PDA

View Full Version : 50 massive Tea Parties at state capitals - all on same day

Bryan
04-18-2009, 05:04 AM
So what would be the best date? :)

I say a Saturday in September- maybe the 12th for symbolic reasons. The summer is too soon, too hot, and people are too busy. October could be good too but may start getting cold up north.

So who would go? :)

LittleLightShining
04-18-2009, 05:06 AM
I would. I would organize it, too.

rpfan2008
04-18-2009, 05:17 AM
July 4th?

LittleLightShining
04-18-2009, 05:19 AM
July 4th?That, too.

Bryan
04-18-2009, 05:25 AM
No doubt July 4th is tops on symbolic date but its also in the middle of summer (see issues) and there are already a lot of plans being set for local events.

Not that that should stand in the way of what is best. :)

nayjevin
04-18-2009, 05:36 AM
May 22 National Maritime Day
May 25 Memorial Day
May 15th (week of) Policeman's week
June 14th Flag Day
July 4 Independence Day
Aug 19th Aviation Day
Sept 12th Good Idea
Sept 17th Constitution Day
Sept 21st Int'l Day of Peace
Sept 25th Native American Day
Oct 24th United Nations Day
November 5th Ron Paul is Awesome Day

Danke
04-18-2009, 05:37 AM
May 2nd:

http://www.taxcutrally.com/

angelatc
04-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I am torn. Part of me wants to say we need to have another rally before July 4, but if we start having a "tea party of the month club" we might lose momentum. I think the 4th of July could work but it could also be problematic as far as getting permits and finding available space.

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Bryan, I agree the 12th. The 12th is perfect it is on a Saturday! I am sending you a PM.

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 01:21 PM
front page love

micahnelson
04-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Can we move on from tea? It is our job to give the GOP fresh new ideas to steal.

All kidding aside, something fresh would be interesting and keep us separated from the corporate side of the teaparty thing.

Brooklyn Red Leg
04-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Why not make it a Repeal the 16th Amendment Rally? I would definitely go.

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 01:37 PM
One thing is for sure. Glenn Beck will be holding rallies that day (12th). What we are trying to do is similar what happened in VT where we get control of those rallies. Our message is heard. And the neo-cons are pushed to the side.

LittleLightShining
04-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Can we move on from tea? It is our job to give the GOP fresh new ideas to steal.

All kidding aside, something fresh would be interesting and keep us separated from the corporate side of the teaparty thing.Personally I don't mind keeping the Tea thing going. Why? Because I have amassed hundreds of contacts interested in THIS. They want more. They want it soon. I think I'm going to have another on June 13. This will cover just taxes, what we pay, what we get, how the govt wastes money, how they could trim certain areas and eliminate the need for more taxes, how paying taxes reduces the amount of money people can spend to stimulate the economy... I could go on forever. I will also be sure to address the criticisms that came from the opposition and use this Wednesday's event as a springboard. I learned a LOT.

Then there will be an Independence Tea Party on the 4th of July. This will focus on issues that relate to the Declaration, tie in where they were and where we are and the similarities. I would want to be sure to draw big parallels between King George and Bush... I think that would be my speech if this all goes on. I do think that rather than trying to have one big event we should have many smaller events in cities around the state.

I understand your concern, Micah, and I don't necessarily trust what the Fox crowd will do to herd these people but they are my neighbors and I want to have just as much of an impact on them as the tv. If they associate themselves as being part of the Tea Party movement we need to be the movement.

MsDoodahs
04-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I agree that we need to come up with a fresh idea beyond the tea party concept.

A tar and feather festival (see acptulsa's idea - I will find it and link it here if y'all don't beat me to it, lol)?

A pitchfork sharpening party?

micahnelson
04-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Personally I don't mind keeping the Tea thing going. Why? Because I have amassed hundreds of contacts interested in THIS. They want more. They want it soon.

That is a good point too. Maybe expand instead of replace.

LittleLightShining
04-18-2009, 01:44 PM
That is a good point too. Maybe expand instead of replace.That's what I'm thinking, too. PROVE that it's not astroturf. Prove that this isn't dust in the wind. Prove it's real people and we have seriously had enough.

He Who Pawns
04-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I also agree that the tea party thing has unfortunately been hijacked and dragged through the mud. whatever we do, it should be focused on REDUCING SPENDING, or somehow increasing freedom, like ending the drug war. But whatever it is, it should be very focused.

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree that we need to come up with a fresh idea beyond the tea party concept.

A tar and feather festival (see acptulsa's idea - I will find it and link it here if y'all don't beat me to it, lol)?

A pitchfork sharpening party?

Just take whatever Glenn Beck says it is. But put OUR agenda on it. Beck is a tool lets use him :D

That is why I think the 12th is the best date.

MsDoodahs
04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Beck is a tool lets use him :D

Aren't we?

;)

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
That's what I'm thinking, too. PROVE that it's not astroturf. Prove that this isn't dust in the wind. Prove it's real people and we have seriously had enough.

I dont think we need to prove anything. We need to get in the minds of the neo-cons. So we should focus on the rallies they start, we get control of them locally and make sure the speakers are from our side.

Bryan
04-18-2009, 02:10 PM
IMO, Tea Party is here to stay. Sure, the name has been slandered, but changing will mean a massive loss of branding, energy, market penetration. Average people are just now starting to get use to the concept of a Tea Party. Changing course would be shooting oneself in the foot. Besides, no matter what it's rebranded as, it will again be slandered too.

