PDA

View Full Version : If public schools must exist then Liberty must be a MANDATORY SUBJECT!

clb09
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Who is with me on this?

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I'd be happy if they taught English, Math, Science, History, etc.....

Kludge
04-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Hypocrite...

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Hypocrite...

hahhahaha Take note that the OP makes the distinction "If they must exist".

torchbearer
04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
You'd need teachers who understand it first.

Kludge
04-25-2009, 05:11 PM
hahhahaha Take note that the OP makes the distinction "If they must exist".

Even a private school (or "home school") which presents only libertarianism or conservatism (or true liberalism!) is nothing more than the same "brainwashing camp" many here allege socialized education is.

It's "ends justify the means" thinking, and very dangerous.

UnReconstructed
04-25-2009, 07:05 PM
lmao @ the thread title... "Liberty... must be mandatory"

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Even a private school (or "home school") which presents only libertarianism or conservatism (or true liberalism!) is nothing more than the same "brainwashing camp" many here allege socialized education is.

It's "ends justify the means" thinking, and very dangerous.

2+2=4 in my camp.

Kludge
04-25-2009, 07:14 PM
2+2=4 in my camp.

That doesn't mean you don't also teach subtraction so that the child knows all methods of arriving at 4.

SimpleName
04-26-2009, 12:24 PM
The thread title seems to be completely contradictory, but I understand his point. I don't think it will do anything. And who will determine liberty? George Bush surely would tell you liberty means being safe and protected by your government so you can live your life peacefully. And guess who makes the decisions for public schools? GOVERNMENT! So we are back to the same problem. They will twist everything the way that favors them no matter what. People themselves have to keep the government in check, not regulations or laws. Special courses such as Peace Studies, African American Studies, and all the other PC courses are troubling enough and dilute the meaning the subject. This will be no different

As one of the other posters mentioned, it'd be nice if they would just teach the subjects they already are supposed to teach: English, Math, Science, Social Studies.

Andrew-Austin
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Public schools are meant to to create "good citizens" going by the government's definition, not going by our own standards. We're potential terrorists remember?

Expecting the government to teach people about the philosophy of liberty is a pipe dream, even if it were possible they would do a half ass job of it. It would be better to press for the radical decentralization of public education, and on a day to day basis promote good sources of libertarian information when possible.

Skeyrz
05-06-2009, 12:15 AM
More meddling with the government school agendas isn't really helpful. Radical decentralization would be much more useful. Elimination of government schools entirely would be nice. The government is always going to manipulate the educational agenda to favor itself, inasmuch as it can get away with it. "Liberty" is an extremely manipulable subject - just look at our government! It supports "liberty" all the time. It even supports "liberty" in Iraq.

sailor
05-06-2009, 04:25 AM
Liberty is the three o`clock bell.

Objectivist
05-06-2009, 04:31 AM
I'd make personal responsibility and finance mandatory.... liberty will follow.

muzzled dogg
05-06-2009, 05:12 AM
not with you on this

they are contradictory

apropos
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Need a definition of liberty to answer this question.

Kraig
05-06-2009, 10:13 AM
LMAO looks like the OP is the one who needs a lesson on liberty.