PDA

View Full Version : There's NO WAY the Dubai Newspaper Printed an Ad Like this on 9/11!

ghemminger
09-18-2007, 05:57 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/__XCWUd8FFjQ/Ru6kEpbBP3I/AAAAAAAABsQ/TOe60Q8Y_D8/s1600-h/9-11cigs.jpg

Dustancostine
09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
I see nothing wrong with the ad.

nunaem
09-18-2007, 07:02 PM
I think people need to have this perspective... More people died from starvation and disease on 9/11(and every day since) than died from the terrorist attacks.

honkywill
09-18-2007, 07:15 PM
I think it's poignant.

bcmiller
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
wow this thread backfired

You should post this on www.redstate.com and compare the results it would be interesting.

nullvalu
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
There's no escaping the smoke nazi's..

ctb619
09-18-2007, 07:39 PM
smokers = Al-Qaeda

bcmiller
09-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Hmm... I think I am coming around on this one. I was not really sure how to feel when I first saw the ad. I think the intention is not to lessen 9/11 but to raise smoking to that level of visceral reaction. Smoking is suicide and not homicide so it's a stretch.

When 9/11 just happened this would have been outrageous. Now it's been a few years and it is less of a big deal, I guess.

When the Titanic sunk it was horrible news and the US, even the world morned. Last year I went to a carnival here in Virginia and they had a "Titanic Slide" where you could re enact the last moments of 1500 people, if you were taller than the clown. That would have been completely out of line soon after that happened, and to me it is disgusting.

The titanic was an accident. 9/11 was an attack. Imagine if that ad showed the chimneys from Auschwitz but replaced them with cigarettes and the caption read something like this, "6 million smoking related deaths occur every year, That is more than were killed at Auschwitz"... I would be outraged and I hope it would have been the cause of some major backlash.

trispear
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM
There's no escaping the smoke nazi's..Yup, though an individual group (?) taking out ads is much preferable to the government dictating how you have to behave, down to your own home.

My neighbor died several years back from smoking - lung cancer and heart problems - at a relatively young age too - horrible addiction and a horrible drawn out death. When I have kids, I definitely plan to take them to a hospital with lung cancer patients or show them the closest to a smoker's autopsy that I can.

0zzy
09-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Yup, though an individual group (?) taking out ads is much preferable to the government dictating how you have to behave, down to your own home.

My neighbor died several years back from smoking - lung cancer and heart problems - at a relatively young age too - horrible addiction and a horrible drawn out death. When I have kids, I definitely plan to take them to a hospital with lung cancer patients or show them the closest to a smoker's autopsy that I can.

Yep. I think the ad is clever, smoking is a horrible habit. There is also a great ad company that talks about the dangers of meth. Yet our government spends million on the "harmful" effects of marijuana, psh...

mdh
09-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I think anyone who wants to control smoking rights on private property is a damned fascist.

Also that the ad, like most everything George posts now, is a joke. :p

amonasro
09-18-2007, 10:08 PM
Post that on hannity.com and watch them go nuts.

Warning--you will be called a lib.

quickmike
09-19-2007, 12:26 AM
weve got to fight smoking over there, so we dont have to fight it over here!!!!!!

johngr
09-19-2007, 02:42 AM
I just saw an Arab with a pack of Marlboros. Should I report him to Homeland Security?

Abobo
09-19-2007, 03:06 AM
weve got to fight smoking over there, so we dont have to fight it over here!!!!!!

ROFL :D

The ad brings up a good point. We're so terrified by terrorism that we have forgotten to put it in perspective. I don't see us giving away our liberty to save the 4,000 people a year who die from drowning each year. Or how about the number of people who die in their own home -- we would save more lives by putting cameras in everyone's home than our war on freedom.

Person: "OMG! Someone drowned... Let's spy on people! Let's start a war with the ocean!"