PDA

View Full Version : Legalizing Weed More Popular Than Republicans?

Matt Collins
04-22-2009, 11:49 PM
See this:

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/04/22/legalizing-weed-more-popular-than-republicans/

evilfunnystuff
04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
id wager its more popular than democrats as well

asimplegirl
04-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Well, yeah...I think so.

LATruth
04-23-2009, 12:53 AM
I think legalizing marijuana is more popular than any party for sure.

IF they legalize marijuana, will they retroactively expunge criminal records? Or will Citizens continue to be persecuted for a past (ie background checks for jobs etc) for a substance that is now legal?

Working Poor
04-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Why is it that the people want it legalized and it is not being done. I thought the people ran the government?

LATruth
04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Our representatives aren't representing. :mad:

Bman
04-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Why is it that the people want it legalized and it is not being done. I thought the people ran the government?

Because pot smokers won't get off their asses, and statists will.

DamianTV
04-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Procrastinators unite! Tomorrow!

Icymudpuppy
04-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I could care less about the pot. I want to raise my own hemp for fuel oil, and fiber.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Because pot smokers won't get off their asses, and statists will.

Hundreds of thousands have protested for legalization. NORML and other groups have been fighting the fight for 30 years. The reasons why marijuana is not legalized has nothing to do with pot smokers not getting off their asses.

zach
04-23-2009, 07:26 AM
the reasons why marijuana is not legalized has nothing to do with pot smokers not getting off their asses.

+1000

Bruno
04-23-2009, 07:28 AM
+1000 pounds

fixed ;)

AuH20
04-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I never could understand the fascination with Marijuana. I think many of these people probably love the plant more than their own families. Priorities! ;):D

Bruno
04-23-2009, 07:34 AM
I never could understand the fascination with Marijuana. I think many of these people probably love the plant more than their own families. Priorities! ;):D

They haven't taken away my ability to choose to enjoy my family - yet. ;)

AuH20
04-23-2009, 07:36 AM
They haven't taken away my ability to choose to enjoy my family - yet. ;)

I think if the feds were smart they would organize a huge marijuana gveaway at these designated FEMA camps. They wouldn't need transports and it would save them so much time and resources. :D

zach
04-23-2009, 07:42 AM

It's just the idea that it sounds kind of dumb to outlaw a plant that has more benefits to culture than anything harmful.

:D

Though, I don't speak for everyone.. I do know a few people who would put this above anyone else. :eek:

AuH20
04-23-2009, 07:45 AM
It's just the idea that it sounds kind of dumb to outlaw a plant that has more benefits to culture than anything harmful.

:D

Though, I don't speak for everyone.. I do know a few people who would put this above anyone else. :eek:

I think it has its medicinal uses. Plus, the pharma companies intentionally suppress herbal solutions to ailments and various diseases. But it just appears to me that some of these folks just want to say "screw the republic", let me stay stoned and ignorant for a decade in a cloud of smoke. People can do whatever they want, but when you end up in a FEMA camp, don't complain to me.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 07:45 AM
I think if the feds were smart they would organize a huge marijuana gveaway at these designated FEMA camps. They wouldn't need transports and it would save them so much time and resources. :D

ssshhhh!! Don't give them any ideas!

I think it has its medicinal uses. Plus, the pharma companies intentionally suppress herbal solutions to ailments and various diseases. But it just appears to me that some of these folks just want to say "screw the republic", let me stay stoned for a decade in a cloud of smoke. People can do whatever they want, but if you end up in a FEMA camp, don't complain to me.

end up in a FEMA camp for smoking pot? :rolleyes: If that were to happen, I would hope you would be outraged, and not have a "don't complain to me" attitude. I also fail to see the link between smoking an herb and a "screw the republic" position.

And no, people can't do whatever they want, and that is the problem.

Wait until it is something that you feel you should be able to use, eat, smoke, drive, purchase, etc. is made illegal. Your thoughts might be different.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 07:56 AM
end up in a FEMA camp for smoking pot? :rolleyes: If that were to happen, I would hope you would be outraged, and not have a "don't complain to me" attitude. I also fail to see the link between smoking an herb and a "screw the republic" position.

And no, people can't do whatever they want, and that is the problem.