At least now those who slander it will have to give pause when their 10 year old daughter gets invited to a tea party birthday or something. I wonder if they'll toss out the crude innuendos then.

As Jay points out- Sept 17 is Constitution Day- so either the 12th or the following weekend could have that as a theme.

Still yet- it will be interesting to see if "Thomas Paines" call for a march on Washington gets legs. Doing both would be overkill.
YouTube - Thoma Paine on to Washington (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2OnDKqj3g)

I've addressed the issue of too much Kool-Aide in the tea parties several times here- I'll repeat:

One thing to keep in mind, the Tea Parties are locally run- there isn't any central planning authority that is dictating a direction or standards. This obviously fits what we like.

Based on some of the reports there are certainly differing levels of Kool-Aide mixed in. But still, it's impossible to imagine that every speaker will be spot on to our message all the time. So what does this mean? Do you run away and stay at home? Or do you try to made the situation better?

You've got to imagine that the organizers are trying their hardest to get the best, most name worthy speakers at their events to maximize success. Get involved, help out, be part of the solution to make the events be meaningful- call out points why the average Joe doesn't want to hear from a tax collectors at an anti-tax rally- and the like. If problems persist educate others about the issue to build support for change. Worst case, if the tea party is a drunken Kool-Aide fest and shows no signs to change that- start a competing tea party group, explain clearly why you have broken off, with supporting evidence and do your best. IMO, walking away is totally the wrong thing.

For me, Houston has been blessed with great, fair handed leadership- they don't want any politicians or people running for office speaking.

ItsTime
04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I dont think they will dare do a March on Washington. There will be egg all over their faces IMO. They wouldnt even get 100k there. Times are going to be really tough come Sept. 12 (the date I think Beck/fox will pick for the march)

I think they (Beck and company) will have to do it locally again and the total combined numbers will be in the millions.

Bryan
04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont think we need to prove anything. We need to get in the minds of the neo-cons. So we should focus on the rallies they start, we get control of them locally and make sure the speakers are from our side.

One thing I'll add here- I don't think the Tea Parties should be a battle ground for foreign policy discussion. Why? There are many issues at play, including that there are some subjective elements to the debate. You can't say "no questions asked, this is right, this is wrong". The opposite is true for the case with liberty. There is no question here- and that is what unites us.

Even then, once we do get our liberty our side will win the foreign policy debate simply due to funding from the free market.

Bryan
04-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I dont think they will dare do a March on Washington. There will be egg all over their faces IMO. They wouldnt even get 100k there. Times are going to be really tough come Sept. 12 (the date I think Beck/fox will pick for the march)

I think they will have to do it locally again and the total combined numbers will be in the millions.
That may well be accurate. I would tend to agree there needs to be one more local success before a Washington march. And there are huge issues with that to get a lot of support in terms of, who is setting the agenda.

nayjevin
04-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I am torn. Part of me wants to say we need to have another rally before July 4, but if we start having a "tea party of the month club" we might lose momentum. I think the 4th of July could work but it could also be problematic as far as getting permits and finding available space.

July 4 07 was a blast, and very successful - many public events already happening and we got a booth at a fireworks display.

I think the more the better -- I think what you say is true if we are trying to be centralized for one message -- a low number on one date might spiral to lower numbers in the future -- but if we use each opportunity to promote a related cause locally, I see nothing wrong with that.

Sept 12th has the best chance to draw huge numbers for a State Capitol rally I would say.

I think we should use at least several holidays/significant dates for rallies at our nearest State, County, OR City building.

FED UP
or
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

should be the type of all-inclusive message.

Then talk to people, get their email addresses, and invite them to Campaign for liberty -- help them set up how many automatic emails they get -- then they will be informed about events as they show up on the calendar.

Rinse repeat!

AdamT
04-18-2009, 02:54 PM
A lot of people know about the tea parties now, and understand what they mean. I agree sticking with that name is a good idea, will only get bigger and people won't have to figure out and understand some new concept (which would reduce the numbers in attendance).

nayjevin
04-18-2009, 03:00 PM
A lot of people know about the tea parties now, and understand what they mean. I agree sticking with that name is a good idea, will only get bigger and people won't have to figure out and understand some new concept (which would reduce the numbers in attendance).

I guess you're right - sorry if I diluted this thread.

Tea Party is a huge branding that shouldn't be abandoned.

Roxi
04-18-2009, 03:18 PM
september 17th is also my birthday which i would willingly give up for liberty :)

didn't we have the liberty straw poll on sept 17th last year?

also if we did pick the 12th would glen beck claim it as his idea?

Roxi
04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
also, july 4th is a major family holiday.... i think attendance could be an issue here

AdamT
04-18-2009, 03:43 PM
One thing about Saturdays (Sept. 12th) is the state legislators will not be at the state capitols. It's always fun knowing their hiding and panicing inside, and that the angry peasants might storm the gates at any moment with pitchforks & torches :)

I think July 4th is problematic because people are used to being home with family, having cookouts, shooting off fireworks, etc. Might be hard to rip them away from that to go out and protest?

mediahasyou
04-21-2009, 06:21 PM
September 12th sounds good and will give time to plan and promote.

Since we are marching on our state capitols...We should tell our states to get some balls and stand up to the federal government and support the 10th amendment/

nayjevin
04-21-2009, 07:16 PM
+1 for Sept 12th

reagle
04-21-2009, 07:39 PM
september 12

50 state secession convention