PDA

View Full Version : Caught In The AIPAC- Andrew Sullivan article

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 10:33 AM
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/04/caught-in-the-aipac.html

Where does one begin in Jeff Stein's scoop in CQ? Is it more of a scandal that the Bushies were wire-tapping Harman and then were in a position to blackmail her if she didn't provide public support for ... their warrantless wire-tapping? Or is it just another day at the office (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=hsnews-000003098436&cpage=1) for AIPAC:

Rep. Jane Harman ... was overheard on an NSA wiretap telling a suspected Israeli agent that she would lobby the Justice Department to reduce espionage-related charges against two officials of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee, the most powerful pro-Israel organization in Washington. Harman was recorded saying she would “waddle into” the AIPAC case “if you think it’ll make a difference,” according to two former senior national security officials familiar with the NSA transcript.

In exchange for Harman’s help, the sources said, the suspected Israeli agent pledged to help lobby Nancy Pelosi , D-Calif., then-House minority leader, to appoint Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee after the 2006 elections, which the Democrats were heavily favored to win. Seemingly wary of what she had just agreed to, according to an official who read the NSA transcript, Harman hung up after saying, “This conversation doesn’t exist.”

A suspected Israeli agent able to deliver AIPAC and AIPAC able to deliver Pelosi? Take it away, professor Walt!

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
this should be on fox and cnn every 5 minutes... break news flash.

Kraig
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM

Not gonna happen, maybe CNN but I think Fox is far too "pro Israel".

RiJiD-W1LL
04-20-2009, 10:38 AM
WoW. thanks!

Original_Intent
04-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I vote just another day at the office for AIPAC.

Good find. I usually enjoy reading Andy S, he seems like a straight shooter.

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Not gonna happen, maybe CNN but I think Fox is far too "pro Israel".

CNN is pro-democrat, so i guess we are out of luck.
Maybe freedom watch?

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Anyone have a link to the thread Shelly Roche put up today?
I think this should be discussed in this wednesday freedom watch.

sluggo
04-20-2009, 10:51 AM
I doubt this story will get much play for fear of the "antisemitism" label.

Cowlesy
04-20-2009, 10:59 AM
Wow. How is this huge news?

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow. How is this huge news?

I don't think Joe Public understands what AIPAC is... this news would go a long way to shedding some light on the subject.

AuH20
04-20-2009, 11:12 AM
I love how Sullivan paints it as only Bush made malfeasance. Hey buddy, your PRESIDENT didn't freeze the 30 billion in weaponry to Israel. He's just as complicit as Bush!!!

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I love how Sullivan paints it as only Bush made malfeasance. Hey buddy, your PRESIDENT didn't freeze the 30 billion in weaponry to Israel. He's just as complicit as Bush!!!

Did you see this part?

In exchange for Harman’s help, the sources said, the suspected Israeli agent pledged to help lobby Nancy Pelosi , D-Calif., then-House minority leader, to appoint Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee after the 2006 elections, which the Democrats were heavily favored to win. Seemingly wary of what she had just agreed to, according to an official who read the NSA transcript, Harman hung up after saying, “This conversation doesn’t exist.”

AuH20
04-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Did you see this part?

Yes, I was responding to Sullivan's comments. ;)

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, I was responding to Sullivan's comments. ;)

Ah, I didn't see any comments when I posted the article.

AuH20
04-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Ah, I didn't see any comments when I posted the article.

Sullivan can't see past his own fingers!

Where does one begin in Jeff Stein's scoop in CQ? Is it more of a scandal that the Bushies were wire-tapping Harman and then were in a position to blackmail her if she didn't provide public support for ... their warrantless wire-tapping? Or is it just another day at the office for AIPAC:

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Sullivan can't see past his own fingers!

I saw the article as showing how both dems and repubs use AIPAC for nefarious purposes, while AIPAC uses both of them

AuH20
04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I saw the article as showing how both dems and repubs use AIPAC for nefarious purposes, while AIPAC uses both of them

Sullivan doesn't though. He sees it as some rogue democrat blackmailed by Bush. :D You and I know it goes far deeper than that.

He Who Pawns
04-20-2009, 11:23 AM
There needs to be a massive, full-scale investigation of this NOW.

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
There needs to be a massive, full-scale investigation of this NOW.

I don't expect Pelosi to call for an investigation of herself. :D

Liberty Star
04-20-2009, 11:33 AM
This could be very bad news for Congresswoman Jane Herman ( one of the richest in Congress) and Bush AG Gonzalez and not just AIPAC and Israeli spy cited in these wire taps.

Another take on this fast brewing scandal:

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/04/20/harman/

http://www.alternet.org/blogs/rights/137494/bombshell:_rep._jane_harman_caught_on_tape_agreein g_to_lobby_for_alleged_aipac_israel_spies/

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 12:09 PM
bump

Liberty Star
04-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Wont be surprised if Fox has an internal memo to blackout this news.

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
bump

acptulsa
04-20-2009, 01:17 PM
This is scaring me. If this crap can't even fire us up, I fear that the public outcry which is so necessary to get garbage investigated these days just isn't going to happen. Pity. Black eyes for Pelosi, the Intelligence Committee and AIPAC all in one fell swoop would be a wonderful thing! And people would learn more about wireless surveillance in the process.

torchbearer
04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
Live discussion on this matter can be found here right now: http://innovation.cq.com/liveonline/54/landing

Kotin
04-20-2009, 01:25 PM
this is a good find but I am thinking they will cover their ass somehow..:mad:

youngbuck
04-20-2009, 02:02 PM
this is a good find but I am thinking they will cover their ass somehow..:mad:

As always...

with the help of our gov't and MSM of course.

Liberty Star
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Live discussion on this matter can be found here right now: http://innovation.cq.com/liveonline/54/landing

Interesting discussion.

Jace
04-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Liberty Star
04-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Interesting detail on Gonzales role:

Gonzales Stopped FBI Probe Of Rep. Harman Because He 'Needed Jane' To Support Warrantless Wiretapping

http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/gonzo0409web.jpg

CQ's Jeff Stein reports that sometime before the 2006 elections, the National Security Agency wiretapped Rep. Jane Harman (D-CA) offering a quid pro quo to unnamed Israeli agents: Harman would lobby the Justice Department to "reduce espionage-related charges against two officials of the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee," while the Israelis would lobby soon-to-be House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) to name Harman chair of the Intelligence Committee.

While this story has been previously reported, "what is new," Stein reports, is the court-approved NSA wiretap. Previous reports also said that an investigation of Harman was dropped because of "lack of evidence." However, Stein reports that one official "with first-hand knowledge" of the case "called that 'bull****'" and that "according to knowledgeable officials," it was actually then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales who intervened on Harman's behalf in mid-2005 to stop the FBI's investigation in exchange for because he needed her help selling the Bush administration's warrantless wiretap program:

Gonzales was right. Just five days after the Times reported on the NSA program, Harman came out in defense of the Bush administration:

On Dec. 21, 2005, in the midst of a firestorm of criticism about the wiretaps, Harman issued a statement defending the operation and slamming the Times, saying, "I believe it essential to U.S. national security, and that its disclosure has damaged critical intelligence capabilities."

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/04/20/gonzales-harman-nsa/

Lord Xar
04-21-2009, 10:55 PM
As always...

with the help of our gov't and MSM of course.

Remember that saying....

Anytime but now..
Anyplace but here....

If we rely on "others" to inform people, then might as well pack it in now.
What prevents everyone one of us from going to all the blogs we know, all the youtube videos we can etc... and posting a short concise blurb with a link to the story. Nothing...

This is what we need to do...