PDA

View Full Version : Mexico gov't decrees special powers in flu crisis

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN25479998

MEXICO CITY, April 25 (Reuters) - Mexican President Felipe Calderon issued an emergency decree on Saturday giving the government special powers to run tests on sick people and order them isolated to fight the deadly flu crisis.

Mexico City has already shut schools and museums and canceled sporting and cultural events as an outbreak of a new type of swine flu killed up to 68 people in the country and spread north to infect some people in the United States.

Saturday's decree, published in Mexico's official journal, gives the government power to isolate sick people, enter homes or workplaces and regulate air, sea and land transportation to try to stop further infection.

The flu has rattled residents of Mexico's overcrowded capital of some 20 million people.

Calderon tried to calm Mexicans earlier on Saturday, saying the flue was curable. He said health authorities easily had enough antiviral medicine for the 1,000 or so people suspected to be infected with the swine flu and that his government was monitoring the situation "minute by minute."

Tests on Saturday showed eight New York City schoolchildren had a type A influenza virus likely to be the same type as the Mexican flu, adding to nine people in California and Texas who tested positive for it, although they later recovered. Two swine flu cases were also confirmed in Kansas.

The World Health Organization declared the outbreaks a "public health event of international concern" and urged all countries to boost their surveillance for any unusual outbreaks of influenza-like illness and severe pneumonia.

The agency stopped short of raising the threat level to a pandemic -- a global epidemic of a serious disease.

Mexico City residents mainly hunkered down at home on Saturday, as children's parties were canceled and bars were closed and many of those on the street wore surgical masks. (Reporting by Catherine Bremer; Editing by Peter Cooney)

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Weird thing.

Doesn't seem to be killing people in the US, yet the gov't is ramping up like it's The Stand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aBfUaG5IHbVU&refer=home
================================================== =====
GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s flu treatment Relenza and Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu appear effective against the strains of the virus the CDC has tested, the companies said. Glaxo has “ample supplies” of Relenza, Sarah Alspach, spokeswoman for the London-based drugmaker, said yesterday in a telephone interview. Roche, based in Basel, Switzerland, has a stockpile of 5 million Tamiflu doses ready to deploy if WHO asks, said Terry Hurley, a company spokesman.

The U.S. isn’t restricting travel to Mexico, Besser said. Cordova, Mexico’s health minister, said there’s no need to shut workplaces, and the pace of infections and deaths has slowed in the past day. The first case of the swine flu was seen in Mexico on April 13.

torchbearer
04-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I think it is better to not go with the hype until there really is a reason.
60 dead in mexico is not something to inspire mass fear.
the government needs to release more bio-canisters than that.

ItsTime
04-25-2009, 06:00 PM

I was about to ask how many people have actually died from it, that were not already half dead.

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Seems to me like they're trying to ramp up fear over very little.

WHO almost declaring a "pandemic"? WTF?

I am officially calling Bullsh*t.

If BO declares "special powers", we'll know what's up.

ItsTime
04-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Seems to me like they're trying to ramp up fear over very little.

WHO almost declaring a "pandemic"? WTF?

I am officially calling Bullsh*t.

If BO declares "special powers", we'll know what's up.

WTF pandemic? Well I guess we shall see if it is in the coming weeks.

tropicangela
04-25-2009, 06:39 PM

This article below has a comment that says 200+ people died.

I work as a resident doctor in one of the biggest hospitals in Mexico City and sadly, the situation is far from “under control”. As a doctor, I realise that the media does not report the truth. Authorities distributed vaccines among all the medical personnel with no results, because two of my partners who worked in this hospital (interns) were killed by this new virus in less than six days even though they were vaccinated as all of us were. The official number of deaths is 20, nevertheless, the true number of victims are more than 200. I understand that we must avoid to panic, but telling the truth it might be better now to prevent and avoid more deaths.
Yeny Gregorio Dávila, Mexico City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 06:59 PM
It also says the official number of deaths are 20, so it's either incorrect (doubtful) or slightly dated. If we assume it's correct and scale the casualty rate up, that would be over 700 dead. It's probably lower than that, but if there is one thing we know, it's that the government and media lie.

Look at how the Mexican government is reacting. Closing schools, telling people to stay home, handing out masks, shutting down major sporting events to fans and televising them instead, etc. - Would they really do that for 20 casualties? 68? (starting to become worry some), 200 (uh! - Houston we have a problem...), 700+? (EAK!)...

How many would it take for you to shut down a country if you were making the call?

