PDA

View Full Version : Political Science Class Today

nate895
04-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Today in my political science class, my instructor said the two sides of the gun issue are that liberals want gun control to protect "safety," and conservatives want it to protect themselves from criminals. I took this opportunity to point out that many who support gun rights are in favor of them because we want to protect our liberties from oppressive government and to start a revolution. This caused the class to gasp in some cases. His response was if people would actually stand in front of tanks to defend their liberty. I was very encouraged when a few people yelled that they would too.

His explanation was that, in the off event that something like this ever occurred, that it would be more up to the military to start shooting "civilians" and not whether we had guns. He used examples of idiotic (my word) revolutionaries who gather in squares and protests. That is for liberal peaceniks, not libertarians. What does he expect us to do? Line up in front of Congress with muskets and form a square? Conventionally attack them? No, you dissolve yourself into the wilderness and wreak havoc on the military until you gather enough men to make the final blow. You'd have to be mentally ill to present yourself as a target for tanks to run over you (never mind that we should be able to own tanks). I didn't want to debate revolutionary tactics with the teacher, so I just sat quietly, satisfied I had allies if they crossed the line.

Mesogen
04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/imagestiananmen-square-1989-small.jpg

Theocrat
04-17-2009, 04:55 PM
You should have also explained to your instructor that those who support gun rights and ownership are also in favor of gun safety. It's just that we don't want the government to regulate what gun safety is for us nor our families. Personal responsibility is a keystone of liberty, after all. It's not the role of the government to treat us like children when we use firearms. It seems your professor may be sucking on the pacifier of the State.

nate895
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
http://affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/wp-content/uploads/imagestiananmen-square-1989-small.jpg

That was his example.

bossman068410
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Also Need to tell him that Japan DIDN'T invade us because all the americans had GUNS !!!!

nate895
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
You should have also explained to your instructor that those who support gun rights and ownership are also in favor of gun safety. It's just that we don't want the government to regulate what gun safety is for us nor our families. Personal responsibility is a keystone of liberty, after all. It's not the role of the government to treat us like children when we use firearms. It seems your professor may be sucking on the pacifier of the State.

He is. He doesn't even deny it or pretend the issue doesn't exist

I didn't want to get in a debate about gun control, I have already pointed out some libertarian ideas in class and just wanted to put out the libertarian view of the issue.

nate895
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Also Need to tell him that Japan DIDN'T invade us because all the americans had GUNS !!!!

I couldn't get that point across because of all the clamor about it. I was going to use Yamamoto "behind every blade of grass..." quote.

Andrew-Austin
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Political science classes = brainwashing, indoctrination, perpetuation of failed ideas

His explanation was that, in the off event that something like this ever occurred, that it would be more up to the military to start shooting "civilians" and not whether we had guns.

So he was actually for the government shooting at its citizens to prevent revolution? I guess its government first, citizens second?

nate895
04-17-2009, 05:03 PM
So he was actually for the government shooting at its citizens to prevent revolution? I guess its government first, citizens second?

Not necessarily, but I assume he would if the revolutionaries weren't like minded. He basically said that the military would have all the power in that situation, whether we had guns or not.

AuH20
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Your instructor sounds like a statist who's deathly afraid of the federal government.

emazur
04-17-2009, 05:45 PM
I've been wondering if there are good historical examples of an existing military splitting and siding with civilians who were already armed, and together overtaking a corrupt government. The right example is all you need to prove that civilians should have firearm rights.

I've also heard members here saying that b/c the Swiss civilians are well armed, foreign invasion has never been a problem.

The_Orlonater
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Nate, do you go to a public school?

ItsTime
04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the terror watch list.

dr. hfn
04-17-2009, 06:32 PM
check out my latest published article on gun control, on my c4l profile!

nate895
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I've been wondering if there are good historical examples of an existing military splitting and siding with civilians who were already armed, and together overtaking a corrupt government. The right example is all you need to prove that civilians should have firearm rights.

I've also heard members here saying that b/c the Swiss civilians are well armed, foreign invasion has never been a problem.

I can't think of a time when the military has "sided" with civilians, but I do know that they have simply refused orders to attack them. That's one reason why the coup in the Soviet Union didn't work, because the Soviet Tanks wouldn't fire on the civilians at the Russian Parliament.

nate895
04-17-2009, 06:57 PM
Nate, do you go to a public school?

Yes, I participate in a program where I go to the local public community college to take classes.

The_Orlonater
04-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Yes, I participate in a program where I go to the local public community college to take classes.

So it's not really a high school? Is it a high school that also teaches college level courses around junior year? Are you a junior by any chance?

nate895
04-17-2009, 07:26 PM
So it's not really a high school? Is it a high school that also teaches college level courses around junior year? Are you a junior by any chance?

Yes, I am a junior. I am technically a student at a local HS, but I only go there for the purposes of clubs and other extracurricular activities. All my classes are at a local community college and the state gets the bill. It really is a sweet gig, since I get 1.5x the credits as HS for 1/2 the work, at the same time as completing my AA when I graduate from HS.

The_Orlonater
04-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, I am a junior. I am technically a student at a local HS, but I only go there for the purposes of clubs and other extracurricular activities. All my classes are at a local community college and the state gets the bill. It really is a sweet gig, since I get 1.5x the credits as HS for 1/2 the work, at the same time as completing my AA when I graduate from HS.

How did you get that gig and what are your classes?

nate895
04-17-2009, 08:00 PM
How did you get that gig and what are your classes?

Through a program in my state called "Running Start." I went down last year and took three tests, one each on writing, reading, and math. I scored at a college level on all three, so therefore I could take classes there without paying. My class schedule this quarter is:

Political Science (POLS 111)-9:00-9:50 AM Daily 5 credits (1HS)
Art History (Art 221)-11:00-11:50 AM Daily 5 credits (1)
American Literature (ENGL 270)-12:30-1:50PM TTh 3 credits (.6)

Last quarter I took 18 credits, and fall quarter I took 13, with my first class on MWF being at noon.