PDA

View Full Version : Napolitano (Yes, Janet! Really!) Says Repeal The Real ID

angelatc
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I am happy to report that I agree with her on at least one thing!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/22/real.ID.debate/

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano this week said she is working with governors to repeal the Real ID Act, which was passed in 2005 and went into effect last year.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 09:23 AM
So she can institute some more invasive type of ID. I'm not convinced, especially after the most recent memo.

Chester Copperpot
04-23-2009, 09:25 AM
The REAL ID law has already been changed and renamed.. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors

Working Poor
04-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't trust that she is concerned about freedom or liberty in any way shape or form. She is probably going to come up with more methods of control...

Bern
04-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Napolitano, former governor of Arizona, said she has met with governors of both parties recently "to look at a way to repeal Real ID." She said she wants to substitute the federal law with "something else that pivots off of the driver's license but accomplishes some of the same goals. And we hope to be able to announce something on that fairly soon."

"Be afraid, be very afraid"

Brian4Liberty
04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Lol! She's for amnesty! That's all it's about. Create a Real ID that includes amnesty and illegal immigrants and she'll be all for it.

sluggo
04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Watch the Republicans attack her for being lax on national security.

She'll introduce the same thing under a new name, and everyone (except us) will be happy.

angelatc
04-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Watch the Republicans attack her for being lax on National Security.

Actually, that's where I saw the article....in a blog post about just that.

silverhawks
04-23-2009, 10:13 AM
RFID drivers licenses, or RFID in your car, "so you don't even need to stop to be identified"...this will be sold as a convienience, something to avoid contact with the face of the system; as something you'd desire, not as something you need to present or something that inconveniences you or forces you into contact with police.

Liberty-minded individuals have been sending out the "papers please" meme for a long time now, the establishment are just re-branding their ideas and repackaging the concept - as usual - to counter that.

Case in point:

YouTube - IBM RFID Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WV3_jYB5HU)

eOs
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
at this point, rfid is so easy to hack and disrupt, I don't see them trying to implement this until they look at the security side of things which could take awhile. Didn't the DHS report something like this in some pdf recently too?

thasre
04-23-2009, 10:58 AM
The REAL ID law has already been changed and renamed.. This is nothing but smoke and mirrors

I was going to say, I read something the other day about how there was more of a change in tactical approach than actual policy coming with regards to national IDs. I can't quite remember the details / where I read it, but basically there's still a push for "papers" and they're just changing how they talk about it.

It might have been on Reason Hit & Run or Cato at Liberty that I read this... hm...

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 10:59 AM
RFID drivers licenses, or RFID in your car, "so you don't even need to stop to be identified"...this will be sold as a convienience, something to avoid contact with the face of the system; as something you'd desire, not as something you need to present or something that inconveniences you or forces you into contact with police.

In Oklahoma we call that sold convenience the Pikepass. We are also all getting brand new license plates. Can't help but wonder what wonderful new features they have that we haven't been told about.

Njon
04-23-2009, 11:00 AM
So she can institute some more invasive type of ID. I'm not convinced, especially after the most recent memo.

True. DHS is plotting IDs with RFID chips in them. See http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/gc_1197575704846.shtm

That page was last updated in October, but I highly doubt they suddenly had a change of heart just because they have a new secretary.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 11:05 AM
That page was last updated in October, but I highly doubt they suddenly had a change of heart just because they have a new secretary.

They didn't. But they are desperate to differentiate themselves from the Dubya administration. So far, they've been all about business as usual, so this isn't surprising.

We'd do well to learn to spot each and every attempt to paint themselves as the change we hoped for, and show wherever possible how nothing has changed but the terminology. Otherwise, the D-registered semi-sleepers will be fooled.

Tabby
04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
at this point, rfid is so easy to hack and disrupt, I don't see them trying to implement this until they look at the security side of things which could take awhile. Didn't the DHS report something like this in some pdf recently too?

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/privacy/privacy_advcom_rpt_rfid_draft.pdf
Scary as can be.

paulitics
04-23-2009, 02:09 PM
They don't win every battle. The NAMU and Real ID have suffered serious set backs due to a vigilant public. The agenda remains the same, but sometimes they step back and have to repackage things diffrently. Look at how they got the FEDERAL RESERVE ACT approved, through many years of persistance and deceptive tactics.

nickcoons
04-23-2009, 02:14 PM
As I recall, our former governor was opposed to RFID only on the grounds that it imposed an unfunded mandate on states. I'm not aware that she has (or had) any liberty- or privacy-minded concerns with it.