PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Values Voters Florida Debate Recap

pennycat
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Below are some comments on yesterday's Values Voters Debate. Though not carried by the mainstream media, and without our favorite (?) 'top tier' candidates, I found it to be a very rewarding experience. My comments are:

1. I made a lot of effort to talk with anyone that was there. After making small talk, I asked what candidate they supported. Most replied they had not made up there minds. Let's try and get this special interest group to at least look at Ron Paul.

2. This was a huge event. Held at the Broward County Arts and Entertainment Complex, with over 2000 people in attendance. I wish more RP supporters could have been delegates could have attended. But of course we were thwarted (to some extent) by the organizers because, 'They didn't want a bunch of RP supporters to skew the results.'

3. Being able to use a wireless keypad was way cool. You could grade the candidates in real time on what they were saying. This will become more and more common.

4. Amazed me to see Ron Paul after a fundraiser, after a debate, still come by the nearby restaurant to give a 20 minute speech and hob-knob with his grassroots supporters. He is so warm and giving when he's around us 'commoners.' Mentioned again how concerned he had been (in the past) about how many liberty-loving patriots might be left in America. He then said something to the effect that this room proves otherwise.

5. Said his wife Carol continues to be his biggest supporter! Room erupted into a chant of 'First Lady, First Lady.'

6. Humility of this guy is unbelievable. He talked frankly of his trying to perfect a message to explain that 'when you want the government to take care of you, you give up your liberty.' Saying in effect, 'sometimes I do it better than at other times. Tonight there were so many questions, it gets hard to answer them all. But I do my best.' When was the last time you ever heard that from a politician. Which is of course why we love our Champion of the Constitution!

7. He wouldn't leave until every last person that wanted to shake his hand at the restaurant had a chance to. Autographed many items. Which reminds me that at the end of the debate, he alone was thronged at the stage by supporters. The stage crew was almost finished breaking down the equipment, but there was Dr. Paul, accepting thanks from his supporters. All the other candidates had left. Duncan Hunter sat alone in a chair half way up the auditorium. Kinda gives new meaning to the word 'frontrunner.' They are all running away, while Ron Paul stays behind to talk to the masses.

Below are some other meetup members' comments:

Here's a YouTube of Dr. Paul's closing comments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRi8tswSkB4

Nick
Orlando Ron Paul 2008 Organizer

Hi All!

After a 6 1/2 hour drive in a beat up unairconditioned jalopy I made it home! I am worn out, exhausted, but thrilled to have been a part of this fabulous event!

I was on the floor of the debate, serving as a delegate. I was there from 4:30pm until 11:30pm with only one little mini break! The first hour was to teach us how to use the voting key pad. Then it turned into an Evangelical Crusade for 1 1/2 hours, with choirs singing, very long and loud oratory prayers being offered up, and the people were bashing liberals, and homosexuals, and every one different from themselves. It was a very arrogant and self-righteous audience, and I did not feel that it was very "Christian" at all.

I was extremely displeased by the attitude of many of the other delegates, who had already chosen Mr. Huckabee, before the debate even began! They kept shouting "RuPaul, RuP aul" and accused him of supporting drug addiction and prostitution! The yes-no round was what hurt Ron Paul the most, because when our ever reliable "Dr. No" voted no on such topics as helping the poor slaves in Africa (our government should not interfere) and "no" on involving the government in the Terry Schiavo case (that should have remained out of politics and be something between her family and doctors - not the government!) and "no" on denying civil rights to homsexuals (he said that we cannot be partial to ANY one group of people - freedom and liberty are meant for EVERYONE). Of course all of the other candidates voted exactly alike and Dr. Paul voted his conscience and did not surrender to the temptation to give this audience what they wanted. I saw him struggle with it a couple of times and I was very proud that he remained steadfast and true to his convictions through it all! And yes, I used my key pad to vote for him throughout the debate! I was a "stealth delegate" travelling incognito as it were - he even patted me on the back and said so after the debate was over.
I shook his hand and he autographed my debate folder. Someone had a digital camera and took our photograph together. I hugged his wife and told her how glad I was that she is feeling better and able to be here tonight. I also attended the after-party but I was pretty worn out from all of the debate activity. Everyone was wonderful to me and gave me all sorts of flyers, cards, posters and signs to bring back home to Citrus County so that I can help to spread his message of peace and prosperity!

Special thanks goes out to members of the Broward County Meetup Group 291 who helped this "country mouse" make it to the big city and back again all in one piece - kudos to Terri Carol the bravest woman I have ever met, and to the family who let me squeeze a ride in their car back to the Ramada Inn - they gave me a whole bunch of bumper stickers and flyers! Oh and Broward County wrote this really cool song that they plan to put on youtube soon, if it isn't there already! It is stuck in my brain!

I know I have not been able to make it to the Ocala meetings, but I am with you there in spirit and campaign contributions! I am trying to wake Citrus County up about Ron Paul, one email and telephone call at a time!

Peace, prosperity and FREEDOM!

Janet

"Christopher Thurow Sr." wrote:
From yesterdays debate in Ft. Lauderdale:

Hi All,

It was a very exciting day!

Dr.Paul was in good spirits and took time to speak with everyone at the
reception. He posed for a ton a photos, signed books, and after a
couple of hours with us, he dashed off to the debate with resounding
cheers from everyone. By the end of the event, we had converted the
entire restaurant staff! I was handing out liberty cards left and
right. There was a pretty good crowd with 55 paid attendees and I'm
estimating a minimum of $30,000.00 in donations (some folks donated
more than $500.00). In speaking directly with Dr. Paul and his
campaign staff, however, this is their most critical time in the life
of the campaign for contributions. Dr. Paul and his staff are urging
everyone to please, please, make a financial contribution at;
www.ronpaul2008.com. They are asking all of the meetup members to
please send in money to the Ron Paul Campaign before September 30th.
I asked them what message they wanted me to take back to my fellow
meetup members and this is it; Please, for now, instead of spending
money on sign materials, campaign materials, or anything else, they
are asking that we donate that money directly to the official
campaign instead.

On our way over to the rally at the Metro Cafe, my husband and I
stopped to visit with "The Granny Warrior" (Linda Hunnicutt) and her
little monkey "Buddy". What a terrific lady! Then it was off to the
Metro Cafe where there was a very large crowd tuned into the debate.
The whole place had been decorated for the event with flags, banners,
balloons, and signs; It looked great. Despite the noisy crowd
whenever Dr. Paul's turn to speak came up the whole room fell silent.
Dr. Paul was spot-on despite the ridiculous nature of many of the
questions. Reading the results today, I'm not surprised they voted
for Huckabee given how uniformed these people seemed to be. The final
results being Huckabee; 219 and Ron Paul second with 44. Any
"Christian" organization that would boo a man for referring to Jesus
Christ as the "The Prince of Peace" is a pretty stupid (insane) bunch
in my mind. One woman on the panel had the Gaul to accuse Dr. Paul of
"cherry picking" the bible for the "peace parts"- huh??

At any rate; we had a super day!

Tracy :)

Paulitician
09-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Good stuff.

TexMac
09-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Nice writeup, Nick, thanks. Who was responsible for the tugboat? Any pictures?