PDA

View Full Version : CA District Attorney to not prosecute many crimes due to budget cuts

ronpaulhawaii
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/21/BAK9176EGO.DTL&tsp=1

Misdemeanors such as assaults, thefts and burglaries will no longer be prosecuted in Contra Costa County because of budget cuts, the county's top prosecutor said Tuesday.

District Attorney Robert Kochly also said that beginning May 4, his office will no longer prosecute felony drug cases involving smaller amounts of narcotics. That means anyone caught with less than a gram of methamphetamine or cocaine, less than 0.5 grams of heroin and fewer than five pills of ecstasy, OxyContin or Vicodin won't be charged.

People who are suspected of misdemeanor drug crimes, break minor traffic laws, shoplift, trespass or commit misdemeanor vandalism will also be in the clear. Those crimes won't be prosecuted, either.

misterx
04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, I could see making a decision not to prosecute lesser crimes, but to announce it to the public? Crime is about to skyrocket in Contra Costa County.

qh4dotcom
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Let him start by not prosecuting pot smokers.

silverhawks
04-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Ok, I could see making a decision not to prosecute lesser crimes, but to announce it to the public? Crime is about to skyrocket in Contra Costa County.

First thing I thought of: "Ringing the dinner bell for criminals" - which causes a rise in crime, and then a justification of increased government force in that area.

If things need cutting, a sane government would cut EVERYTHING but legal protection of citizen's rights.