyte instead of gatorade.

Working Poor
05-17-2009, 11:45 AM
I love to make iced tea from the mint in my garden it is very refreshing in the hot summer. I don't add any sugar.

heavenlyboy34
05-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Trader Joes has some amazing juices. Some of them like the mango lemonade and ginger lemonade you can add water and it comes out being about half the price as juice from the grocery store, and it's all real fruit juice, zero crap.

+1 TJ's is awesome! Whole Foods Market has some good stuff too. :cool:

FunkBuddha
05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I can't believe I went through 5 pages of posts and no one said Fiji water.

But seriously, I went from drinking 4-5 sodas a day to where I pretty much only drink coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. Once you get used to drinking a lot of water, nothing else will quench your thirst. I hardly ever drink soda anymore. I carry a 32 oz water bottle with me everywhere I go.

When I fill up at home the water is filtered but when I fill up elsewhere I take what I can get.

One thing that drives me crazy though is that when I get water at a restaurant everyone looks at me like I'm a cheap-ass. Not that I'm not a cheap-ass but I just prefer a glass of ice-water now.