PDA

View Full Version : Should our local meetup start a PAC?

Matt Collins
09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Anita suggested a PAC. We have a tax attorney on our team, but he doesn't know much about the FEC nonsense.

My questions are on pooling money locally but not for the campaign. For those who have spent their limits, they can still give to a PAC.

Can anyone discuss this subject with any authority?

Kregener
09-18-2007, 09:32 PM
I would avoid this like the plague.

Spirit of '76
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Did you take a look at the information at the FEC website?

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml#nonconnected

tekkierich
09-18-2007, 09:50 PM
This is a question that has been high on my mind. This FEC nonsense is ridiculous.

We are essentially autonomous clubs. Once we start collecting a pool of funds to fund our activities we become a PAC by definition. Other clubs in our communities do not have these onerous rules applied to them.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances

To me our groups are "peaceably assembling" to use our "freedom of speech" so that we may "petition the government for a redress of our grievances". These FEC regulations are certainly infringing upon both the spirit and letter of the 1st amendment. Where are the constitutional lawyers to take this case?

That all said this is the sandbox that we were not particularly invited to, but want to play in. Maybe someone with experience with these things can set up a PAC and deputize local chapters to our current meetup organizers. This way localities could play with their funds the way they want but yet still be in compliance via the parent PAC.

Matt Collins
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Tek -

Well said and I completely agree.

However at this point we need practical advice on the subject.

bbachtung
09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Talk to Lord Xar, I believe that he has set one up.