PDA

View Full Version : John Galt Immortalized | What do you think?

donkefant
04-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Let me know what you think of this! Amazing!

YouTube - This is John Galt Speeking | A Montage of Modern History (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1JiAYJTZJA)

JeNNiF00F00
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I think its great but they spelled "speaking" wrong in the title :)

DirtMcGirt
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
there was another one like this, I think the beginning was Fred Thompson of all people. Pretty good but I don't like the Galt voice in this one.

jonahtrainer
04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
I liked it. Good video and hits on the critical issues that people have confused and accepted.

eOs
04-21-2009, 10:53 PM
someone should hax0r teh television and play this on every channelzzz

asimplegirl
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
I am new to all this, so I don't know who half these people are..I am in the larval stage. :)

BKV
04-21-2009, 10:58 PM
I do believe serving myself is first, which is why I believe might makes right.

nickcoons
04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
there was another one like this, I think the beginning was Fred Thompson of all people. Pretty good but I don't like the Galt voice in this one.

You're right, the voice in this one doesn't fit the character at all. The best John Galt voice is the person who narrated the audio book, and is also used in this video series:

YouTube - "This is John Galt Speaking" #1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOt6rUkU5xY)

It doesn't start until about a minute and a half in.

I am new to all this, so I don't know who half these people are..I am in the larval stage. :)

John Galt is the hero of Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged, probably the best work of fiction ever.

I do believe serving myself is first, which is why I believe might makes right.

The latter is not a corollary of the former.

BKV
04-21-2009, 11:38 PM
The latter is not a corollary of the former.

but they are consistent.

nickcoons
04-21-2009, 11:52 PM
but they are consistent.

In practice they usually aren't. Voluntary cooperation with others in almost all cases will suit your own self-interest much more than initiating force. It's the moral acceptance of the institutionalized initiation of force that brought us to the government we have today, and of the vast majority of people accepting the government, not in agreeing with each issue, but in sanctioning its premises.

BKV
04-22-2009, 12:56 AM
In practice they usually aren't. Voluntary cooperation with others in almost all cases will suit your own self-interest much more than initiating force.

Unless you can read my mind, you can't say that I wouldn't rather use force, or force isn't part of my pleasure and self interest.

It's the moral acceptance of the institutionalized initiation of force that brought us to the government we have today, and of the vast majority of people accepting the government, not in agreeing with each issue, but in sanctioning its premises.

Not everything the government does is bad.

0zzy
04-22-2009, 01:00 AM
the professional audio inspires me to buy the book. i hardly read tho, so 1000+ pages is intimidating.

nickcoons
04-22-2009, 01:03 AM
Unless you can read my mind, you can't say that I wouldn't rather use force, or force isn't part of my pleasure and self interest.

I wasn't proposing an ability to read your mind or determine what you considered your self-interest. You misunderstood. I was speaking in general terms, which should have been implied with the use of the words "usually" and "almost".

Not everything the government does is bad.

How do you classify that as a disagreement to what I said?

nickcoons
04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
the professional audio inspires me to buy the book. i hardly read tho, so 1000+ pages is intimidating.

The audio book is excellent; buy it instead if the idea of sifting through a large book is daunting. The reader does a wonderful job, with only his voice, of creating subtle differences between the voices and attitudes of the characters.

0zzy
04-22-2009, 01:16 AM
The audio book is excellent; buy it instead if the idea of sifting through a large book is daunting. The reader does a wonderful job, with only his voice, of creating subtle differences between the voices and attitudes of the characters.

I think I might buy both :). I might try to multitask if it's just audio and not listen as much as I should. Perhaps both read while listening? dono. I'll try reading it first, I read the first page aloud myself and it feels like a good beginning so I might be able to read all pages! it'll just take forever :)

BKV
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
I wasn't proposing an ability to read your mind or determine what you considered your self-interest. You misunderstood. I was speaking in general terms, which should have been implied with the use of the words "usually" and "almost".

So you agree if people are pursuing self interest, it shouldn't matter if it's by persuasion, bribery or force?

How do you classify that as a disagreement to what I said?

Wasn't trying to disagree, just making sure.