PDA

View Full Version : Why I didn't attend a Tea Party

mczerone
04-15-2009, 11:10 AM
I am interested in the 'results' from the tea parties, but aside from needing to attend class today, I did not feel the need to show up to hear Joe the Plumber in Lansing regurgitate half of our message along with some controlled dissent.

There are currently people who I cannot stand at these events, those that made me despise the GOP, and vilified Paul for years. Looking through the slogans on http://www.teapartyslogans.com/cgi-bin/web/index.cgi made me glad that I wasn't there to support this madness that is only a way to get names and addresses to the GOP for 2010. There is no policy shift that will come from these events, at best the White House and current powers will just see this as bitter people that need to get over themselves and learn to share.

I'm not into joining a group that expects the NRA, Rush, Hannity, FoxNews, or Palin to change anything for the better. I'm not associating with those who think Obama is the problem. I'm not going to lend my name to that - I can only join those causes that are on the right side of history, reason, and rights, regardless of popularity or coincidence of some interests with the protesting group.

I hope to read many great stories of how many people are opening up to the liberty message, but IMO today will merely polarize some into defined "right" vs. "left" groups, while our message gets subjugated to the FairTax and Family Values movements that have long been controlled from the top to meet Statist goals.

I came from the "left", rejected the system with Nader, and only then found the only logical solution through the Liberty philosophy of Paul. I'm not going to let myself melt into the mainstream GOP just because I don't like the current system - their solution is equally bad.

slacker921
04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
you shoulda gone.. and held up a Ron Paul sign. You're letting them win too easy. :(

Dripping Rain
04-15-2009, 11:24 AM
you shoulda gone.. And held up a ron paul sign. You're letting them win too easy. :(

+100000000000000000

acptulsa
04-15-2009, 11:41 AM
you shoulda gone.. and held up a Ron Paul sign. You're letting them win too easy. :(

Fight back or roll over. And while you're at it, roll your children over as well.

mczerone
04-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Fight back or roll over. And while you're at it, roll your children over as well.

That's just it: I saw these rallies less as fighting back, and more as rolling over to the whims of the GOP.

I'm sure to talk to someone about taxation being theft today, but that crowd wasn't where I could be effective in fighting back.

brandon
04-15-2009, 12:51 PM
I am interested in the 'results' from the tea parties, but aside from needing to attend class today, I did not feel the need to show up to hear Joe the Plumber in Lansing regurgitate half of our message along with some controlled dissent.

There are currently people who I cannot stand at these events, those that made me despise the GOP, and vilified Paul for years. Looking through the slogans on http://www.teapartyslogans.com/cgi-bin/web/index.cgi made me glad that I wasn't there to support this madness that is only a way to get names and addresses to the GOP for 2010. There is no policy shift that will come from these events, at best the White House and current powers will just see this as bitter people that need to get over themselves and learn to share.

I'm not into joining a group that expects the NRA, Rush, Hannity, FoxNews, or Palin to change anything for the better. I'm not associating with those who think Obama is the problem. I'm not going to lend my name to that - I can only join those causes that are on the right side of history, reason, and rights, regardless of popularity or coincidence of some interests with the protesting group.

I hope to read many great stories of how many people are opening up to the liberty message, but IMO today will merely polarize some into defined "right" vs. "left" groups, while our message gets subjugated to the FairTax and Family Values movements that have long been controlled from the top to meet Statist goals.

I came from the "left", rejected the system with Nader, and only then found the only logical solution through the Liberty philosophy of Paul. I'm not going to let myself melt into the mainstream GOP just because I don't like the current system - their solution is equally bad.

Well said, and I agree.

I was going to go to the philly tea party today with a sigh that said "Anti-War Anti-State Pro-Market" but it was just raining too much

acptulsa
04-15-2009, 12:53 PM
That's just it: I saw these rallies less as fighting back, and more as rolling over to the whims of the GOP.

I'm sure to talk to someone about taxation being theft today, but that crowd wasn't where I could be effective in fighting back.

If you're in the crowd, they can see your signs, hear your shouts and ask you questions. If you're on your ass on your couch, they can't. So, I fail to understand your point.

But what I do understand is how they use disaffection to create depression in their opposition, and brainwash the masses while we pout. You wonder how things got this bad? Now you know.

JoshLowry
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
There is no policy shift that will come from these events, at best the White House and current powers will just see this as bitter people that need to get over themselves and learn to share.

Activism works, I was very surprised by what just a few of us did yesterday at a small tea party in Texas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugoEaRxEjI4

Most of the people don't know about HR1207. The bill is not a left/right issue and you have people gathered there that are interested in politics.

angelatc
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM

I was in Lansing, and you totally missed out. There were Ron Paul people everywhere. The CFL had more signs visible than any other organization, and I am not even counting the signs that didn't have the official logo.

There were t-shirts that said "Don't blame me! I voted for Ron Paul!" and there were Ron Paul signs that were altered to read "Ron Paul Was Right!" I passed out 100 pieces of literature encouraging the recipients to contact their representatives about HR 1207. I wish I had had 400 more.

Joe the Plumber was pretty unremarkable. I can't remember exactly what he said, but I didn't hate him as much as I expected to. He quoted Ben Franklin, and another early President - that's about as much of his message as I absorbed.

Even the Fair Tax guy didn't talk about the Fair Tax.

All in all, it was awesome. Too bad you missed it! (But there's a couple of other events scheduled for tonight, in the rare event that you have a change of heart.)

max
04-15-2009, 01:14 PM
As disgusting as some of the neo-con trash at these events are, keep in mind that are many....many in the crowd who can be reached.

Most of us in this movement are recovered liberals and neo-cons. We weren't bad people, nor were we stupid. We came to the liberty movement only after information was given to us and we opened our eyes.

I hate to admit this...but I once subscribed to the Limbaugh letter!!!!

You should go to these rallies with CFL materials and RP signs. There are souls that need to be saved.

arbnranger
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
mczerone, I know exactly what your saying. Although I'm not currently in the country from what I've read I tend to agree with you.

Not everyone can be gung ho all the time. I have my moments where I feel like it's just a waste of time. We all do.

Keep your chin up. Tomorrow is another day.

DamianTV
04-15-2009, 01:26 PM
I couldnt go, I was busy paying my taxes.

Just kidding. Well I did file but that was two days ago and I was schnockered so it doesnt count. Thing is that movements like this wont do any good. They look and ignore. If all of these people had pitchforks, torches and shotguns, then maybe the govt would listen to us. But as it stands, they will just turn a blind eye.