Wait until it is something that you feel you should be able to use, eat, smoke, drive, purchase, etc. is made illegal. Your thoughts might be different.

c'mon. You don't know potheads who's entire life gravitates around this plant? I know plenty. Its their beginning and their end. I think they'd seriously contemplating cutting off their appendages if they couldn't smoke for a week. It controls them instead of the other way around. Any obsession whether it be food, tv, a job, sex, & gambling can turn into a horrible problem if you don't have perspective. The people are intentionally distracted with garbage.

zach
04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Psychological addiction has its ways.
Though, moderation and being aware of the reasons for smoking it is quite a normal thing for most people.

Take it as a part of life, not life itself.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
c'mon. You don't know potheads who's entire life gravitates around this plant? I know plenty. Its their beginning and their end. I think they'd seriously contemplating cutting off their appendages if they couldn't smoke for a week. It controls them instead of the other way around. Any obsession whether it be food, tv, a job, sex, & gambling can turn into a horrible problem if you don't have perspective.

Hello, Strawman. Thanks for showing up. :rolleyes:

Did I just hear you say that any obsession such as food, tv, a job, sex, & gambling should be illegal? If not, what was your point? That because some people obsess over marijuana it should be illegal for those who choose to use it responsibly?

Remove the illegality, and allow it to be a medical issue. If someone has a problem, they can seek counseling. Many health care providers already cover it.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Hello, Strawman. Thanks for showing up. :rolleyes:

Did I just hear you say that any obsession such as food, tv, a job, sex, & gambling should be illegal? If not, what was your point? That because some people obsess over marijuana it should be illegal for those who choose to use it responsibly?

Remove the illegality, and allow it to be a medical issue. If someone has a problem, they can seek counseling. Many health care providers already cover it.

Of course not, but I can guarantee that a majority of the people who answered the poll don't act like you. Its a social problem not a pot problem per se.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 08:08 AM
Of course not, but I can guarantee that a majority of the people who answered the poll don't act like you. Its a social problem not a pot problem per se.

Exactly. Is a social problem that should not be treated like a criminal problem. You realize that many people use alcohol irresponsibly (do you drink alcohol ever? do/did you handle it responsibly? People act much more irresponsibly with alcohol than marijuana, and the effects to society are exponentially worse) and yet prohibition was an utter failure that created a mafia killing spree. Hmmm. Kind of like we have today on the U.S./Mexico border today.

I think we agree in the liberty and freedom aspects of this issue more than you may realize.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Exactly. Is a social problem that should not be treated like a criminal problem. You realize that many people use alcohol irresponsibly (do you drink alcohol ever? do/did you handle it responsibly?) and yet prohibition was an utter failure that created a mafia killing spree. Hmmm. Kind of like we have today on the U.S./Mexico border today.

I think we agree in the liberty and freedom aspects of this issue more than you may realize.

Exactly. I'm just responding to these dopey one issue marijauna voters. Its not real high on the scale of priorities given the chaos that's coming.;)

Icymudpuppy
04-23-2009, 08:17 AM
I think it is. Hemp provides more useable oil per acre per year than any other plant. That oil can be burned in diesels, used to lubricate machines, make plastics, deepfrying, cosmetic base, shampoos, etc. Pure hempseed oil contains no THC. The fibers can be used to make rope, fabric, carpeting, etc.

Of course, that would directly compete with the Petroleum, Cotton, and Corn industries, so don't expect their lobbies to let it happen anytime soon.

But if TSHF scenario arrives, having this homegrown industrial plant available will be critical for self sufficiency.

"Make the most you can of the Indian Hemp seed and sow it everywhere." -President George Washington, 1794
"Hemp is of first necessity to the wealth & protection of the country." -Thomas Jefferson

Bruno
04-23-2009, 08:18 AM
Exactly. I'm just responding to these dopey one issue marijauna voters. Its not real high on the scale of priorities given the chaos that's coming.;)

No argument there. But if we fail to fight for the baby steps - and in the grand scheme this would be an enormous baby step (pardon the oxymoron) - then how are we to win the bigger fights? We have to stand up for all rights, not just the biggest ones. When we give up all less important freedoms (in the eyes of some) we lose the bigger battles of fighting for the loss of the more important freedoms (in the eyes of most) like the frog slowly coming to a boil.