Just saying that I think they are majorly low balling the body count. And remember that's the CONFIRMED body count (68 now) - that probably means they have taken tissue samples and done lab tests to prove 100% that person X died from this virus. Think that's a priority for them? Remember the 90% of weapons coming from the USA lie... uh, hu... Think about it...

Did you catch the line from that other doc saying they were completely out of supplies? What does that say?

-t

nate895
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
This is one question I have with libertarianism. Is it acceptable for authorities to quarantine an individual with an infectious disease such as this to prevent the loss of the right to life of masses, or does the right to liberty of the individual trump?

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Anyone else find it odd that we have no restrictions on flights out of Mexico at the moment? State issued a warming to those traveling to Mexico but they really should have stopped flights until there is a quarantine on the Pig Flu.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh, the Swine FLu killed 500,000+ Americans in 1918 and another 500,000+ in Europe. Any risk takers amongst us?

nate895
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Oh, the Swine FLu killed 500,000+ Americans in 1918 and another 500,000+ in Europe. Any risk takers amongst us?

My mom is on immuno-suppressants. I can't afford to take risks like that, and if a pandemic flu breaks out, my mom will quarantine herself in the bedroom most likely.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:21 PM
My mom is on immuno-suppressants. I can't afford to take risks like that, and if a pandemic flu breaks out, my mom will quarantine herself in the bedroom most likely.

Sounds like a politician will be calling for people to purchase duct tape and plastic sheeting again.:rolleyes:

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a politician will be calling for people to purchase duct tape and plastic sheeting again.:rolleyes:

Umm, actually...

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=190164

second post. 3rd ref covers creating positive pressure rooms, first 2 are on masks

-t

literatim
04-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone else find it odd that we have no restrictions on flights out of Mexico at the moment? State issued a warming to those traveling to Mexico but they really should have stopped flights until there is a quarantine on the Pig Flu.

This would be logical. The government isn't logical.

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 07:41 PM
OR it could be a staged "pandemic" test.

This would be logical. The government isn't logical.

akihabro
04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
The first night I heard about this when it wasn't widespread news I knew it would fast turn into a scare the public like they did with the avian flu. I'm more afraid of going down to Mexico and getting shot then catching this flu.

UtahApocalypse
04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Weird thing.

Doesn't seem to be killing people in the US, yet the gov't is ramping up like it's The Stand.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aBfUaG5IHbVU&refer=home
================================================== =====
GlaxoSmithKline Plc’s flu treatment Relenza and Roche Holding AG’s Tamiflu appear effective against the strains of the virus the CDC has tested, the companies said. Glaxo has “ample supplies” of Relenza, Sarah Alspach, spokeswoman for the London-based drugmaker, said yesterday in a telephone interview. Roche, based in Basel, Switzerland, has a stockpile of 5 million Tamiflu doses ready to deploy if WHO asks, said Terry Hurley, a company spokesman.

The U.S. isn’t restricting travel to Mexico, Besser said. Cordova, Mexico’s health minister, said there’s no need to shut workplaces, and the pace of infections and deaths has slowed in the past day. The first case of the swine flu was seen in Mexico on April 13.

Mexico is 4-7 Days ahead of the US on this outbreak. Also remember that the numbers reported are lab confirmed. There are reports of 200+ dead in Mexico now. At a rate of roughly 6% mortality I would not really be surprised having none fatal out of the US *confirmed* cases. Anyone that died of flu/resp issues this week likely now will have lab work done that may show we already have fatalities.

Dark_Horse_Rider
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM

Who knew that Pig's Flu ?

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Maybe because Mexico doesn't have much Tamiflu on hand?

Just guessing this will turn out to be started among poor areas of Mex City that don't have access to anti-virals.

I'm on the edge of calling Complete and TOTAL Bullsh*t.

Mexico is 4-7 Days ahead of the US on this outbreak. Also remember that the numbers reported are lab confirmed. There are reports of 200+ dead in Mexico now. At a rate of roughly 6% mortality I would not really be surprised having none fatal out of the US *confirmed* cases. Anyone that died of flu/resp issues this week likely now will have lab work done that may show we already have fatalities.

tangent4ronpaul
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM

LOL! - good one!

-t

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Couple living in Mexico calling into Jones says that they didn't see any sick people and it's safe in Mexico.

Once again this is a staged crisis for public consumption.

chris198
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
Couple living in Mexico calling into Jones says that they didn't see any sick people and it's safe in Mexico.

Once again this is a staged crisis for public consumption.

That one single caller was in the tourist ultra rich area, while he had callers in the real areas of Mexico saying theres people vomiting, passing out in hospitals and everything.

Vessol
04-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Well it originated in Mexico, it takes time to travel. The epicenter of an epidemic usually has the most deaths at first.

