PDA

View Full Version : Obama Nominates Tyrannical 'Mothers Against Drunk Drivers' CEO for NHTSA Head

Knightskye
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.reason.com/blog/show/132977.html

Hurley is a lifelong anti-alcohol activist. MADD’s top priority during his stint as CEO was to get states to pass a law mandating ignition interlock devices in the cars of all first-time DWI offenders. The device requires you to blow into a tube before starting your car, then blow again at set intervals as you’re driving. Under Hurley’s watch, MADD also gave a “qualified endorsement” for bills in the New York and New Mexico legislatures that would have required the devices in all cars sold in those states.

But Hurley isn’t just a zealot on alcohol. His default position seems to be in favor of more highway safety laws, more regulations, and more reasons to stop and fine motorists. Hurley has pushed states to adopt primary seat belt laws, which in addition to being a questionable use of law enforcement resources (people who don’t wear seat belts aren’t a threat to anyone other than themselves), have been criticized in some quarters for giving police officers another tool to engage in racial profiling, or as a pretext stop in asset forfeiture cases. Hurley has also supported the proliferation of red light cameras, despite studies showing they actually cause more accidents than they prevent.

This guy is a nutcase. :eek: How do we stop him?

axiomata
04-20-2009, 07:35 PM
How is he a mother?

Regarding his promotion: par for the course. Less freedom, more regulation.

devil21
04-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Sounds like more random checkpoint funding will be in the pipeline soon. When you nominate someone that cares NOTHING about rights and privacy like a MADD Nazi to head up the NHTSA, who knows where it will stop. Mandatory ignition interlocks on all cars? Mandatory GPS trackers? With the gov't practically controlling the US auto industry its really not far fetched.

He Who Pawns
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
FUCK that guy! :mad:

Mandatory breathalizers in all cars?

Knightskye
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Sounds like more random checkpoint funding will be in the pipeline soon. When you nominate someone that cares NOTHING about rights and privacy like a MADD Nazi to head up the NHTSA, who knows where it will stop. Mandatory ignition interlocks on all cars? Mandatory GPS trackers? With the gov't practically controlling the US auto industry its really not far fetched.

Mandating "safety" add-ons would make cars more expensive. Check out that free market go!

FUCK that guy! :mad:

Mandatory breathalizers in all cars?

Don't underestimate the power of hackers. :)

How is he a mother?

Think suffixes.

Regarding his promotion: par for the course. Less freedom, more regulation.

Well, Janet Napolitano did a 180 when she got appointed, didn't she? I guess it's "less freedom, more regulation" once you get in office.

Bruno
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Mandating "safety" add-ons would make cars more expensive. Check out that free market go!

Don't underestimate the power of hackers. :)

Think suffixes.

Well, Janet Napolitano did a 180 when she got appointed, didn't she? I guess it's "less freedom, more regulation" once you get in office.

lmao :D

Dripping Rain
04-20-2009, 09:56 PM
this same organization was caught just 2 months ago committing fraud. there were millions in donations stolen and sketchy money books. someone please help me find a link
the msm suppressed the story. how can those robber barons be nominated to serve the government?
heres an article on the fraud in their canadian division

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5b3_1191974155

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
The surprises just keep coming. This time they won't amend the Constitution to bring back Prohibition.

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 10:24 PM
I am about to throw up.

angelatc
04-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I am not convinced that a political activist is qualified to run that department.

The woman that founded MADD left them and pretty much denounced them because they've gone so far overboard with their mission creep.

From Wikipedia:

She left MADD in 1985.[3] She has since stated that MADD "has become far more neo-prohibitionist than I had ever wanted or envisioned … I didn’t start MADD to deal with alcohol. I started MADD to deal with the issue of drunk driving".[4]

Brian4Liberty
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
The irony is too much. Some people thought that Obama was going to legalize marijuana. Instead, he will make alcohol illegal... :rolleyes:

Knightskye
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
lmao :D

;)

The irony is too much. Some people thought that Obama was going to legalize marijuana. Instead, he will make alcohol illegal... :rolleyes:

Yeah, history will repeat itself, but Bill Maher will not be happy.

phill4paul
04-23-2009, 04:29 AM
Not surprising. The two organizations have worked hand in hand skewing figures and legislating prohibition for decades.
I see a "drunk" driving epidemic in the near future.
Something along the lines..."After decades of falling numbers with regards to drunk driving fatalities we are seeing a trend reversal of staggering proportions. We must mandate breath-locks for every car in America. The cost to do this will be 500.00 per car, but the government is offering a tax rebate of 300.00 on a limited basis."
Count on it.

idiom
04-23-2009, 04:32 AM
I dunno that free markets can stop those ideas...

In Australia the private roads manage to be even more controlling than the public roads (which is pretty hard).

Bern
04-23-2009, 04:44 AM
It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.