PDA

View Full Version : Ad in Keene Sentinel

tremendoustie
04-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Hi All,

First, some background:

Ian Freeman, a Keene activist, was arrested for contempt of court back in November, for sitting too slow. Here's a video that sums the situation up fairly well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIgeIQLMlpQ

Now, after a video of that arrest got around youtube, with tens of thousands of views, the judge has decided on a blanket prohibition on cameras in the courtroom, in violation of freedom of the press, the principle of a public trial, and NH law:

Rule 1.4 (a): The presiding judge should permit the media to photograph, record and broadcast all courtroom proceedings that are open to the public. The presiding judge may limit electronic media coverage if there is a substantial likelihood of harm to any person or other harmful consequence.

Furthermore, in Keene Sentinel 136 N.H. 121, it was ruled court records and proceedings are open by default, and that the "burden of proof rests with the party seeking disclosure or non disclosure of court records to demonstrate some overriding consideration that outweighs the public's right of access"

A number of weeks ago, independent journalist Dave Ridley was arrested for his civil disobedience, refusing to shut off his camera: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwLHFS_2SqM&feature=channel_page

And note that Ridley's notice of intent to record was given far in advance, and no objection was recieved by the court, yet they prohibited it, in violation of

Rule 1.4 (d): (d) Advance Notice of Requests for Coverage. Any requests to bring cameras, broadcasting equipment and recording devices into a New Hampshire courtroom for coverage of any court proceedings shall be made as far in advance as practicable. If no objection to the requested electronic coverage is received by the court, coverage shall be permitted in compliance with this rule.

Day before yesterday, at Dave Ridley's arraignment for his civil disobedience, activist Samuel Dodson was arrested for videotaping in the courthouse, and a number of others were arrested simply for being present, and refusing to leave. Many who were arrested were simply sitting on benches, and did not speak or record anything. Here's the audio of these arrests: http://freekeene.com/files/SamArrested2009-04-13.mp3, and a video, from shortly after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AVnwBODuWY&feature=channel_page

Now, Sam Dodson is refusing to cooperate, or be processed, and so is being held indefinitely.

Now the point: George Donnelly has volunteered to donate the $877 to buy a half page ad in the Sentinel (already there was a front page article on the arrests), publicizing the arrests, especially of Sam, and calling for his release. A few main points which might be good to make, include:

-Free Sam Dodson
-He did nothing wrong
-He only exercised free speech/press rights as guaranteed by NH and US constitution.
-Videotaping of court sessions are a check on power of the court. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, etc.

There's wide artistic license, however, these are only loose guidelines.

I need to get back to work, but I'm hoping we can work together to design this ad (since we did such a good job on the NY times ad, etc). I'll be available again to help in about 7 hours. Let's throw some ideas up, if you're interested and have time, and lets get this ball rolling! (Any and all ideas and designs are appreciated of course) Thanks! :)

mport1
04-16-2009, 02:01 PM
This is a great idea! Unfortunately I'm not good at this sort of thing.

FSP-Rebel
04-16-2009, 03:29 PM
This is a great idea! Unfortunately I'm not good at this sort of thing.

I'm in the same boat.

Roxi
04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I know exactly who to contact, someone who lives in NH and helped design several flyers, and was even in the RP commercial, ill send her a link to this thread on facebook to see if she could maybe help a little if she isn't swamped with other stuff

mport1
04-16-2009, 06:41 PM
bump

Roxi
04-18-2009, 11:42 AM
okay i contacted her its linda lagana BTW for those of you who know her from New hampshire

heres what she said

Hi Roxi, I finally found a few minutes to watch the videos and read the posts. I am really busy this week getting ready to head to Florida on Saturday for a week. If somebody wants to work on the overall message of the ad and exact verbal content, I may be able to put something together before I leave.

so can someone put the words together?

JamesButabi
04-18-2009, 02:15 PM
If somebody gives me an outline on what it should say / contain I could make one up tomorrow.

tremendoustie
04-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry for the delay on this, I'll look into getting more specific info on what should be said. Thanks :)