Here in Iowa, last year the state disallowed smoking cigarettes in all workplaces, creating one of the most draconian anti-smoking laws in the country. Putting aside the harm and unpleasantness smoking does to non-smokers as an issue, the larger issue is that the freedoms of cigarette smokers were taken away and the irony was lost on them that for decades these same people blasted marijuana smokers as drug-crazed scoundrels. No one cared about the rights of others until it was their right that was being taken away.

People fight for what is more important to them. To "those dopey one issue marijuana smokers" it is their issue. Most people don't fight for cancer reasearch until they or someone else they know gets or dies of cancer. Then they are the biggest contributors to the cause. When it hits home for you, is when you fight the hardest.

edit: and in fighting for their "one issue", they are really fighting for the creater issue of freedom- yours included.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 08:25 AM
There's a scene in the Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall classic Key Largo where gangsters are talking about how much they want prohibition back and what they'll do differently when they get it back. I can't seem to find where anyone has loaded this specific scene on the 'net. It would be a good argument against this prohibition. It could open some eyes.

It comes during the hurricaine scene.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 08:28 AM
There's a scene in the Humphrey Bogart/Lauren Bacall classic Key Largo where gangsters are talking about how much they want prohibition back and what they'll do differently when they get it back. I can't seem to find where anyone has loaded this specific scene on the 'net. It would be a good argument against this prohibition. It could open some eyes.

I'd like to see that. The last people that want legalization are the cartels, street gangs, politicians, and the banksters that launder the money for them.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I'd like to see that. The last people that want legalization are the cartels, street gangs, politicians, and the banksters that launder the money for them.

And the second-to-last is Big Pharma.

Anyone know a way to upload to a computer from VHS?

Bruno
04-23-2009, 08:37 AM
And the second-to-last is Big Pharma.

Anyone know a way to upload to a computer from VHS?

True, and a lot more on that list. The Hy-Vee Food & Drug supermarket chain is the largest employer in Iowa and sells more beer, alcohol and pharmaceuticals. Ironically :rolleyes: the head of the Partnership for a Drug-Free Iowa (coughing back laughs at the irony) was also the president of Hy-Vee Food & Drug

Not sure how to upload from VHS, but would also like to know.

LATruth
04-23-2009, 11:39 AM
c'mon. You don't know potheads who's entire life gravitates around this plant? I know plenty. Its their beginning and their end. I think they'd seriously contemplating cutting off their appendages if they couldn't smoke for a week. It controls them instead of the other way around. Any obsession whether it be food, tv, a job, sex, & gambling can turn into a horrible problem if you don't have perspective. The people are intentionally distracted with garbage.

This is true about anything when said person has an addictive personality. It's not the pot, it's whatever they are clinging to at the time.

LATruth
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Not sure how to upload from VHS, but would also like to know.

You would need in RCA to USB converter. OR a TV capture card with coaxial cable input.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 11:44 AM
You would need in RCA to USB converter. OR a TV capture card with coaxial cable input.

So, in the case of the former, would any operating system recognize it and load it in the same way it would load a DVD in the burner? Or would the fact that it isn't a digital signal prevent it from working without the TV card?

LATruth
04-23-2009, 11:47 AM
So, in the case of the former, would any operating system recognize it and load it in the same way it would load a DVD in the burner? Or would the fact that it isn't a digital signal prevent it from working without the TV card?

Check this product out.

DAZZLE (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm)

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 11:53 AM
This is getting difficult and expensive. I don't suppose anyone out there has a DVD copy of Key Largo?

A. Havnes
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I still can't understand why, when the whole world is crashing, the most popular thing we can think of legalizing weed. I'm seriously beginning to think that this is just a distraction. Legalizing weed would be good, but in the face of an economic meltdown, and an out-of-control government, weed should be the last things on our minds!

Bruno
04-23-2009, 11:58 AM
I still can't understand why, when the whole world is crashing, the most popular thing we can think of legalizing weed. I'm seriously beginning to think that this is just a distraction. Legalizing weed would be good, but in the face of an economic meltdown, and an out-of-control government, weed should be the last things on our minds!

Its a huge step in the direction of freedom.

