PDA

View Full Version : Gun Owners of America Director Debates Allowing Merchants to be Armed

Knightskye
04-16-2009, 10:21 PM
YouTube - Fox and Friends - GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt: Allow Ships to Arm Themselves Against Pirates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt88cIhTtAA)

Larry Pratt debates Joseph Cox of the "Chamber of Shipping of America". Moderated by Steve Doocy.

Unfortunately, it seems the GOA supports the 2nd Amendment but not the 1st - comments are disabled for the video. :)

Dripping Rain
04-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Larry did great. +1 for GOA

Dripping Rain
04-16-2009, 10:42 PM
knightskye howd you embedd those videos like that? care to teach me? thanks

0zzy
04-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Fox isn't very fair and balance. haha.
he was debating him too, then he was like, "why is he wrong?"

but I <3 the idea of them having protection.

JoshLowry
04-16-2009, 10:54 PM

Just post the url of the video.

Anti Federalist
04-17-2009, 12:00 AM
The corporate shipping interests will fight this tooth and nail, just like the airlines did about arming pilots.

We, meaning Merchant mariners like myself, are expendable assets to them, they'll keep paying out the ransoms until it becomes "non-cost effective" and then they'll let us rot.

And I've been screaming at the XM radio while all this was going on, each time some talking head kept saying "this is the first time this has happened to American crew in 200 years".

Bullshit, on the west coast of Africa, the company I work for has had a number of American captains and crews taken hostage by pirates, one of whom I sailed with personally. He was taken back in 2003, and his situation was even more dicey, since he and his crew was being held as "political prisoners" being used to negotiate the release of Liberian rebels. There have been hundreds of American vessel and oil rig crews taken prisoner over the last ten years, but it never makes the news, since the whole offshore oil drilling industry flies way below the public radar.

Because of that, because the whole seafaring world is usually below the public radar, unless something goes wrong, is all the more reason why every US flag vessel should have a small arms locker onboard. But because of corporate fecklessness and the fact that even US flag vessels are under UN/IMO control, for all intents and purposes, I don't look for it to happen anytime soon.

Knightskye
04-17-2009, 12:11 AM

The forums do that automatically, apparently.

Fox isn't very fair and balance. haha.
he was debating him too, then he was like, "why is he wrong?"

Well, Pratt represented the opposition, so Doocy, assuming Pratt thought Cox was wrong, asked why Cox was wrong. Nothing biased about the question.

0zzy
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
The forums do that automatically, apparently.

Well, Pratt represented the opposition, so Doocy, assuming Pratt thought Cox was wrong, asked why Cox was wrong. Nothing biased about the question.

they were biased, they laughed and snickered and debated him when he was supposed to act as the moderator.

Knightskye
04-18-2009, 12:25 PM
they were biased, they laughed and snickered and debated him when he was supposed to act as the moderator.

I guess you're talking about this:
YouTube - Fox and Friends - GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt: Allow Ships to Arm Themselves Against Pirates (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt88cIhTtAA#t=1m13s)

When Doocy said, "If they had a gun, they wouldn't have gotten on the ship, Joe!"
"That's a very simplistic answer."
"Yeah, it is."

I mean, I know it's FOX, but I don't count a two-second interruption to make an important point, "biased".