I don't know if I'd strap on the tin foil just yet. Remember that flu pandemics happen a few times each century, it's been awhile since the last.

ChooseLiberty
04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
OK. You guys convinced me.

I'm going to run out and get vaccinated for everything possible tomorrow.

Then I'm moving to a small town on top of a mountain above the Arctic Circle.

It's a KILLER FLU PANDEMIC!!!!

EVERYONE WILL DIE!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

:D

LATruth
04-25-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm not vaccinating shit. You might have more of a chance dying from the vaccine than the real thing...

Vessol
04-25-2009, 11:17 PM
OK. You guys convinced me.

I'm going to run out and get vaccinated for everything possible tomorrow.

Then I'm moving to a small town on top of a mountain above the Arctic Circle.

It's a KILLER FLU PANDEMIC!!!!

EVERYONE WILL DIE!!!! RUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

Go to Madagascar.

tangent4ronpaul
04-26-2009, 12:37 AM
Go to Madagascar.

Travel Warning
United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Washington, DC 20520

This information is current as of today, Sun Apr 26 2009 03:05:04 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time).
MADAGASCAR

March 17, 2009

The State Department warns U. S. citizens of the risks of traveling to Madagascar, and recommends against travel to Madagascar because of escalating civil unrest. This replaces the Madagascar Travel Warning of March 16, 2009, to inform Americans that the Department of State has ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel and all family members.

Since January 2009, Madagascar has been experiencing escalating political demonstrations including violent clashes. While the immediate causes of the political crisis in Madagascar are between government forces and supporters of the former mayor of Antananarivo, there have been regular demonstrations and clashes with security forces in most provincial capitals and other population centers around the country. Residences and businesses have been looted and burned. While American citizens have not been targeted to date, the Department of State has ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel and family members at the U.S. Embassy in Antananarivo due to the ongoing unrest and security concerns. The Peace Corps Director has approved an evacuation and temporary suspension of the Peace Corps program in Madagascar. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to Madagascar at this time.

[...]

Good choice... :rolleyes:

by the way, I didn't know there were any mountains above the arctic circle - but I don't think you would find the weather to your liking...

-t

Anti Federalist
04-26-2009, 12:52 AM

The 1918 flu was the "Spanish flu" although it has been confirmed that started in pigs, coded H1N1 and it killed 20 million plus worldwide. The high end estimate is 40 million.

Live virus samples have been recreated from samples taken from victims buried in Alaskan permafrost and are currently stored at CDC.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1005_051005_bird_flu.html

Just like this current version, it was a recombinant virus of H1N1 and H5N1 bird/swine flu.

In further reading it seems that is one of the keys to human to human transmission.

Which makes Baxter Pharma's shipping of "accidently" mixed H3N2 seasonal flu viruses and unlabelled H5N1 to Europe even more suspect.

LATruth
04-26-2009, 01:39 AM
The 1918 flu was the "Spanish flu" coded H1N1 and it killed 20 million plus worldwide. The high end estimate is 40 million.

Live virus samples have been recreated from samples taken from victims buried in Alaskan permafrost and are currently stored at CDC.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1005_051005_bird_flu.html

Just like this current version, it was a recombinant virus of H1N1 and H5N1 bird/swine flu.

Translation, we very well may be fucked.

A. Havnes
04-26-2009, 03:25 AM
I might be with ChooseLiberty on this one. It's a real flu, no doubt, but it's being used for fear mongering.

LATruth
04-26-2009, 03:38 AM
I might be with ChooseLiberty on this one. It's a real flu, no doubt, but it's being used for fear mongering.

But from what I read, it's actually being downplayed. The cases in Mexico are far greater in number than MSM is reporting. Source = BBC, and callers from Mexico City and other areas from S. America during a special 2 hour live Alex Jones broadcast aired tonight.

Hows that fear mongering?

Objectivist
04-26-2009, 03:42 AM

They do on the Dark Side Of The Moon.

You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.

Objectivist
04-26-2009, 03:43 AM
Maybe because Mexico doesn't have much Tamiflu on hand?

Just guessing this will turn out to be started among poor areas of Mex City that don't have access to anti-virals.

I'm on the edge of calling Complete and TOTAL Bullsh*t.

It must be because of the ramping up of Meth production to meet the demands of the USA.

silverhawks
04-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm not vaccinating shit. You might have more of a chance dying from the vaccine than the real thing...

Let's really strap on the tinfoil, shall we?

Developer targets injectable RFID ink at meat market (http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Supply-Chain/Developer-targets-injectable-RFID-ink-at-meat-market)

Remember: never waste a good crisis.