It's not a distraction when Obama laughs off the subject, is it? The economic meltdown is the real distraction, to seize more power, consoldidate it globally, and take more of our liberties and soveriegnty from us.

You could make your argument about anything. "We can't worry about X, we have to focus on the economy!"

Look what happened when Bush did nothing but focus on the War on Terra for 8 years. Nothing else got done (except preparing for said economic meltdown).

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 12:04 PM

It would loosen the grip of Big Pharma, quiet our southern border, be the result of calling Obama on another broken promise, enable the underground economy, cut down on the jailing of nonviolent people and set a number of them free, ease the tensions between the police and the public, and make the kids feel like they have a say in their governance, for starters.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 12:06 PM
It would loosen the grip of Big Pharma, quiet our southern border, be the result of calling Obama on another broken promise, enable the underground economy, cut down on the jailing of nonviolent people and set a number of them free, ease the tensions between the police and the public, and make the kids feel like they have a say in their governance, for starters.

+ 1

And some of those kids are 40 now. ;) :D

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 12:09 PM
+ 1

And some of those kids are 40 now. ;) :D

And over. And more than a few.

andrewh817
04-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Well seeing as how we're escalating the violence in yet another country with federal agents to stop the transportation of marijuana to the US, and seeing as how the most powerful drug lord in Mexico just made the Forbes billionaire list, and seeing as how our borders aren't exactly secure from the cartels south of the border, I'd say it's a PRETTY IMPORTANT ISSUE! This is hardly "just a distraction." If you want distractions go watch American Idol or something...

dannno
04-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Except that hemp frees man from the system.. It is exactly what we need if the elite decides to destroy society. If we had hemp growing everywhere, then people could make food, medicine and shelter out of it.

Hempseed is the most nutritious food. It is a complete protein with all the essential fatty acids one needs to survive. It also helps to treat hundreds of medical conditions. Right now patients are spending loads of money on cannabis medicines, but if it were legal then the price would come down significantly and the cost of treating people with cannabis would also come down.

Not to mention the drug war is really expensive and destroying our society.

acptulsa
04-23-2009, 12:25 PM
...but if it were legal then the price would come down significantly and the cost of treating people with cannabis would also come down.

Nonsense. They'd 'sin tax' the hell out of it. It wouldn't come down a penny.

That said, it's obviously cheap enough as it is. The greatest cost associated with it is the Drug War, not the drug.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Except that hemp frees man from the system.. It is exactly what we need if the elite decides to destroy society. If we had hemp growing everywhere, then people could make food, medicine and shelter out of it.

Hempseed is the most nutritious food. It is a complete protein with all the essential fatty acids one needs to survive. It also helps to treat hundreds of medical conditions. Right now patients are spending loads of money on cannabis medicines, but if it were legal then the price would come down significantly and the cost of treating people with cannabis would also come down.

Not to mention the drug war is really expensive and destroying our society.

I've often daydreamed on long road trips through Iowa of hemp planted along the wasted space of the highway ditches, grown each year for biomass fuel.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 01:23 PM

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think you've been reading too many articles in the High Times. :D;) I'm not discounting that hempseed is a superfood, but I don't see it in the same transformative light. It should be legal but its way down my priority list. Legalized marijauna isn't going to stop the rampant escalation of the state, help end the federal reserve nor protect our 2nd amendment rights. Its a beneficial plant, no more, no less.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think you've been reading too many articles in the High Times. :D;) I'm not discounting that hempseed is a superfood, but I don't see it in the same transformative light.

Methinks you haven't read enough High Times. :cool:

AuH20
04-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Methinks you haven't read enough High Times. :cool:

You're probably right. :D;) There's probably some interesting, thought provoking articles.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Well seeing as how we're escalating the violence in yet another country with federal agents to stop the transportation of marijuana to the US, and seeing as how the most powerful drug lord in Mexico just made the Forbes billionaire list, and seeing as how our borders aren't exactly secure from the cartels south of the border, I'd say it's a PRETTY IMPORTANT ISSUE! This is hardly "just a distraction." If you want distractions go watch American Idol or something...

