PDA

View Full Version : A neat idea I had this morning! :)

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
You all know that I have expertise in visual and music media. It occurred to me today that I could use my skills and knowledge to explain how the mass media manipulates popular opinion as a long term project. :D It will be an illustrated pdf called "The Layman's Guide To Understanding Mass Media Manipulation" or something similar. If you can think of a subject I should cover, please list it here (preferred) or pm me. :cool::D I see a LARGE market for this kind of educational guide! :)

Thanx,
HB34.

Icymudpuppy
04-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey,

What about creating original songs and videos in a popular format to promote the liberty movement.

Who shall be the Francis Scott Key of our movement?

BuddyRey
04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
I love this idea!

If you're up to the challenge, could you go into how the media oversimplifies political issues through buzz words and simplistic terms, leaving no nuance or depth to explore? For example, when they talk about politicians' positions on abortion, they will almost always use terms like "Pro-Life" or "Pro-Choice", despite the fact that there is a lot of middle-ground between the two (for example, one could believe it is best left as a state issue rather than a national one, or may be for it in general as long as it's before a certain trimester, etc.). This is not the only issue to which the media applies this black & white approach, but it's a prime example.

Working Poor
04-23-2009, 09:54 AM
What about how they advertise unsafe non nutritious foods to children

Annihilia
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
I have been thinking of something similar as well. It would serve sort of as a preemptive measure against mainstream takeover and subsequent marginalization of the liberty movement.

heavenlyboy34
04-23-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey,

What about creating original songs and videos in a popular format to promote the liberty movement.

Who shall be the Francis Scott Key of our movement?

I'm working on an opera that will probably serve this purpose well! I'm currently in the research phase. :cool: I will be posting drafts of the libretto when I finish it. :D

Icymudpuppy
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
While I like the occassional opera, the vast majority of America, and particularly the crowd that would be most open to our ideas does not listen to it. Country Western Music would probably be a better format for maximum exposure among liberty minded middle-aged, workers who currently vote republican because they don't know any better.

BuddyRey
04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
While I like the occassional opera, the vast majority of America, and particularly the crowd that would be most open to our ideas does not listen to it. Country Western Music would probably be a better format for maximum exposure among liberty minded middle-aged, workers who currently vote republican because they don't know any better.

As Bill Hicks would say, "boy is my thumb not on the pulse of America."

I'd rather listen to an Opera instead of (modern) country music anyday.

Dark_Horse_Rider
04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Sounds great.

Lots of possibilities there. I would keep track of all the inspirations that present themselves to you.

Deborah K
04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Great Idea! Perhaps you could trace the history of the media conglomerate. Here's a start:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2epsmep.jpg

Deborah K
04-23-2009, 10:21 AM
This video could be of help too. REALLY good info about media manipulation:

Monopoly Men (Federal Reserve Fraud) (1999) (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7065177340464808778&q=federal+reserve)

angelatc
04-23-2009, 10:23 AM
You all know that I have expertise in visual and music media. It occurred to me today that I could use my skills and knowledge to explain how the mass media manipulates popular opinion as a long term project. :D It will be an illustrated pdf called "The Layman's Guide To Understanding Mass Media Manipulation" or something similar. If you can think of a subject I should cover, please list it here (preferred) or pm me. :cool::D I see a LARGE market for this kind of educational guide! :)

Thanx,
HB34.

Media Manipulation For Dummies

The Complete Idiots Guide to Media Manipulation.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 10:28 AM
John Lennon's Just Give Me Some Truth would be good inspiration. And a nice thing to promote in the meantime. You can find it on the Imagine album.

JamesButabi
04-23-2009, 10:40 AM
You could probably dedicate a whole website to daily examples of how the media twists things against the liberty movement.

mediahasyou
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
The BBC made a great video of mass manipulation:

Century of the Self...google it

Roxi
04-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Sweet!!!!!!!

Carole
04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Great idea.

Words! Be sure you cover how the media selects keywords du jour and every commentator and analyst finds a way to highlight the word. Same with phrases.

You know, like "radical" "extreme". You can listen and find new ones highlighted on nearly a daily basis (after those morning memos from the boss). :D

Kludge
04-23-2009, 11:21 PM
lol @ anti-propaganda propaganda.

heavenlyboy34
04-24-2009, 08:58 AM
lol @ anti-propaganda propaganda.

lolz...I prefer to call it "re-education for the mindwashed masses" or something like that. ;):cool::)

Deborah K
04-24-2009, 09:01 AM
lolz...I prefer to call it "re-education for the mindwashed masses" or something like that. ;):cool::)

You won't stand a chance in hell re-educating anyone if you call them "mindwashed". If your goal is to bring more people into the movement, you're going to have to persuade them, not insult them.

Deborah K
04-24-2009, 09:02 AM
The BBC made a great video of mass manipulation:

Century of the Self...google it

I learned soooooo much from this video! It got me on a kick researching Bernays, and propaganda. Really excellent video.

heavenlyboy34
04-24-2009, 09:27 AM
You won't stand a chance in hell re-educating anyone if you call them "mindwashed". If your goal is to bring more people into the movement, you're going to have to persuade them, not insult them.

Don't worry, I only use that terminology on RPFs and in private conversations. The literature I produce will be much more reader-friendly. ;):cool::D

acptulsa
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Would it be more effective to do a list of the techniques, or would it be more effective to parody them? Making people laugh is a good way to teach them, and funny things get spread around more.

One way to do it would be to show a newsroom and have people getting raw news and 'spinning' it in outrageous ways. Another would be to create a newscast covering the American Revolution and loaded with modern 'spin'--though World War II might work even better. A third would be to create a newscast with 'spin' which is smooth over the top.

FindLiberty
04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Regarding the OP, +88!

...and happy +3.579545 MHz to the other good ideas here as well!

Epic
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
"Pirates and Emperors" is a great libertarian sing-song. Actually increasing relevant too.

YouTube - Emperor and pirates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdYZCcATg3Q)