Also great for tracking illegal immigrants "for the sake of national security".

silverhawks
04-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah, like SARS the reports are being skewed to make it look like a lethal plague.

LATruth
04-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Developer targets injectable RFID ink at meat market (http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/Supply-Chain/Developer-targets-injectable-RFID-ink-at-meat-market)

Fuck, now I have to stop eating meat. Thanks Uncle Sam for the boot on my neck. I love it. :mad:

nate895
04-26-2009, 12:01 PM

Do we have any liberty ranchers willing to supply meat to us?

silverhawks
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Just pointing out that we have injectable, invisible RFID "tattoos" (http://www.nonaiswa.org/?p=498) available at a time when a lot of people are going to be rushing to line up for vaccines.

A startup company developing chipless RFID ink has tested its product on cattle and laboratory rats.

Somark Innovations announced this week that it successfully tested biocompatible RFID ink, which can be read through animal hairs. The passive RFID technology could be used to identify and track cows to reduce financial losses from Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease) scares. Somark, which formed in 2005, is located at the Center for Emerging Technologies in St. Louis. The company is raising Series A equity financing and plans to license the technology to secondary markets, which could include laboratory animals, dogs, cats, prime cuts of meat, and military personnel.

Chief scientist Ramos Mays said the tests provide a true proof-of-principle and mitigate most of the technological risks in terms of the product’s performance. “This proves the ability to create a synthetic biometric or fake fingerprint with biocompatible, chipless RFID ink and read it through hair,” he said.

Co-founder Mark Pydynowski said during an interview Wednesday that the ink doesn’t contain any metals and can be either invisible or colored. He declined to say what is in the ink, but said he’s certain that it is 100% biocompatible and chemically inert. He also said it is safe for people and animals.

The process developed by Somark involves a geometric array of micro-needles and a reusable applicator with a one-time-use ink capsule. Pydynowski said it takes five to 10 seconds to “stamp or tattoo” an animal, and there is no need to remove the fur. The ink remains in the dermal layer, and a reader can detect it from 4 feet away.

“Conceptually, you can think of it in the same way that visible light is reflected by mirrors,” he said, adding that the actual process is slightly different and proprietary.

The amount of information contained in the ink depends on the surface area available, he said. The U.S. Department of Agriculture calls for a 15-digit number to track cattle. The first three digits are “840″ for the U.S. country code. The remaining digits are unique identifiers. The numbers would link to a database containing more information.

“It can say where it has been, who it has talked to, who it has eaten with, and who else it has been in contact with,” Pydynowski said.

Ranchers and others in the agricultural industry can choose a covert stamping system, which would make it impossible for cattle thieves to tell which animals have been marked and easy for those checking for stolen cattle to determine a cow’s source. Pydynowski said the technology is an improvement over ear tags, which can be detached from cows and other products.

The technology could verify that cuts of meat originated in a hormone-free environment, Pydynowski said, adding that consumers would destroy the system by breaking down the ink when chewing the meat. In other words, Big Brother wouldn’t know whether someone ate a Big Mac or a filet mignon, according to Pydynowski’s explanation. However, the government and agricultural producers and retailers could track e-coli outbreaks in spinach, he said.

The ink also could be used to track and rescue soldiers, Pydynowski said.

“It could help identify friends or foes, prevent friendly fire, and help save soldiers’ lives,” he said. “It’s a very scary proposition when you’re dealing with humans, but with military personnel, we’re talking about saving soldiers’ lives and it may be something worthwhile.”

Seems to me I vaguely recall a recent war where the government put a tattoo on the arms of people.

I think I'd be incredibly naive in expecting there not to be people in government reading this and rubbing their hands together in glee.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, now we know what the FEMA camps are for at any rate. So, pack your shit and make your reservation today!:mad:

silverhawks
04-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Well, now we know what the FEMA camps are for at any rate. So, pack your shit and make your reservation today!:mad:

All the more reason to have entrepreneurs pushing holistic medicine that works. :)

Bit more tinfoil though - it also strikes me that Katrina was the perfect opportunity for the Government to test run an evacuation from a major American city, or blockading it. Not suggesting that the disaster was engineered for this purpose, but they certainly used it like this.

LATruth
04-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Where is Kokesh? IS IT TIME????!!!???

ChooseLiberty
04-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I hope you people are posting from your bunker in the Yukon.

If you're still at home, you're gonna give up the ghost.

signed,

CL - posting from a secret bunker off the grid.

youngbuck
04-26-2009, 01:25 PM
All the more reason to have entrepreneurs pushing holistic medicine that works. :)

Absolutely!