PDA

View Full Version : Tax Evaders, Evil?

Objectivist
04-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Been thinking about this since the Obama cabinet appointments. While I feel that people running the IRS should be above board and follow the letter of the law I find it odd that most of us demonize people that refuse to pay taxes. Meaning that most complain about taxation, and not paying is an act of civil disobedience. Follow me? SO if your neighbor refuses to pay and is dragged into court how would you as a juror vote in their guilt or innocence. It seems most people complain and would love to not pay, or not pay as much but they have zero intestinal fortitude when it gets down to it, why? Why are most Americans cowards? Would you volunteer to give the mugger a ride to the ATM if all he asked for was your wallet?

Wesley Snipes comes to mind, and while he has made millions I didn't hate him for not paying. Then I don't feel ill will towards Peter Shiffs father for is fight against the government.

ANother point, if one government agency screws you do you fall for the argument that the IRS uses? "Well they are another department". Not in my eyes, they all get a paycheck from the US Treasury and always have.

So why do most Americans get angry when someone refuses to pay taxes? Are they jealous that they don't have the balls to follow suit? This country was founded by tax evaders was it not?

kathy88
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Serious food for thought. I would love to not pay taxes and have considered it at great length. And I will admit, when Obama's picks kept turning out to be tax evaders, I copped a "throw the bums out, holier than thou" attitude. What a hypocrite I was.

Objectivist
04-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Serious food for thought. I would love to not pay taxes and have considered it at great length. And I will admit, when Obama's picks kept turning out to be tax evaders, I copped a "throw the bums out, holier than thou" attitude. What a hypocrite I was.

I forgot to add Harry Ried's thoughts on paying taxes...
YouTube - Paying income tax in America is Voluntary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7mRSI8yWwg)

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm left thinking that Americans are chicken sh*t.

RCA
04-25-2009, 02:18 AM
The difference is they are receiving a free pass not to pay taxes while we are not.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 02:38 AM
The difference is they are receiving a free pass not to pay taxes while we are not.

My point is not what they(gov) do or have done, it is why people complain about taxes and make great reasons to be against taxes only to keep paying them.

"If we are good only because we fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are truly a sorry lot indeed."

How much will it take for people to break? More are failing or refusing to pay daily. 4 million people are delinquent on their taxes today.

eOs
04-25-2009, 02:41 AM
No one wants to be the first mainstream to speak out against it..I think if a well publicized figure were to condone it, the group would follow suit.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 02:43 AM
No one wants to be the first

Some guys beat me to it about 230 years ago.

Then what will the magic number be? 60% ? 80% of our income?

eOs
04-25-2009, 03:01 AM
Then what will

i think you misinterpreted me

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 03:29 AM
i think you misinterpreted me

Well if I did the question still stands as to how much the American People are willing to get taken for, money wise?

Ozwest
04-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Well if I did the question still stands as to how much the American People are willing to get taken for, money wise?

It's the way Americans are taxed. Federally. Not as the Constitution intended.

Ozwest
04-25-2009, 03:42 AM
The argument is presented by America's fore-fathers in a much better way than I could present it.

Read the Constitution and Bill of Rights. All will be explained...

ChaosControl
04-25-2009, 06:22 AM
The way I see it is, if you are against taxes and refuse to pay based on principle, you are a hero. (Random guy pissed off at the gubmint who just wants to keep his money and be left alone).

If you believe in big government and support people who support excessive spending or taxation and you don't pay, you're a hypocritical piece of crap (Obama Cabinet)

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-25-2009, 08:22 AM
The way I see it is, if you are against taxes and refuse to pay based on principle, you are a hero. (Random guy pissed off at the gubmint who just wants to keep his money and be left alone).

If you believe in big government and support people who support excessive spending or taxation and you don't pay, you're a hypocritical piece of crap (Obama Cabinet)

Yea, thats part of my feeling as well. Its also about the fact that Geithner and the other lying sacks of shit have Sovereign Immunity whereas normal Americans don't.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM

Nice summation!

JdotRdot
04-25-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm left thinking that Americans are chicken sh*t.
they are...think no longer

nate895
04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
I'd love to resist taxes, luckily I have never had to file because I am just 16. I still have a short while to decide if I will not pay my taxes. I would be inclined to do it if 1,000,000 others chose to resist the income tax. That can't arrest all of us, there aren't enough jail cells.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I'd love to resist taxes, luckily I have never had to file because I am just 16. I still have a short while to decide if I will not pay my taxes. I would be inclined to do it if 1,000,000 others chose to resist the income tax. That can't arrest all of us, there aren't enough jail cells.

I mentioned before that there are 4 million delinquent taxpayers in the United States.

nate895
04-25-2009, 07:07 PM
I mentioned before that there are 4 million delinquent taxpayers in the United States.

Most will go along with the "payment plans" and are not doing it out of principle, but instead are the unlucky ones who checked the wrong box on the return.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Most will go along with the "payment plans" and are not doing it out of principle, but instead are the unlucky ones who checked the wrong box on the return.

Well 4% is a little more than 1% of the population. COuld you imagine 10%?

nate895
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Well 4% is a little more than 1% of the population. COuld you imagine 10%?

That isn't 4%, it is ~1+1/3%, 1,000,000 is ~1/3%. I am talking about simply a pure resistance, not delinquent payers. People who will not file taxes because they find it immoral.

Objectivist
04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
That isn't 4%, it is ~1+1/3%, 1,000,000 is ~1/3%. I am talking about simply a pure resistance, not delinquent payers. People who will not file taxes because they find it immoral.

I meant 4 million being a little more than 1% of the population, thanks for the clarification.

satchelmcqueen
04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Been thinking about this since the Obama cabinet appointments. While I feel that people running the IRS should be above board and follow the letter of the law I find it odd that most of us demonize people that refuse to pay taxes. Meaning that most complain about taxation, and not paying is an act of civil disobedience. Follow me? SO if your neighbor refuses to pay and is dragged into court how would you as a juror vote in their guilt or innocence. It seems most people complain and would love to not pay, or not pay as much but they have zero intestinal fortitude when it gets down to it, why? Why are most Americans cowards? Would you volunteer to give the mugger a ride to the ATM if all he asked for was your wallet?

Wesley Snipes comes to mind, and while he has made millions I didn't hate him for not paying. Then I don't feel ill will towards Peter Shiffs father for is fight against the government.

ANother point, if one government agency screws you do you fall for the argument that the IRS uses? "Well they are another department". Not in my eyes, they all get a paycheck from the US Treasury and always have.

So why do most Americans get angry when someone refuses to pay taxes? Are they jealous that they don't have the balls to follow suit? This country was founded by tax evaders was it not?

i 100% see and agree with you.

if on a jury to convict a non tax payer, reguardless of the reasons or circumstances in the case, i would vote NOT GUILTY period!

the ones who vote guilty are either ignorant of what taxes really are or they are jelous they cant get away with it themselves. but yeah, when it comes down to it, most people and i mean 99% of people have no guts to stand for whats right or for what they really believe in. ive been in countless situations in jobs, church, family matters to where at the end of it all, i was either the only one who stood up against whatever or was 1 of only 2 who did. :mad: