PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic in the making

WarDog
04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Canada's chief public health officer expressed deep concern about a swine influenza outbreak gripping Mexico and the southwestern United States as health officials around the world went on high alert for a potential global flu pandemic.

"This is very concerning, clearly. That's why we're all paying attention," David Butler-Jones said yesterday. "What it will lead to is impossible to predict."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090425.ILLNESS25ART2116/EmailTPStory/National

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Anyone remember these?

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/bio/resource/research.html

-t

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 06:15 PM
I have officially called Bullsh*t on the global flu pandemic.

Original_Intent
04-25-2009, 06:25 PM
I think people should take precautions but not work themselves into a panic.

LibertyWorker
04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
The Sheppard’s are culling the heard.

literatim
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
The logical thing to do would be to shut off the border to try and stop the spread.

I don't foresee that. There could be an outbreak of ebola in Mexico and they wouldn't shut off the border.

steve005
04-25-2009, 07:38 PM
we need to shut down border ourselves

TER
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
As an emergency doctor working out of the Northeast, I can tell you that I have diagnosed some pretty sick patients with rapid influenza testing showing Influenza A within the past 3 weeks. My colleages have also commented about how peculiar this trend has been. I know it is still early and I am in no way an epidemiologist, but I fear this is already quite widespread in the States and the scope of it is just coming to light.
Perhaps that why the CDC is already making their disclaimer that its too late to contain...

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks doc! - very useful to know.

Did you follow up on any of them? - did they all make it? 6-7% fatality rate is being reported.

-t

Vessol
04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
As an emergency doctor working out of the Northeast, I can tell you that I have diagnosed some pretty sick patients with rapid influenza testing showing Influenza A within the past 3 weeks. My colleages have also commented about how peculiar this trend has been. I know it is still early and I am in no way an epidemiologist, but I fear this is already quite widespread in the States and the scope of it is just coming to light.
Perhaps that why the CDC is already making their disclaimer that its too late to contain...

Careful. A lot of people here seem to think that it's a sham and not dangerous.

TER
04-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks doc! - very useful to know.

Did you follow up on any of them? - did they all make it? 6-7% fatality rate is being reported.

-t

I haven't followed up with the ones that were discharged from the ED. As far as I know, none have died. As for the fatality rate of 7%, have you heard what data they are basing that on?

free.alive
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
This is good for government.

Also, a headline on Drudge says: 'NO EVIDENCE' OF BIOTERROR...

If you've seen "Wag the Dog" you this would look both hilarious and troublesome. "There is no threat in Albania. Any situation there has no relation to the situation with the B3 Bomber."

Wash your hands, skip the pork this week, and most of all, go about your business.

tangent4ronpaul
04-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I haven't followed up with the ones that were discharged from the ED. As far as I know, none have died. As for the fatality rate of 7%, have you heard what data they are basing that on?

It's been stated in some of the CDC reports and if you do the math on number sick vs number dead - that's what you come up with.

-t