PDA

View Full Version : It's time to unite against the two party system!

sevin
04-19-2009, 12:21 AM
All right. It's time to stop fighting amongst ourselves. I know some of you still think of yourselves as disappointed Republicans or disappointed Democrats. Others are libertarians/constitutionalists who like Glenn Beck, or libertarians/constitutionalists who think he's a neocon.

In the end, all that matters is that we unite against the false two party system. By 2012, there will be more of us than Republicans or Democrats, and we can finally elect someone who will bring an end to this BS system. This party might not be perfect. We might not agree on everything.

But if we're going to make a difference in this country, we need to stop a Republican or Democrat from getting elected again.

Lovecraftian4Paul
04-19-2009, 12:45 AM
I hope so. Third party success all depends on what the masses think about Obama four years down the road. Will the media illusions of the Messiah and his failed policies generate real disgust? It remains to be seen. In any case, I believe all Republicans aside from liberty candidates will still be seen as terribly toxic in 2012, no matter how badly the Democrats do. Only some major war or terrorist attack could open the hatch for the poisonous neo-cons at this point, they are thoroughly discredited.

LibertyWorker
04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
We don’t need to push for a 3rd party. We need to show voters that democrats and republicans are the same party.

I tell people all the time we don’t need a 3rd party we need a 2nd party.

Show people that if you are a democrat or a republican you are in the same party that is divided almost completely on social issues that government should have no hand in what so ever.

NerveShocker
04-19-2009, 11:34 AM
We don’t need to push for a 3rd party. We need to show voters that democrats and republicans are the same party.

I tell people all the time we don’t need a 3rd party we need a 2nd party.

Show people that if you are a democrat or a republican you are in the same party that is divided almost completely on social issues that government should have no hand in what so ever.

I'm confused so which party are you saying we vote for.. both? That would probably be ineffective and really changing 1 party is hard enough as is... Honestly I think the Republican party needs a major make-over or its going to cease to exist. I hardly agree with any of the Democrats stances on the issues but the main difference between them and Republicans is they at least know what they believe in. Democrats think government is here to help and that it is their job to keep it's citizens fat and happy. Republicans on the other hand say they believe government should be restrained and stay out of peoples lives and pockets but most elected republicans do the opposite. In my opinion we either need to force this party to stand up on its principles or completely abandon it and start a new 3rd party. A new 3rd party that was powerful would have more credibility than the other parties by miles and would definitely gain interest from people feeling trapped in this 2 party system.

Athan
04-19-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm all for uniting the Libertarians, Constitutionalists, Greens, and etc into one organization.

UtahApocalypse
04-19-2009, 12:24 PM
We should not have ANY parties. We should have Americans, and the Constitution. Period.

heavenlyboy34
04-19-2009, 12:40 PM
We should not have ANY parties. We should have Americans, and the Constitution. Period.

+a whole bunch! Individualism FTW!! :D:):cool:

Deborah K
04-19-2009, 12:43 PM
I think the party system is divisive, and I consider it to be collectivism at its worst. Individuals who run for office should run on a platform, aka a declaration of principles.

dr. hfn
04-19-2009, 01:06 PM
We must create a huge alliance and dedicate our lives to the cause!

zach
04-19-2009, 01:11 PM
it will be humans vs tyrants.

LibertyWorker
04-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm confused so which party are you saying we vote for.. both? That would probably be ineffective and really changing 1 party is hard enough as is... Honestly I think the Republican party needs a major make-over or its going to cease to exist. I hardly agree with any of the Democrats stances on the issues but the main difference between them and Republicans is they at least know what they believe in. Democrats think government is here to help and that it is their job to keep it's citizens fat and happy. Republicans on the other hand say they believe government should be restrained and stay out of peoples lives and pockets but most elected republicans do the opposite. In my opinion we either need to force this party to stand up on its principles or completely abandon it and start a new 3rd party. A new 3rd party that was powerful would have more credibility than the other parties by miles and would definitely gain interest from people feeling trapped in this 2 party system.

What I’m saying is there is very little difference between what you call the two parties. What you call two parties I see as one party with little dividing them other than a couple of social issues that the government should not be involved in anyway.

There is no left or right just Rightwing progressives and leftwing progressives.

Democrats and republicans = one party it’s called the progressive party.

So what we need is a 2nd party

Deborah K
04-19-2009, 01:47 PM
What I’m saying is there is very little difference between what you call the two parties. What you call two parties I see as one party with little dividing them other than a couple of social issues that the government should not be involved in anyway.

There is no left or right just Rightwing progressives and leftwing progressives.

Democrats and republicans = one party it’s called the progressive party.

So what we need is a 2nd party

What you say is true, but a second party will eventually end up merging with the other two (one). Parties need to die. Individuals with a declaration of principles need to rise up!

Spike
04-19-2009, 01:51 PM
I agree we should take heed of Jefferson's words and not organize ourselves into parties, which eventually become machines for a moneyed elite.

But one step at a time. The country's not going to change overnight. Getting another party into the mix is the only solution available. During America's tough times in history alternative parties have stepped up and change policy that mainstream parties wouldn't even talk about and this is one of those times.

carmaphob
04-19-2009, 01:53 PM
what you say is true, but a second party will eventually end up merging with the other two (one). parties need to die. individuals with a declaration of principles need to rise up!

qft!

heavenlyboy34
04-19-2009, 01:53 PM
What you say is true, but a second party will eventually end up merging with the other two (one). Parties need to die. Individuals with a declaration of principles need to rise up!

+a zillion! :D:D:D:D:D:):):):):) Here here!

axiomata
04-19-2009, 01:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger%27s_law

In political science, Duverger's law is a principle which asserts that a plurality rule election system tends to favor a two-party system.

The discovery of this tendency is attributed to Maurice Duverger, a French sociologist who observed the effect and recorded it in several papers published in the 1950s and 1960s. In the course of further research, other political scientists began calling the effect a “law” or principle. Duverger's law suggests a nexus or synthesis between a party system and an electoral system: a proportional representation (PR) system creates the electoral conditions necessary to foster party development while a plurality system marginalizes many smaller political parties.

A third party can only enter the arena if it can exploit the mistakes of a pre-existing major party, ultimately at that party's expense.

dr. hfn
04-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Revolution or Death!

Don't Tread on Mike
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
I think first we have to rid of the idea that America is a 2 party system this way the sheeple can think for themselves. I remember my civics teacher telling me this and I kept continually questioning it. Either she couldn't explain it or it just made no sense.