PDA

View Full Version : Vigilantism

Nebelwerfer
04-15-2009, 03:13 PM
I've read a lot about the idea of individuals enforcing laws and vigilantes enforcing the laws we have. What is some of the theory behind this? Like, why should unchecked individuals be allowed to carry out their form of justice? Isn't there a higher risk of enfrignement of property rights or due process?

Just looking for some thoughts about the ideas behind what law is and who can enforce them. Its an interesting topic to me.

ChaosControl
04-15-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't have much theory behind it. I support vigilante justice, but I can definitely see why it isn't allow as there is much potential for abuse.

Like say someone rapes a family member of yours, I think it is perfectly fine to hunt down and kill the scumbag that did it. The problem is though that someone could say just dislike some random guy and kill and then turn around and say he did it because the guy raped his sister.

Granted our current legal system I imagine has equal amounts of abuse.

JdotRdot
04-16-2009, 12:32 AM
the real problem of vigilantism arises when mob mentality takes over & reason is thrown out the window...i really think it's best if the sort of thing isn't advocated

there should be detainment & trials before punishment
even the revolutionaries held trials for their captors...though i believe all of them were put to death lol

cheapseats
04-16-2009, 01:38 AM
the real problem of vigilantism arises when mob mentality takes over & reason is thrown out the window...i really think it's best if the sort of thing isn't advocated

Certainly, bearing in mind that there are PLENTY of things that grown-ups do not advocate but that they must sometimes DO.

there should be detainment & trials before punishment
even the revolutionaries held trials for their captors...though i believe all of them were put to death lol

In theory, certainly. But it is easy to see that in ACTUAL war, certain social niceties WILL go out the window. Intuitively, a people in full-out rebellion begin at a striking disadvantage. Playing by the rules they would overthrow, which are written to protect and preserve the established order . . . well, you DO see the problem.

The American Judicial System is not a joke, it is a national disgrace.

People's Court will replace American Idol as our anesthetic of choice.

cheapseats
04-16-2009, 01:45 AM
For the record, I am not looking for trouble. There is Trouble everywhere I turn. Everywhere I turn, there are wronged people going under or hanging on for arguably dear life, and there are people who go on with lower case life like nothing much is amiss. And people call ME crazy.

I'm SICK of being called crazy. I am daily astonished in a bad way by the grotesque charade that American Politics has become. SOMEONE has to do the dirty work. Not with vindictiveness toward an isolated asshole but with an eye on the future of civilization, I say again sadly:

BETTER THAT CHILDREN OF "PEACE" OFFICERS BE MADE ORPHANS
THAN THAT ANOTHER CASE OF POLICE BRUTALITY IS UNREQUITED

TastyWheat
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
If some lone wolf wants to go out and round up bad guys and turn them over to the police I'm fine with that, but guilt and punishment should be decided by a jury in a court of law. I don't agree with Punisher and Boondock Saint types killing people that they feel deserve it.

JdotRdot
04-16-2009, 04:51 PM
In theory, certainly. But it is easy to see that in ACTUAL war, certain social niceties WILL go out the window. Intuitively, a people in full-out rebellion begin at a striking disadvantage. Playing by the rules they would overthrow, which are written to protect and preserve the established order . . . well, you DO see the problem.
i used the french revolution as an example of morality...vigilantism wouldn't allow for much trials, it would be like the old law of the west
WANTED: dead or alive

i assure you most people would choose "dead"
in fact there is some semblance of vigilantism in some latin american countries, where they beat up criminals to death with sticks

dr. hfn
04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
vigilantes are the ones with balls

JoshLowry
04-16-2009, 05:10 PM
"WHO ARE YOU?!"

"I'm Batman."

kahless
04-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Ron Paul supporters and those that believe in the same values promote their message through peaceful means. This is such a popular forum I would not be surprised if threads like this are being generated by those that wish to make it appear otherwise.

JoshLowry
04-16-2009, 05:13 PM
ron paul supporters and those that believe in the same values promote their message through peaceful means.

+1776 :)

Icymudpuppy
04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Let's look at it under a context of superheroes. Spiderman and Superman are classic justice first vigilantes. They round the bad guys up, but never kill, only turning them over to appropriate legal justice. Adam West Batman fit this mold as well, but Christian Bale Batman is more of a killer.

A bounty hunter reward system would probably work well if the caveat was that the bounty was only valid if the Wanted person is brought to justice alive. Wanted "Dead or Alive" would welcome abuse of the 5th amendment which guarantees every person the right to not be deprived of life w/o due process of law.

JoshLowry
04-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Let's look at it under a context of superheroes. Spiderman and Superman are classic justice first vigilantes. They round the bad guys up, but never kill, only turning them over to appropriate legal justice. Adam West Batman fit this mold as well, but Christian Bale Batman is more of a killer.

I don't think Christian Bale Batman has killed anyone.

He roughed people up and threw them off three story buildings to break ankles.

But he did disapprove of Harvey Dent doing what he was doing by leaving it up to a coin toss. (even thought the coin was double sided)