If the drug trade in central america and Mexico stopped tomorrow, you don't think there would be a mass exodus of refugees to this country? What about an increase in hijackings, thanks to desperate criminal organizations adapting to the sudden realization that there is no market for their displaced product? Think about the thousands of individuals the drug trade directly employs. Unfortunately, the economies of these countries are wholly dependent on the drug trade. To think that peace and tranquility would ensue post-legalization is foolhardy. Let me reiterate that I'm on your side, but I don't see the same short term benefit.

The savior of mankind?

http://http://www.newsgroper.com/files/post_images/hemp.jpg

Guys, we need some perspective. Seriously. Once we dispose of these tyrants and free the country, you can plant all the hemp you want. You can peddle hemp lingerie for all I care!!

Bruno
04-23-2009, 02:07 PM
If the drug trade in central america and Mexico stopped tomorrow, you don't think there would be a mass exodus of refugees to this country? What about an increase in hijackings, thanks to desperate criminal organizations adapting to the sudden realization that there is no market for their displaced product? Think about the thousands of individuals the drug trade directly employs. Unfortunately, the economies of these countries are wholly dependent on the drug trade. To think that peace and tranquility would ensue post-legalization is foolhardy. Let me reiterate that I'm on your side, but I don't see the same short term benefit.

The savior of mankind?

http://http://www.newsgroper.com/files/post_images/hemp.jpg

Guys, we need some perspective. Seriously. Once we dispose of these tyrants and free the country, you can plant all the hemp you want. You can peddle hemp lingerie for all I care!!

Using that argument, we should make more things illegal so we could create more black market jobs in impoverished countries and to keep us safer. :rolleyes: Call Obama. He might be interested in that logic.

AuH20
04-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Using that argument, we should make more things illegal so we could create more black market jobs in impoverished countries and to keep us safer. :rolleyes: Call Obama. He might be interested in that logic.

I don't want to create any jobs outside our borders. I was just stating the reality of the situation. To think that there would be an abrupt ending to the violence wouldn't exactly be the truth. However, do the pros for legalization outweigh the cons? Certainly.

s35wf
04-23-2009, 02:38 PM
You're probably right. :D;) There's probably some interesting, thought provoking articles.

Instead of HighTimes; how about reading some interesting medical articles at norml.org

Bman
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Hundreds of thousands have protested for legalization. NORML and other groups have been fighting the fight for 30 years. The reasons why marijuana is not legalized has nothing to do with pot smokers not getting off their asses.

Yeah it may not be a good theory. However, I'm dumb founded why we can't get people into office that will change the policy.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah it may not be a good theory. However, I'm dumb founded why we can't get people into office that will change the policy.

I would hope, Bman, that after watching the last election you would realize that it is harder than one would imagine to get people who make sense (RP) into office to change policy. Marijuana is a political hot potato despite the numbers who believe it should be legalized. Logic and reason seldom prevail in politics.

Bruno
04-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Beware of people like this

I'm assuming, either correctly or incorrectly from your posts that you may or may not have used cannabis. I'm not personally interested in trying it, but if one were interested, how would one go about locating it with the minimal risk involved?

I appreciate any input you might be able to provide.

My response:

I'm assuming, either correctly or incorrectly that you created this account just to PM me based upon my comments on this thread, that you may or may not be a government troll trying to entrap me in an illegal behavior. If you're not interested in trying marijuana, why would you ask me where to get it? And you want to know where there is minimal risk? Try going to Amsterdam, where tolerance prevails over criminalization.

For the record, I haven't smoked in decades. However I strongly advocate that people should be able to do so legally.

carlangaslangas
04-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by RUSER1234
I'm assuming, either correctly or incorrectly from your posts that you may or may not have used cannabis. I'm not personally interested in trying it, but if one were interested, how would one go about locating it with the minimal risk involved?

Dear Ruser:

If one were interested, one would visit one of these places:
http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Directory.html
I believe summer is the best time to visit that beautiful city.
:p

asimplegirl
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
This:

Is scary...How do we know if that is someone trying to trap people? I know it seems silly, but man....

Bruno
04-24-2009, 05:44 AM
This:

Is scary...How do we know if that is someone trying to trap people? I know it seems silly, but man....

There is no way to know for sure. The other option is ruser1234 is simply an idiot for creating an account to PM me where to find marijuana when he/she doesn't personally want some.