PDA

View Full Version : Should RNC go after MSNBC?

wsc321
04-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Based on the fact that MSNBC has deemed it acceptable to label hundreds of thousands of Americans as "racist rednecks" for protesting during the Tea Parties, and their top show host has actually endorsed this position, the RNC should either demand Olbermann be fired or boycott MSNBC.

Valli6
04-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Yes, MSNBC and CNN slandered and stereotyped hundreds of thousands of Americans as mentioned above. FOX also misrepresented them. But the RNC is not our representitive, as they've always been just as quick to slander us (See: Ron Paul Campaign 2008). I don't believe the RNC is our friend.

What I witnessed:
MSNBC, CNN, and FOX never found the Tea parties or any other protests (on government spending, taxes, unconstitutional behavior, etc,) newsworthy before. It was only after FOX decided to advertise the event that the other 2 became involved. Hence, none of them were covering a news event, they were simply engaging in their standard rivalry with each other. They used us to play a game and slandered us in the process.

Despite having reached the "age of the internet", there was no attempt to do any research. Why google 'Tea Party' with additional criteria (to exclude 2009 hits) to learn something of it's true origins? If FOX is pushing it, "let's label it a FOX, neocon, anti-Obama, unquestioningly pro-Bush thing". CNN and MSNBC simply countered with their standard unquestioningly pro-Obama, anti-Bush response.

We know there were plenty of HR1207 signs, but did anyone from FOX, CNN or MSNBC mention it, let alone inform the audience as to what HR1207 is about and why you might care? I was approached by quite a few people at the Tea Party I attended, who had been unaware of HR 1207 and thought it was a great idea!

CNN and MSNBC were quick to point out that everyone earning under $250,000 gets a tax "cut". But did they allow any protester to explain that it will allow us to keep enough of our own money to pay for approximately; 1 pack of cigarettes per week, OR 1 1/2 boxes of cereal per week, OR 2 gallons of milk per week? (Okay, I'm estimating here, these figures are unrefined) No, they told the world that we were just so ignorant that we were oblivious of the magnanimous gift that "Obama" is bestowing upon us. Or we hate Obama so much that we'll never appreciate anything he does "for us". And we hate him because he's not 100% white! What kind of simpleton peasants do they think we are?!

Instead, they chose to focus on the guy with the obligatory president-as-Hitler picture (What president HASN"T been characterized as Hitler over the last 30 or 40 years? Carter, maybe?) Or the inevitable spattering of people who simply enjoy hating any president who is not of their habitual party. We saw fake videos created by Obamabots to portray us as ignorant stereotypes. Was there any mention of the fact that the GOP head's request to speak was refused? Or that Congressman Barrett(R) was booed unrelentingly? They lied about us again and again, insisting that none of us protested while Bush was in office!!! There was no investigative reporting here, not even a little internet research! FOX just ate it all up! I have little doubt that everyone's ratings spiked for a few days.

Just when FOX eases up on calling us extremists and terrorists, our very own government starts putting out reports calling us extremists and terrorists! I don't hear anyone from FOX, CNN or MSNBC pointing out that we are the one's that wanted to bring our troops home! We're the ones who want to maintain friendships with other countries, rather than choosing sides where it is none of our business! We're the ones that want to maintain a strong defense so that when provoked, and only when provoked, we can destroy an enemy! And we're the only ones keeping a watchful eye on all of our constitutional rights, not just the rights that are convenient to our current agenda!

This hideous portrayal was never an attempt to inform the public of a news event! At best, it was a perverted game between broadcasters. At worst, it was a conscious effort to convince the public we are dishonorable, depraved, ignorant, racists and we should never be listened to! Either way we've been damaged!

No doubt it's been tried before, but is there no way to address the ugly abuse heaped on us by the networks? I'm talking about slander and the destruction of our credibility as honest, trustworthy people. It's not like the facts were inaccessible! They consciously chose to ignore them! Internet searching makes it rather impossible to excuse one's self from learning at least some pertinent facts. They hire fact-checkers, don't they?

Why shouldn't the ACLU be willing to act on our behalf? Is there no recourse for us? What would it require to act on our own behalf? I mean technically, would this be a legal issue, a civil rights issue, a discrimination issue or what?
:mad:

orafi
04-20-2009, 01:09 PM
No, but the CFL should :)

Kludge
04-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Probably, but I hope not. MSNBC has been giving libertarianism a lot of good press to try and divide-and-conquer the GOP. MSNBC attacked the Tea Parties but then associated it with neoconservatism (though the racism was probably planted bullshit), while Maddow argued that the Tea Parties were stolen from conservative-libertarians.

The real problem we're going to face long-term though, I believe, is that we aren't going to pull in enough liberals and the government will be ruled by corporatist Democrats for many years to come while either the GOP reforms its positions or the LP strengthens

wsc321
04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
the RNC is not our representitive, as they've always been just as quick to slander us (See: Ron Paul Campaign 2008). I don't believe the RNC is our friend.

Great feedback and no disagreement here - and I'm glad you brought that up. I'm only suggesting that if an opportunity with the RNC or FNC (or any other media outlet) comes up, we should jump on it regardless of the fact that they've slandered us in the past and we still don't trust them. I was furious with both FNC and the RNC during the Ron Paul campaign... but I still think this is an opportunity and, more importantly, something we should engage in.

With regards to the MSNBC incident: I've seen plenty of misleading, back-stabbing journalism but this is the most over-the-top, indefensible thing I recall seeing and I'm suggesting a new line was crossed.

Think like a cold blooded political activist for a minute that only cares about our country and our Constitution. Given that MSNBC are shills for the Dems (much like FNC can be for the neocons), and that Dems are in power... wouldn't it be at least a little bit beneficial to us for the RNC to pound MSNBC over this and see Olbermann fired? If not, the stage is being set for our future protests to be easier targets if MSNBC is able to get away with calling any American that protests a "racist". OTOH, if MSNBC is pounded for this they and other MSM Propaganda Outlets will hopefully be more fearful to campaign against protests.

See... I know full well the RNC's cause (at least mainstream RNC) is different from ours... but we have to think strategically.

I get concerned that some of us are so bitter and angry over some of FNC's slander that we'd refuse a beneficial opportunity just because it involved partnering with them. On this and other issues (e.g. Napolitano) I think the current climate could make FNC beneficial to us on specific issues - so let's partner with them when it benefits us, but without trusting.

LittleLightShining
04-20-2009, 01:37 PM
The RNC should go after DHS.

wsc321
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Probably, but I hope not. MSNBC has been giving libertarianism a lot of good press to try and divide-and-conquer the GOP. MSNBC attacked the Tea Parties but then associated it with neoconservatism (though the racism was probably planted bullshit), while Maddow argued that the Tea Parties were stolen from conservative-libertarians.

The real problem we're going to face long-term though, I believe, is that we aren't going to pull in enough liberals and the government will be ruled by corporatist Democrats for many years to come while either the GOP reforms its positions or the LP strengthens

I've seen a few snips of Maddow's show where she seemed somewhat respectful of Dr. Paul. OTOH, I remember Olbermann refused to cover Dr. Paul's campaign even though it was near the same time he was ranting and raving about the death of Habeas Corpus. When Naomi Wolf gave Dr. Paul credit for introducing legislation to counter the Patriot Act abuses it showed, in my mind, Olbermann had zero credibility and was as partisan as anyone.

youngbuck
04-20-2009, 01:47 PM
The RNC should go after DHS.

HAH! That'll be the day...

Vessol
04-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Let them piss into the wind I say.

Anyone with half a brain who watched that clip knows it's bullshit.

Let them make themselves look like idiots.