PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, need help trying to find out how to run for Congress

Uriel999
04-14-2009, 11:53 PM
So with the 2010 elections not too far away and my 25th birthday only 2 months away...yeah I'm thinking its time. I live in Florida's 2nd district and am really considering making a run for Congress. But, I'm incredibly ignorant as to the process. So help me out folks and let's figure this out.

hotbrownsauce
04-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I really think you need a lot more time to understand the process before you make plans to run. From what I remember the youngest congressman recently elected was in his mid 30's.

Don't mind me, just follow your passion but do it wisely.

I'm 24 and may run... but probably a decade or two from now.

I recommend attending the next Campaign For Liberty regional conference. I learned a lot on how to run, and help other candidates. I'd share videos with you if the C4L didn't specifically tell me not too.

Objectivist
04-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Watch this video first and then decide if you want to run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDoSIt9EIiI&feature=related

idiom
04-15-2009, 03:00 AM
Watch a lot of The West Wing?

JdotRdot
04-15-2009, 03:01 AM
the system can't be changed from within, it's rotted to the core...even Ron Paul said it'd be best not to run for congress
work on educating the public & you'll be doing what's really needed

TER
04-15-2009, 06:51 AM
even Ron Paul said it'd be best not to run for congress

Really? I hadn't heard him say that. If anything, I would think he believed the opposite.

CaseyJones
04-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Hell Ya Uri
WooHoo Run Run Run
everyone eligible at RPF's should run for an office

angelatc
04-15-2009, 07:28 AM
So with the 2010 elections not too far away and my 25th birthday only 2 months away...yeah I'm thinking its time. I live in Florida's 2nd district and am really considering making a run for Congress. But, I'm incredibly ignorant as to the process. So help me out folks and let's figure this out.

You need to start with something much smaller.

Elwar
04-15-2009, 07:52 AM
Hell, go for it...what's it going to hurt.

First of all, go to your local Republican Party. Get involved. Get a feel for who the players are, you'll learn quickly about the top dogs.

To run for Congress you'll probably have to pay some fee (like a couple thousand dollars) to get on the primary ballot.

You probably won't get much support from your local party though, except for a "isn't that cute" type of reaction at best, a "we've got to nip this in the bud" at worst.

Typically though, most people start out with a lower office like city council or something along those lines, then they run for mayor or jump to the state house, then from there either to state senate or US House.

Unless you're a successful business man who controls the district in a monetary way as opposed to a political way.

Or you can join the Libertarian Party...go to the state convention and tell them that you want to be your districts Congressional candidate. They'll be more than happy to have you aboard. Then you'll have to go gather thousands of signatures and pay a hefty fee to get on the ballot. And after all of that work, nobody will know who you are, you'll get token press once or twice a month, then you'll get less than 1% of the vote.

Good luck.

Uriel999
04-15-2009, 08:13 AM
I really think you need a lot more time to understand the process before you make plans to run. From what I remember the youngest congressman recently elected was in his mid 30's.

Don't mind me, just follow your passion but do it wisely.

I'm 24 and may run... but probably a decade or two from now.

I recommend attending the next Campaign For Liberty regional conference. I learned a lot on how to run, and help other candidates. I'd share videos with you if the C4L didn't specifically tell me not too.

Yes I do need to understand the process more, I am thinking out loud here and am interested in figuring it out.

Watch a lot of The West Wing?

Never seen it.

You need to start with something much smaller.

Probably right, but it wouldn't hurt either.

Raphae1
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
the system can't be changed from within, it's rotted to the core...even Ron Paul said it'd be best not to run for congress
work on educating the public & you'll be doing what's really needed

But Ron Paul doesn't consider the US constitution to be "just another piece of paper" - as you did here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3196).

JdotRdot
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
But Ron Paul doesn't consider the US constitution to be "just another piece of paper" - as you did here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=3196).

lol
i was just messing with the pole...it's kind of a stupid question
:rolleyes:

Revolution0918
04-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Fuck these fools....if your not havin people hate on you your not dreamin big enough.....Where are you running at? I wish more on this forum would do this....if we can get more to help out and get the word out this is the best way to change washington. Best thing to do is get a decent amount of people and walk around and talk to the people in your district, youd b surprised how much that can help. I interviewed a senator from Wy my freshman year of college. He said all he did was get a couple people and went door to door talking to everyone. I wish you all the best

Imperial
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Go for a leadership position in your local republican party in the fall and start going to meetings now, and run for a state rep in 2010. You can use that to run for congress in 2012 and hope that it is a republican year.

idiom
04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Never seen it.

The politics will make you cry, but it covers the process pretty well.

YouTube - West Wing debate - Obama vs. McCain 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvG8QWxnMl0&feature=PlayList&p=86413E5ABC586E16&index=0)