PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

zach
04-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Ok, so I realize how big this is for our movement. We're out there distributing literature, getting people to realize how we need to think for the future, and showing our numbers through signs, flags, etc. And this is really a great thing considering that some of the networks are picking up on this.

However, that's where I start feeling uneasy. The principles that we fought so hard to promote just to get a few seconds on tv via Dr. Paul are now being promoted fast by Fox news and the others. Glenn was actually talking about a 3rd party revolution coming up, and how it's great that we have the right to keep our guns and being able to speak our voice that goes against the mainstream. But why? Why are the ideas that were considered "kooky" now turning into a media orgy where newscasters are saying, "Well, I'm libertarian, Ron Paul was right, two party systems suck." Where were they a year ago? Why did their speech patterns suddenly change? Why is having a liberty-leaning complex becoming the most awesome thing to hit the television recently?

I have a few answers in mind, but I'd really like to hear some other opinions on this. I agree that this day is pretty astounding, but it doesn't feel totally right with me.
(Or in current vernacular, "It ain't vibin' with me, man.")

You know?

Zera
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Because they're neocon bastards trying to do anything to win again, and then do worse when they get into office. Watch them take over the Libertarian party and make it into the new neocon party.

They're only doing it because a liberal/democrat/whatever won.

dannno
04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Ya this was all predicted by Conza (I think?) long before it happened.

frasu
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I feel the same way... Last year, in Washington, nobody mentioned the Tax day protest...

Kludge
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
//

Mani
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
The NEO-Con thing didn't work in '08. Obama was an unstoppable train and the NEOCONS haven't been able to touch him. They are flabbergasted on how to take Obama down a notch.

So if they see some discontent they are going to latch onto that and run with it, because at this point they have no idea how to topple the Messiah.

Paulitical Correctness
04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em (then hijack their shit and discredit them!)

I don't trust any of them for now.

angelatc
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
It is hard to build a movement when we can't let anybody in.

Texan4Life
04-15-2009, 04:56 PM
It is hard to build a movement when we can't let anybody in.

+1

who here has converted a friend, neighbor, or family member?

same thing except they weren't on TV spouting their views.

zach
04-15-2009, 04:58 PM
+1

who here has converted a friend, neighbor, or family member?

same thing except they weren't on TV spouting their views.

our friends, neighbors, and family members aren't being paid to speak by corporations.
that's where my confusion lies.

Dary
04-15-2009, 05:41 PM
Where were they a year ago? Why did their speech patterns suddenly change? Why is having a liberty-leaning complex becoming the most awesome thing to hit the television recently?
I think I get what you mean. My take on it is this.

So many of us have been working for so long, struggling, and really not seeing anything come of it.

Now we are seeing some of our efforts pay off.

It’s kinda like learning.

With me, I’ll study and study and study, then one day a light blub goes off and I come to a realization of all of the things I’ve been studying. Then I’ll level off, start again then boom, another light bulb goes of. It’s like a plateau. You work, work, work, advance to the next plateau, level off, and start again.

I remember tax day protests at the post office with some libertarian friends of mine like 10 years ago where we could only get 6 or 7 people to show up. So for people like me, I’m guessing, we take great pride in today.

Although I really never considered myself a neo-con, I guess you could say that I was one at one time. There are probably many, many people who don’t consider themselves neo-cons either, but really are. If today has had any positive impact on them, then that’s good too. It is a result of all of the efforts, struggles, criticisms, sacrifices, and even abuses that we’ve had to put up with. If it were not for those people before me, I'd never be where I'm at now and I thank them for what they've done.

I have a good friend who works tirelessly advocating freedom. Sometimes when I would get somewhat distraught going through those tough periods when it appeared that our efforts were for naught, he would always say to me to stay positive and be hopeful and you will see the fruits of your efforts pay off.

These are the times that he meant, and they are the times where we need to be happy. They aren't complete vindication, but they are good and they are the results of our efforts. Relish them. They often seem to be too few and to far apart, but that is only because of who we are. We spend so much time fighting; we tend not to celebrate our small accomplishments for too long.

Instead we jump right back in and fight to reach the next plateau.

I think that victory seems strange to us. We aren't used to it, and I’m not sure we know how to deal with it.