PDA

View Full Version : Politico.com Ron Paul's plan to fend off Pirates

Dripping Rain
04-15-2009, 04:10 AM
http://images.politico.com/global/news/090414_paul1_ap_297.jpg

A little-known congressional power could help the federal government keep the Somali pirates in check — and possibly do it for a discount price.

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) and a growing number of national security experts are calling on Congress to consider using letters of marque and reprisal, a power written into the Constitution that allows the United States to hire private citizens to keep international waters safe.

Used heavily during the Revolution and the War of 1812, letters of marque serve as official warrants from the government, allowing privateers to seize or destroy enemies, their loot and their vessels in exchange for bounty money.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21245.html

Austin
04-15-2009, 05:50 AM
That's a nice picture of Ron Paul.. and of course, the policy suggestion ain't bad either. ;)

Dripping Rain
04-15-2009, 11:29 AM
That's a nice picture of Ron Paul.. and of course, the policy suggestion ain't bad either. ;)

plus ofcourse armed crews. the days of jack sparrow even commercial ships had cannons. the crews must be armed to stop this bs. i prefer they have grenade launchers and bazookas to sink the pirates

AcidReign
04-15-2009, 11:37 AM
Rush mentioned Dr. Paul and his suggestion on his show today. Didn't really comment any further.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Letters of marque and reprisal would be great, which is why the democrats in congress will never let it happen.

malkusm
04-15-2009, 12:03 PM
"Little-known"? I would hope that at least 50% of Americans know who he is after the 2008 election.

Letters of marque and reprisal would be great, which is why the democrats in congress will never let it happen.

I believe the "little-known Congressional power" is the letters of marque and reprisal...not Dr. Paul. :D

roho76
04-15-2009, 12:15 PM
How does he always have the best and cheapest ideas. It hurts my head because it's so simple. I need war drums and propaganda and massive budgets and the lost lives of soldiers to fix the problem. This kind of logic and rationale stumps me.

/s

This is like his stance on buying the slaves. So simple it weighs down the brain and most peoples natural reaction is to disagree.

RonPaulFanInGA
04-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I believe the "little-known Congressional power" is the letters of marque and reprisal...not Dr. Paul. :D

Yep. I read that two times as "little-known Congressman".

"A little-known CONGRESSMAN could help the federal government keep...."

Matt Collins
04-15-2009, 12:33 PM
I will get this on local and national radio today.