PDA

View Full Version : NCLR Gears Up: NATIONAL CALL IN FOR AMNESTY

libertygrl
04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Just found the following at: http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-153892.html

Elena Gaona
(202) 785-1670FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Apr 22, 2009

NCLR NETWORK GEARS UP FOR "REFLECTION AND ACTION: A NATIONAL CALL-IN FOR IMMIGRATION REFORM"

Washington, DC-As the nation nears the end of the first 100 days of the Obama administration, NCLR (National Council of La Raza), the largest national Hispanic civil rights and advocacy organization in the United States, and its network of Affiliates and partners will embark on "Reflection and Action: A National Call-In for Immigration Reform."

From house call-in parties to community center and church gatherings, the goal is for participants to come together between April 27 and May 1 to reflect on immigration reform and call their members of Congress to continue the push for immigration reform. The video America's Immigration Legacy offers reflection to advocates participating in call-ins.

To date, NCLR has nearly 30 registered events in 16 states and the District of Columbia, including Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.

"We are part of the steady drumbeat of support for workable immigration reform, and we can no longer let a bully minority stand in the way of solutions," said Janet Murguía, NCLR President and CEO. "There is a policy urgency and a moral obligation calling on us to resolve the immigration issue, and if these imperatives are not enough, it's also smart politics, as recent electoral cycles have shown."

During the past two months, energy and activity have been growing around the need for fair and workable immigration reform, as evidenced by advocacy day events at the state and national levels, congressional visits, prayer vigils, calls, faxes, emails, town hall meetings, and community forums-organized by labor, faith, and local and national groups.

The NCLR network, made up of nearly 300 community-based organizations throughout the country and several thousand advocates, has sent more than 2,700 supportive messages to the Obama administration and Congress, after national news confirmed the President's commitment to immigration reform in 2009. NCLR's network has also conducted close to 170 congressional visits in the past two months.

In addition, last week, hundreds of organizations and community advocates joined NCLR in "Latino Call to Action," a teleconference meeting where congressional staff and organizational leaders discussed the growing momentum for immigration reform. Convened by Murguía, the teleconference included Cesar Gonzalez, Legislative Director for Rep. Lincoln Diaz-Balart (R-FL); Susan Collins, Legislative Director for Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL); and Irene Godínez, Advocacy Director for El Pueblo, Inc. in North Carolina. The speakers shared perspectives on the outlook for immigration reform and strategies for its realization. The leaders agreed that there is no better time than 2009 for immigration reform.

"Now is the time for a practical solution that is in the best interest of our country," Murguía said. "Our community stands at the ready to make change happen."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best interest for our country?????? That lady is smoking crack!
I heard Obama is going to push for Amnesty starting next month. How could he even consider Amnesty now with so many Americans losing jobs, homes, etc. Oh, that's right. I forgot... Isn't the CFR deadline for the NAU integration - 2012?

I'm exhausted. They're coming at us from so many different sides! From protesting the Fed, Amnesty, Tea Party rallies, etc...my brain is just about fried...

rpfan2008
04-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Hmm so this is where the domestic 'security' force will come from. Obama is going to create a security force as a part of stimulating the economy, and they already mentioned who shouldn't be expecting 'gains' from such stimulus plans. I may be a bit off on it, but everything will boil down to this, I suppose.