PDA

View Full Version : Update on Interest Group in Highschool. (School ignores rights to association)

Nate SY
04-20-2009, 04:01 PM
So a while back I posted about my school forcing students to participate in an invisible children video, which is being used to pressure interference in Uganda. The administration told me that the video would be taken care of after they heard students that didn't want to be included were forced to participate. They lied, posted it, and even showed it at lunch today. On loop...

So I went to the principle, complained and was asked to write my complaints. This is a copy of the letter, names are removed.

Issues with the Youtube promoting the invisible children's message prompting the U.S. Government to "Help" Uganda.

1. Ms._____ and Mr. ______ informed me that the video would "be taken care of". Obviously, it was not. I feel I was lied to so I would stop complaining. I have been disregarded and disrespected as a student.

2. Students included in the video were there because of fear of punishment. This shows no consideration for students First Amendment right to freedom of association.

3. I have been told that students who did not opt out of being in videos at the beginning of the year agree to be in this video. First, not opting out does not mean agreement. Second, this only applies to videos associating you with Bethel, not political interest groups like the group the video supports. To do that video without a release form from everyone in it is illegal as it violates Freedom of Association.

4. The school has no right to submit impressionable teenagers to a political opinion without allowing the opposing view to also present itself. If you show support for interfering in Uganda, at the very least show the history of government interfering in Africa.

5. The school used fear to make students attend the assembly and to participate in the video.

6. It is not the position of the school to make political statements, ever. The school is here to teach facts, not to preach opinions.

Overall my issue is that the school lied to me and showed no respect for multiple students political opinions. I believe that if the school has ANY respect for its students they will remove the video from youtube and STOP promoting the invisible children in school. For the record, I do not disagree with helping the children in Uganda, but with the method of achieving the help the invisible children propose.

-Also regardless of if you can tell who is in the video, it is not right for the school to make anyone be in it, to do so is to show more interest in supporting personal views of the staff than in furthering the education of the student.

Thank you,
My Signature

-P.S. I intend for this to be an Open letter, and will be posting it online. Without names.

Actually more upset now that I've seen the video on youtube. They imply that the entire school supports it, which I and many others don't.

Video
YouTube - Howard Schultz Come to The Rescue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9-CTeUC4A)

Do me a favor and leave it some comments about why we SHOULDN'T interfere there.

misterx
04-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure what's more disturbing, that the school forced several students to participate, or that most were willing participants. This world is in big trouble.

silverhawks
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure what's more disturbing, that the school forced several students to participate, or that most were willing participants. This world is in big trouble.

I remember being that young; if someone had asked me to do something to help someone else, I'd have done it as well. I can't criticise them for charitable impulses.

It's much more disturbing that this has been pushed through schools, because it gives politics an "in".

It's playing on the better (and less cynical) nature of youth to want to help, and want to reach across divides, to advance a political agenda that they cannot possibly be in a place to understand.

I think we get naturally more cautious and cynical as we get older; I know it's only as I've got older that I've gradually become aware of the BS we get fed by Big Government, and that all it does is retard progress.

akihabro
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Congrats on standing up for yourself!!!

Nate SY
04-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanks guys, the responses on the youtube is great.

If anybody else has the time, please comment. And rate the comments of others who are (obviously =D) from here.

Thanks again!

libertarian4321
04-21-2009, 06:56 AM
This thing sounds moronic.

Even if the "celebrity" bothers to show up and "rescue" the "symbolic abductees", what difference will that make?

At most, the celebrity will get some publicity on the local news program when it runs a 2 minute blurb on this "rescue." The people involved will all feel great about themselves.

Then everyone will forget about it and go about their business. Nothing will change in Uganda.

Just dumb...

Nate SY
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
This thing sounds moronic.

Even if the "celebrity" bothers to show up and "rescue" the "symbolic abductees", what difference will that make?

At most, the celebrity will get some publicity on the local news program when it runs a 2 minute blurb on this "rescue." The people involved will all feel great about themselves.

Then everyone will forget about it and go about their business. Nothing will change in Uganda.

Just dumb...

The idea (according to the people who spoke at my school) is that this will show popular support and pressure the government into interfering there.

Btw, every time I talk to any of the strong supporters of the Invisible Children about the non-interventionism, they say "But it's not just the U.S. it's a bunch of countries." as if that changes whether we should be interfering or not.

Dave Scotese
05-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I have begun spreading the word about Grace Llewellyn's book "The Teenage Liberation Handbook". I haven't figured out how best to get the idea of leaving school into the heads of students and/or parents (and/or teachers - and yes I bet dollars to donuts there are some who would happily help!), but I'm working on it all the time.

As for the Uganda issue:
I think helping is a GREAT idea! But forcing others to help by taxing them turns that greatness into horror. Everyone here understands how that is (I hope), and our job is to help others see it.

I suggest arguing that help for Uganda (or anyone) should come from those who want the spiritual benefits of having helped. Every bit of help provided by a tax-supported government destroys another opportunity for a person seeking spiritual benefit to provide that help instead. The receiver of the help is also harmed by government aid because they have no one to thank and honor.

The idea of destroying one's interest in learning something by forcing them to learn it is well represented in Llewellyn's book, and a lot of psychological research, and destroying the tendency to help by forcing people to help is a very close relative.

In any case, I think spreading the "leave school" idea will be one of the most powerful things we can do.

ceakins
05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Hmm seems the video is now set to private.

dannno
05-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Hmm seems the video is now set to private.

Yup.. grrr..

Kludge
05-20-2009, 02:22 PM
It may also be worthwhile to write up a letter for fellow students to take home and have signed by parents, noting that their student was forced to be included in video which was made available to the general public against their will supporting a political cause, if the school did not already do that.

If the school did not, you perhaps should also considering making the letter appear as though it's from the school to generate additional buzz and phone calls to the school. I'm sure they'd appreciate that. :D

Mesogen
05-20-2009, 02:26 PM
The school is here to teach facts, not to preach opinions.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !

Yeah, right.