PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma: Gov. Brad Henry Vetoes 10th Amendment resolution!

FrankRep
04-25-2009, 12:21 PM
OK-SAFE Action Alert - Governor Brad Henry Vetoes HJR 1003, 10th Amendment Bill!

Oklahomans for Sovereignty and Free Enterprise
http://www.ok-safe.com/

Oklahoma's HJR 1003, claiming Sovereignty under the 10th Amendment, was vetoed late Friday night, April 24, 2009, by Governor Brad Henry.

HJR 1003 (http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2009-10HB/HJR1003_int.rtf) reiterates the 10 Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and claims state's rights. The 10th Amendment reads: "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Please call/fax/email Governor Brad Henry and ask him why he doesn't support the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, the very document he took an oath to support when he was elected to office!

Governor Henry contact information:

Telephone: (405) 521-2342
Fax: (405) 521-3353

Send a Message to Governor Henry here: http://gov.ok.gov/message.php

It takes a 2/3 Majority in both Chambers to override a veto - it is believed the House has enough support for the 10th Amendment state's rights issue, but is lacking full support in the Senate.

Please call the Oklahoma Senators and ask them for a YES vote to override the vetoes.

Senate Switchboard: 1-405-524-0126
Toll Free: 1-800-522-8502

Cowlesy
04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Wow, talk about signing your "I-never-want-to-get-reelected" card.

sratiug
04-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Wow, talk about signing your "I-never-want-to-get-reelected" card.

He should be impeached.

Romantarchist
04-25-2009, 02:06 PM
More than impeached. He should be tarred & feathered. And then imprisoned! Thank God that Randy Brogdon is running for Governor of Oklahoma in 2010.

Kotin
04-25-2009, 03:10 PM
More than impeached. He should be tarred & feathered. And then imprisoned! Thank God that Randy Brogdon is running for Governor of Oklahoma in 2010.

completely agree..

wtf

TastyWheat
04-26-2009, 09:57 AM
What a dickface.

muzzled dogg
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
fuckin wow

Kludge
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
I don't understand this move by the governor at all.

Bern
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
He explains it thusly:
Billed as an expression of support for the 10th Amendment, House Joint Resolution 1003 actually went much further, making a number of allegations without offering explanation or evidence.

“Without question, the state of Oklahoma and its leaders support the U.S. Constitution and the rights it guarantees the states and their citizens, and there is no need to spend valuable legislative time on a resolution expressing support for any particular amendment or constitutional right,” said Gov. Henry in his veto message.

“Furthermore, HJR 1003 also alleges, without offering any evidence or explanation, that past and current U.S. leaders may have violated the Constitution and committed crimes against the states and the country. HJR 1003 also implies that the state should reject federal tax dollars paid to Washington, DC, by Oklahoma citizens, an act that would prevent our tax dollars from being used in Oklahoma to address critical needs in transportation, education, health care, law enforcement, veterans programs and many other vital services beneficial to our state.

“In short, HJR 1003 could be detrimental to Oklahoma and does not serve the state or its citizens in any positive manner.”

http://www.governor.state.ok.us/display_article.php?article_id=1236&article_type=1

I'm guessing he objected to the following language in the bill:

WHEREAS, many federal laws are directly in violation of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States; and
WHEREAS, a number of proposals from previous administrations and some now pending from the present administration and from Congress may further violate the Constitution of the United States.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/2009-10HB/HJR1003_int.rtf

But it looks like the real reason he didn't sign it is because he wants to suckle federal government's teat:

Gov. Brad Henry dashed lingering hopes Friday of Oklahomans who want the state to refuse federal economic stimulus money.

He vetoed a legislative resolution that he said suggested, among other things, that Oklahoma should return federal tax dollars to Washington.

House Joint Resolution 1003 "would prevent our tax dollars from being used in Oklahoma to address critical needs in transportation, education, health care, law enforcement, veterans programs and many other vital services beneficial to our state,” his veto message stated

Henry said HJR 1003 also implied that past and present U.S. leaders had violated the U.S Constitution and committed crimes against the states.

http://newsok.com/with-veto-oklahoma-gov.-brad-henry-says-he-wont-spurn-funds/article/3364376

TastyWheat
04-26-2009, 06:51 PM
So somehow vetoing a bill takes less valuable time than signing it?

silverhawks
04-27-2009, 06:22 AM
Looks like Henry is bought and paid for, and doesn't want the Feds knocking at his door for daring to suggest that they may have done wrong and should be arrested.

acptulsa
04-27-2009, 07:21 AM
“Without question, the state of Oklahoma and its leaders support the U.S. Constitution and the rights it guarantees the states and their citizens, and there is no need to spend valuable legislative time on a resolution expressing support for any particular amendment or constitutional right,” said Gov. Henry in his veto message.

