PDA

View Full Version : How about a ninth amendment rally?

dude58677
04-16-2009, 05:43 PM
We can hand out brochures on the meaning and importance of the ninth amendment and how it severely limits the federal government. We can talk about how it limits government spending, limits taxing powers, war powers, judicial powers, etc. It also can't be hijacked and it is unlikely to get ignored because it is part of the Bill of Rights.

nate895
04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
How about 9th and 10th? They are kind of a package.

dude58677
04-16-2009, 05:47 PM
How about 9th and 10th? They are kind of a package.

Yes and no. The ninth adds anything that is not listed in the bill of rights.

nate895
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Yes and no. The ninth adds anything that is not listed in the bill of rights.

And the tenth even further restricts the Feds to delegated powers. The ninth doesn't really need to be there so long as the tenth is.

dude58677
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
And the tenth even further restricts the Feds to delegated powers. The ninth doesn't really need to be there so long as the tenth is.

The ninth refers to disobeying unconstitutional laws and jury nullification.

LiveToWin
04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
How about all 10 amendments. Now theres an idea.

nate895
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
The ninth refers to disobeying unconstitutional laws and jury nullification.

I know, but the Federal government doesn't have the authority to enforce laws opposed to either of those rights according to either the original document and that is reinforced by the 9th and 10th amendments. The 10th amendment most importantly, however, puts the government in its place as deriving its authorities from the people of each state as separate entities, whereas without it the Bill of Rights could be read as a grant of rights instead of an acknowledgment of them.

Objectivist
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
How about a "WHo has the guts to not pay their taxes rally"?

"If we are good only because we fear punishment and hope for reward then we are truly a sorry lot indeed"

And the author escapes me at the moment.

dude58677
04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
I know, but the Federal government doesn't have the authority to enforce laws opposed to either of those rights according to either the original document and that is reinforced by the 9th and 10th amendments. The 10th amendment most importantly, however, puts the government in its place as deriving its authorities from the people of each state as separate entities, whereas without it the Bill of Rights could be read as a grant of rights instead of an acknowledgment of them.

The tenth amendment doesn't say anything about express prohibitions but because it doesn't the ninth amendment says it does.

Everyone knows what the tenth amendment is and I'm afraid this could be hijacked by neocons and they might even omit the ninth amendment mention in the rally and only mention "tenth amendment rally".

Everyone needs to be educated about the ninth amendment and very few are.

dude58677
04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
How about all 10 amendments. Now theres an idea.

That can be hijacked easily. The dems will only talk about free speech and the neocons will only talk about the 2nd amendment. No we cannot.

slothman
04-16-2009, 07:54 PM
How come no ones talks about the 3rd?
We can't let the gov't quarter troops in our house.
To do so would be unamerican.

Back on topic:
It is my opinion that the 9th say that even if none of the other amendments says it is a right it still is.
That means the 1st through 8th aren't really needed.

I am thinking that the 10th writes that the federal gov't can only do what the const. says it can.
Before the Prohabition(sp) amendment
1-hydroxy-ethane was legal via the 9th. and the 10th said that since isn't recorded that they can prohibit that they can't.