PDA

View Full Version : A new acronym OVE = Official Version of Events

Original_Intent
04-20-2009, 07:31 AM
Hey all, I think that our movement has made at least a couple of acronyms popular, such as MSM and TPTB. I would like everyone to try to use this one - OVE - and see if we can't get it to catch on. So if you are arguing against the government line, or the Official Version of Events, refer to it as the OVE.

The reason I think that it would be great if we could get this to catch on, is there is an implied "other side of the story". I think that it generates interest. Also, if it does "go viral" then I think that it causes people to kind of start scrutinizing things a little closer - every story they hear on the news people will be more inclined to ask themselves "Is this really what happened, or is this just the OVE?"

I know that we have a lot of ability to push things, and I really think something small and stupid like this could be "the lever that we can move the world" with. So in your letters to the editor, posts on other forums, etc. if you are debating against the "facts" we are being spoonfed, I think it would be very helpful to always refer to the government or media generated lies as "the OVE (Official Version of Events)".

It may be a worthless idea, it just struck me as something that could be useful - you know that these kind of tools are used against us all the time (such as the repeated reference to the Tea Parties as "teabagging" for example.)

Bruno
04-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Like it

A. Havnes
04-20-2009, 07:36 AM
+1

acptulsa
04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Yeah, not a bad seed to plant. With jokes about people dumb enough to follow cnbc's stock picking advice now rampant, the MSM is more discredited than it has been since the 'yellow journalism' era of a hundred years ago. We would do well to find any way we can to kick them while they're down. That would be just one less powerful enemy to overcome during the next election cycle.

Bruno
04-20-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, not a bad seed to plant. With jokes about people dumb enough to follow cnbc's stock picking advice now rampant, the MSM is more discredited than it has been since the 'yellow journalism' era of a hundred years ago. We would do well to find any way we can to kick them while they're down. That would be just one less powerful enemy to overcome during the next election cycle.

good point. Anyone who still thinks after the past year that the media is simply an unbiased reporter of events as they occurs is extremely naive.

Original_Intent
04-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I know a lot of people here don't even watch the news any more. Ever since I "woke up" I tend to watch it even more because I want to see what they want people to believe. And if there is even the possibility of an agenda, I assume that whatever the truth was, what I just heard wasn't it. :)

It'd be nice to get more people thinking that way! A little critical thinking vs blind acceptance!

acptulsa
04-20-2009, 08:06 AM
I know a lot of people here don't even watch the news any more. Ever since I "woke up" I tend to watch it even more because I want to see what they want people to believe. And if there is even the possibility of an agenda, I assume that whatever the truth was, what I just heard wasn't it. :)

It'd be nice to get more people thinking that way! A little critical thinking vs blind acceptance!

True dat. I watch as much as I can stomach. And my first disgusted reaction is usually the best spin. You build a lot of trust with people reading it between the lines for them. They learn to do it for themselves before long.

Bruno
04-20-2009, 08:09 AM

I've watched more news in the past year than anytime in my life for the same reasons. I temper what I see on MSM with articles found here and elsewhere.

heavenlyboy34
04-20-2009, 09:15 AM
It's a nifty idea, but it will take some getting used to. :o I hope RPFers use it regularly so I can get the hang of it! :)

Hey all, I think that our movement has made at least a couple of acronyms popular, such as MSM and TPTB. I would like everyone to try to use this one - OVE - and see if we can't get it to catch on. So if you are arguing against the government line, or the Official Version of Events, refer to it as the OVE.

The reason I think that it would be great if we could get this to catch on, is there is an implied "other side of the story". I think that it generates interest. Also, if it does "go viral" then I think that it causes people to kind of start scrutinizing things a little closer - every story they hear on the news people will be more inclined to ask themselves "Is this really what happened, or is this just the OVE?"

I know that we have a lot of ability to push things, and I really think something small and stupid like this could be "the lever that we can move the world" with. So in your letters to the editor, posts on other forums, etc. if you are debating against the "facts" we are being spoonfed, I think it would be very helpful to always refer to the government or media generated lies as "the OVE (Official Version of Events)".

It may be a worthless idea, it just struck me as something that could be useful - you know that these kind of tools are used against us all the time (such as the repeated reference to the Tea Parties as "teabagging" for example.)

Theocrat
04-20-2009, 09:29 AM
IMHO, it seems you want us to speak in such a way that TPTB and the MSM who would visit LF cannot contact the CIA or FBI when we discuss the OVE in an attempt to stop RPFers from spreading the truth when SHTF because they are like WTF whenever we LOL at their disinformation instead of QFT.