We're going to have a lot of fun with this quote during Randy Brogdon's campaign. Assuming we get past Mary Fallin in the primary (and if we don't it won't be for a lack of shoe leather!!).

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-27-2009, 07:57 AM
But he did establish the Flaming Lips' "Do you realize" as the Oklahoma state rock song by executive order, so it's all right.:rolleyes:

Kludge
04-27-2009, 08:07 AM
But he did establish the Flaming Lips' "Do you realize" as the Oklahoma state rock song by executive order, so it's all right.:rolleyes:

Really?

This guy must have some interesting rationale, then.

Personally, I preferred Reign of Kindo's version.

Isaac Bickerstaff
04-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Really?

This guy must have some interesting rationale, then.

Personally, I preferred Reign of Kindo's version.

Flaming Lips are OK natives. I wonder what they think about the tenth amendment issue? Get them on board and it might blow up in Henry's face.

Kludge
04-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Flaming Lips are OK natives. I wonder what they think about the tenth amendment issue?

I've had a recent love affair with Flaming Lips, and have been listening to them every night for the past couple weeks as I go to bed. It seems to give me interesting dreams -- except Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots pt. 2 and just about anything from Zaireeka (I merged all 4 CDs myself!) keeps me from sleeping.

Romantarchist
05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Ooh, now here's some good news. Just when we thought this thing was dead. :cool:

House bypasses governor’s veto to claim Oklahoma’s sovereignty
Comments Comment on this article35

BY MICHAEL MCNUTT
Published: May 5, 2009

Although Gov. Brad Henry vetoed similar legislation 10 days earlier, House members Monday again approved a resolution claiming Oklahoma’s sovereignty.
Featured Gallery

Unlike House Joint Resolution 1003, House Concurrent Resolution 1028 does not need the governor’s approval.

The House passed the measure 73-22. It now goes to the Senate.

"We’re going to get it done one way or the other,” said the resolutions’ author, Rep. Charles Key, R-Oklahoma City.

"I think our governor is out of step.”

House Democrats objected, saying the issue already had been taken up and had been vetoed, but House Speaker Pro Tempore Kris Steele, R-Shawnee, ruled the veto is not final action.

Key said he expects HCR 1028 will pass in the Senate. HJR 1003 earlier passed the House 83-18 and won approval in the Senate 29-18.

Henry vetoed HJR 1003 because he said it suggested, among other things, that Oklahoma should return federal tax dollars.

Key said HCR 1028, which, if passed, would be sent to Democratic President Barack Obama and the Democratic-controlled Congress, would not jeopardize federal funds but would tell Congress to "get back into their proper constitutional role.” The resolution states the federal government should "cease and desist” mandates that are beyond the scope of its powers.

Key said many federal laws violate the 10th Amendment, which says powers not delegated to the U.S. government "are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.” The Constitution lists about 20 duties required of the U.S. government, he said.

Congress should not be providing bailouts to financial institutions and automakers, he said.

"We give all this money to all these different entities, including automakers, and now they’re talking about, ‘Well maybe it’s better to let them go bankrupt,’” Key said. "Well, maybe we should have let them go bankrupt before we gave them the money..”

http://www.newsok.com/house-bypasses-governors-veto-to-claim-oklahomas-sovereignty/article/3366762

acptulsa
06-11-2009, 05:48 AM
Well, the legislature stuffed it in Henry's face, and now it's our turn. If you're an Oklahoman, please sign:

http://www.oktenth.com/petition/

Thanks!

TinCanToNA
07-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Well, the legislature stuffed it in Henry's face, and now it's our turn. If you're an Oklahoman, please sign:

http://www.oktenth.com/petition/

Thanks!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have signed it.

The Governor does make a reasonable case, though. The Declaration of Independence made several very specific claims about the grievances of the King and his failure to address them. From what I've read, this resolution is short and succinct, and much must be read into it.

pahs1994
07-15-2009, 01:57 AM
so it has been a few months. Did the senate vote on this yet?

acptulsa
07-15-2009, 06:51 AM
so it has been a few months. Did the senate vote on this yet?

Oh, yes. Both houses passed it twice. No sign that they're going to try to override the veto, though.

I haven't heard how the petition drive is going.

Matt Collins
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
In TN our governor even signed it.

acptulsa
07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
In TN our governor even signed it.

Too bad. That'll just make it harder to get rid of him.

Actually, I'm not familiar with your governor. Just won't miss Henry when he's gone.

acabtaxi
08-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Pitiful

acabtaxi
08-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Check out what happens to you in my area when you try to ask too many questions about the wrong things. Go to youtube under acabtaxi or topix under i heard osbi and fbi are investigating police [Elk City Oklahoma area zip 73644]. This story in unreal and I think it could damage some officials that have went way too far to destroy my business. Changed phone services seventeen times to try to shake them but the calls still kept getting blocked [not monitored].