PDA

View Full Version : Pensacola FL Tea Party - I made the paper, website, and was on TV

JP2010
04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
I showed up with my "I'm Not Paying" sign and my bullhorn. There were a few hundred people there and I invited anyone that had ANYTHING to say to air their grievances.

I'd say maybe 60 or so people used my megaphone, even a couple of Obama defenders.

Jeff Miller, my representative, District 1 Florida, was supposed to be there.

This is where the fun part began.

I was told by one of the seniors sitting on the bench that the lady holding a sign with tea bags on there was Mrs. Miller. Without even thinking, I cranked up my bullhorn and decided it was my turn to air my grievances...by telling the crowd how our representative had voted lately.

I asked "Who knows what TARP is?". Got many cat calls, boos, and "Yeh we know, they took our money!"

Then I said, "Our representative, Jeff Miller, voted AGAINST TARP accountability and oversight!"

"BOOOOOOO"

Then I said, "Who knows someone out of work or cut back or are having trouble making ends meet?"

"WE ALL DO!"

"Well, Jeff Miller voted to give $48B to the Global Fund to combat AIDS and malaria in Africa! That's what charities are for! "

"BOOOOO!" Got some "MILLER GOTTA GO!" calls.

Then I said, "And after he decided on our behalf to give $48 billion to charity, he turned around and voted AGAINST $1 billion for bridge reconstruction IN THIS COUNTRY!"

I got some "WHAT THE HELL!" calls on that one :D

So after that, we waited and waited for Jeff Miller to show up. He was to be there at 330, then at 5, then at 515, at which time I reitereated in my bullhorn Jeff Miller's recent votes and that we should ask him about this, and that this was only 5 minutes worth of searching and there's no telling what else he has voted for.

Then one guy started yelling that Jeff Miller has done some good votes; this guy was obviously upset with me. I told him that I agree that Jeff Miller has voted like a conservative on some issues, which is why I wanted to know why he has not been consistent in his voting. I wanted to know why $48 billion has left this country with HIS help. That pretty much calmed that guy down.

At the end of the day, Jeff Miller cancelled coming to our event at the downtown area. I don't know if it was due to his wife being down there and people actually getting educated on how her husband had been voting or not. I'd like to think so. (chicken)

Anyways, I made the front page of the Pensacola News Journal, above the fold, and made it on their website, photos 6, 8 and 9 (http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=DP&Date=20090415&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=904150810&Ref=PH&Profile=1006). I'm the one with the "I'm Not Paying" sign. I also made it in the news cast, though not interviewed at weartv.com (http://www.weartv.com)

EDIT: I forgot to add: There was a guy that got on my megaphone and was from the local Ron Paul meetup group. He held up a handful of Freedom to Facism dvds, told the people there what it was about and that he was handing them out. Those movies went like hotcakes after that. I was happy to see that moment.

acptulsa
04-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Good job! Our rep--and both our senators--chickened out right from the start...