PDA

View Full Version : Should I ever use my time to work on this person?

IRO-bot
09-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Here was an e-mail response I got when I mentioned Ron Paul.

That is not the only thing he stands for Evan. Unlike you, I did watch him on Fox news and he is in a cloud when it comes to the issue of war. We are from now on going to be at war. No mater how much we talk to them or play nicely with them, they are going to want to take us over. The sole purpose of the European Union was to take over the US. To have a power larger and stronger than us.

I am all for abolishing the IRS and I am for all politicians NOT getting paid. But I don’t believe our Constitution is a “living” document, meant to change with the times. I have tons of info on it, our founding fathers and all their documents if you want to see them. Especially how we were 100% founded as a Christian Nation. And Yes, I know some of the founding fathers were considered diests and some not believers, but I can show you other info. I also have some great quotes from Charles Darwin that you may be interested in too. Just let me know and I will be happy to give it to you to look over sometime.

Gotta get back to work…talk to ya later.

She is a Fred Thompson supporter and a Fox News watcher.

apropos
09-19-2007, 06:37 AM
This is touching upon a larger debate about the war. Just ask her a few key questions about her stance. That should start to give you wiggle room in convincing her.

- What constitutes victory? Is that realistic? Do we have enough money? Enough men?
- Why haven't we declared war since WWII? We only have authorization to use military force in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Are our efforts, money, and manpower worth the best case scenario in Iraq? Is it worth it in general?

You can tell your friend that we are no longer really fighting terrorism in Iraq...we're trying to keep two Islamic sects from killing each other. We are nation building, in other words, and trying to slap something together so we can save face. Just ask her to look at it as an investment, and whether staying there longer (ie. years) is ultimately going to be worth our effort. Does this still help America when you factor in the money, manpower, resources, divided homefront, etc?

Severius
09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
But I don’t believe our Constitution is a “living” document, meant to change with the times.

If she really believes that, then the only candidate she can support is Ron Paul. It's ridiculous to say you believe in the Constitution as it was written, then turn around and denounce the man who says we need to go back and follow the Constitution as it was written. Fred Thompson supports war without a declaration, he will use laws passed by this administration that violate our first, second, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eigth, ninth, and tenth amendments to our Constitution. He supports through his refusal to denounce, the abolishment of habeas corpus and the authority of the President to pronounce any American citizen an "unlawful combatant" for any reason the President can think of, and ship that American citizen out of the country to be held without charge and tortured. If she has so much literature on the subject she should know this. Perhaps she should spend more time reading the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act of 2006, and all of the Executive Orders Bush has signed in order to bypass Congress and violate the foundation upon which our country was founded. If she thinks that Fred Thompson of all people is going to fix these atrocities she is ignorant at best. She should read about the candidate she supports, rather than blindly listening to whatever bile Faux News is spewing forth from their insufferable, lying orifices. The only candidate who even claims to want to follow the Constitution is Ron Paul, and he has proven he means what he says through his voting record in more than twenty years in the Congress.

sickmint79
09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
i have a complete failure to understand why anyone supports fred thompson. i do not understand what makes him appealing whatsoever.

regarding the war, you should have her watch "the power of nightmares" and "why we fight" and the ron paul freedomfest debate.

Johnnybags
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Here was an e-mail response I got when I mentioned Ron Paul.

That is not the only thing he stands for Evan. Unlike you, I did watch him on Fox news and he is in a cloud when it comes to the issue of war. We are from now on going to be at war. No mater how much we talk to them or play nicely with them, they are going to want to take us over. The sole purpose of the European Union was to take over the US. To have a power larger and stronger than us.

I am all for abolishing the IRS and I am for all politicians NOT getting paid. But I don’t believe our Constitution is a “living” document, meant to change with the times. I have tons of info on it, our founding fathers and all their documents if you want to see them. Especially how we were 100% founded as a Christian Nation. And Yes, I know some of the founding fathers were considered diests and some not believers, but I can show you other info. I also have some great quotes from Charles Darwin that you may be interested in too. Just let me know and I will be happy to give it to you to look over sometime.

Gotta get back to work…talk to ya later.

She is a Fred Thompson supporter and a Fox News watcher.

Has her brainwashed. Perhaps convince her the Iraq war was an oil control war under the guise of weapons of mass destruction. Tell her LRay Hunt a Bush crony oil man from Texas just negotiated rights with the Kurds for oil exploration and production against the Iraq government wishes. How in the world are they ever gonna reconcile with the Kurds living like Saudi princes and the rest of Iraq broke? The more the Kurds get rich now, the less likely any revenue from the oils wells there goes to the central government.

njandrewg
09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
tell her that our involvement in Iraq...is going to make us weak when we have to fight Chinese and Russians in the next war.

Because we won't have the money, our troops won't be ready, our technology has fallen behind, we lost most of our allies.

Then tell her that the Iraq war has ruined our economy, so much that Chinese can destroy us w/o firing a single shot, by just dumping all our dollars.

Essentailly because she makes her reason because of fear, use that fear to get her scared about something else

bdmarti
09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
wow.

the idea that "they" want to take us over and that "they" think they could is just absurd.

The US military budget is right around the size of the military budget for the rest of the world. There is no nation, or combination of nations, that could successfully invade the US.

Even if we stopped funding our military today, our gun's per capita ratio, combined with the rabid nationalism and freedom loving of some americans would result in any occupying force wishing they had it as easy as things are in Bagdad.

and then I'd like her to define "christian" (in the context of what it means to be a "christian nation") and then compare whatever her answer is to the answers of 100 other random cristians...I'm pretty sure every single answer will be different, and often radically so.

For instance, I know of entire "christian" sects that welcome homosexuals with open arms and others that shun them like they are the spawn of the devil. What would the policy of a "christian nation" be regarding homosexuals and their various activities? I suppose whatever sects disagree with her are simply not christians, or they interpreted things wrong?

Edit: what I'm trying to say is that after we (mostly) agree that stealing and murder are in general bad things, the various interpretations of the bible diverge, often greatly. What is acceptable or proper in various "christian" sects varies greatly. I'm pretty sure that the founders didn't want the federal government to favor one sect's interpretation over any other.

IRO-bot
09-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Well, thanks for the advice guys. But I honestly believe she only "feels" that way becasue

#1. Either her pastor or some really "important" christian told her to feel that way.

#2. Fox news told her to feel that way.

Seriously. She is nice, and kind, but not much of an independent thinker. At least, not outside the box thinker.

mesler
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Burn a copy of a Scheuer interview, in particular the one with Scott Horton.

IRO-bot
09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
tell her that our involvement in Iraq...is going to make us weak when we have to fight Chinese and Russians in the next war.

Because we won't have the money, our troops won't be ready, our technology has fallen behind, we lost most of our allies.

Then tell her that the Iraq war has ruined our economy, so much that Chinese can destroy us w/o firing a single shot, by just dumping all our dollars.

Essentailly because she makes her reason because of fear, use that fear to get her scared about something else

I tried that once, but she firmly believe the chinese will never attack. For reasons such as they depend on us to buy their goods, and we export so much beef over there. I countered and said name one necessity that China produces that we can't live without, and I also said China is one of the largest chicken producers in the world. It didn't work.