PDA

View Full Version : Question about the legality of lobbying

RCA
04-24-2009, 11:32 AM
I've heard it said before that Congressmen either can't or won't listen to phone calls from people outside of their district. So why do they "listen" to corporate lobbyists in D.C.?

acptulsa
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Campaign contributions. Lobster bisque.

heavenlyboy34
04-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I've heard it said before that Congressmen either can't or won't listen to phone calls from people outside of their district. So why do they "listen" to corporate lobbyists in D.C.?

Most congress-critters are corrupt, that's why. It's my understanding that lobbyists don't even waste their time on RP. :cool:;):D

RCA
04-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Campaign contributions. Lobster bisque.

So it's ok for me to call Jeff Flake's office and demand answers to his lack of H.R. 1207 support if I send him 50 cents and a snickers?

:rolleyes:

acptulsa
04-24-2009, 11:43 AM
So it's ok for me to call Jeff Flake's office and demand answers to his lack of H.R. 1207 support if I send him 50 cents and a snickers?

Could help, but I suspect you'll discover that you actually can't afford him.

TastyWheat
04-24-2009, 02:16 PM
If you bought me lunch I'd listen to your pitch too.

TheEngineer
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Lobbying is a First Amendment right.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

BKV
04-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Capitalism sees no borders or skin color.

RCA
04-25-2009, 02:22 AM
Lobbying is a First Amendment right.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So why do some say that we can't contact Congressmen outside our district because they "can only listen to their constituents"?

TheEngineer
04-25-2009, 04:22 PM
So why do some say that we can't contact Congressmen outside our district because they "can only listen to their constituents"?

You can contact them. They can't reply via government-paid postal mail (called "franking privileges") to non-constituents, but they can legally reply via email. Some choose not to, but none will say you're prohibited from contacting them.

For example, when UIGEA (the Internet gaming bill) passed, I wrote to Ron Paul to ask him to help. His office kindly responded affirmatively, even though I wasn't even a constituent. Cool how he can do so yet still refund the government a significant portion of his office budget every year!

TheEngineer
04-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Here's an example:

Thank you for sending me your electronic mail message. I appreciate your
taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Because of the volume of e-mail that is received by my office, we can only
respond to email that includes a California postal address. Please resend
the text of your e-mail message, including your postal address, and I will
respond to you as soon as possible.

Should you need additional information about the Congress, or my offices
in Washington and California, please visit my homepage on the World Wide
Web. The address is http://feinstein.senate.gov.

Thank you again for contacting me, and I hope you will continue to do so
in the future.

Sincerely,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

TheEngineer
04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's a WAY cooler response from two years ago, when we started the fight against UIGEA:

Hello, I am Congressman Ron Paul's legislative director. You are receiving this message because you contacted our office regarding Internet gambling. Dr. Paul intends to work with House Financial Services Chairman Barney Frank to repeal the ban.

Norman Kirk Singleton
Legislative Director
Congressman Ron Paul
203 Cannon
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-2831

"...libertarianism will win eventually because it and only it is compatible with the nature of man and of the world. Only liberty can achieve man's prosperity, fulfillment, and happiness....libertarians now propose to fulfill the American dream and the world dream of liberty and prosperity for all mankind."

"Murray Rothbard

TheEngineer
04-25-2009, 07:50 PM
I met Norm last year in D.C. during a meeting with Dr. Paul, and saw him again at CPAC this year. Good guy -- a real supporter of liberty, as one would imagine.

satchelmcqueen
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
now this is where i disagree. i think lobbying should be illegal in any and all matters or situations. its legal bribery imo.

TheEngineer
04-25-2009, 10:22 PM
now this is where i disagree. i think lobbying should be illegal in any and all matters or situations. its legal bribery imo.

I didn't say it should be legal. I merely replied with why it is. :eek:

VIDEODROME
04-26-2009, 01:29 AM
Does the right to lobby extend to companies or just to people? I mean I think it is a given that all of us here have the right to call up congress.

But should a corporate entity have the same rights and privileges as a person?

TheEngineer
04-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Does the right to lobby extend to companies or just to people? I mean I think it is a given that all of us here have the right to call up congress.

But should a corporate entity have the same rights and privileges as a person?

If the company couldn't lobby, I guess stockholders could organize and lobby as citizens on behalf of their interests in the success of the company. As a company is a collection of stockholders with management elected by stockholders to represent them, I guess it's the same in the end. Besides, they do pay taxes, so it seems they ought to have representation and a right to petition for redress.

Unions, churches, nonprofits, states, and individual citizens all lobby as well.

satchelmcqueen
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM
I didn't say it should be legal. I merely replied with why it is. :eek:

i know, words read wrong on forums sometimes..lol