PDA

View Full Version : WCS administration decides student not allowed to pass out materials during school

Austin
04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
I originally posted this on the YAL forums (http://yalforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=736#p736) today.. I am completely outraged by this decision. Keep in mind I finally received the decision almost 3 months after the initial occurrence.

I was finally able make contact with him today.

He said that it he and central administration decided that I would be allowed to pass out materials after school, given I let him know ahead of time. He was even so kind to suggest two locations which are high in traffic. Let me rephrase that for you. I am not allowed to pass out materials at any time during school hours, not even during lunch or passing periods!

My next course of action is to circulate a petition among my peers. Once I have several hundred signatures, I will present a speech along with the petition to the school board. I am acting in this manner for two reasons. The first is so that I exhaust every other action prior to court and/or civil disobedience (probably not the latter). Futhermore, in the event that I end up taking the school to court... The evidence will show that I took every other step before taking my final action.

If you have any other suggestions, please, let me know!

I forgot to add in my original post that there are numerous groups that are permitted to pass out materials during school, and even have tables set up in the lunch room. And while these groups are not political, this still violates the Equal Access Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Access_Act) passed by Congress in 1984.

UtahApocalypse
04-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Is this the same issue from months ago. I think you already had some media support, and ACLU? It's time to hit them hard!! very, very hard.

angelatc
04-14-2009, 12:50 PM
I agree - ACLU.

surf
04-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I agree - ACLU.

me too. and i'd encourage you to let them do the dirty work for you. it's past time to put your douchebag administrators in their place.

Austin
04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Is this the same issue from months ago. I think you already had some media support, and ACLU? It's time to hit them hard!! very, very hard.
Yes, it is same issue from January when I tried to pass out materials that exposed Obama and his voting record. I was also going to pass out pocket constitutions, and they said no to that as well!

My concern with the ACLU is that it will take 8-10 weeks for them to process my complaint.. I will file a complaint ASAP, and hopefully they get a chance to look at before I graduate.

Lucille
04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
https://www.thefire.org/index.php/submit

When appropriate, FIRE contacts college administrators to remind them of their moral and legal obligations to uphold the First Amendment rights of individuals and groups at public colleges or the corresponding rights of individuals and groups at private colleges. FIRE also may seek public exposure of an individual's plight, a process that encourages colleges and universities to fulfill their responsibility to respect the individual rights of students, student groups, and faculty members...

Austin
04-14-2009, 11:12 PM
https://www.thefire.org/index.php/submit

FIRE only works with cases involving colleges and universities, not high schools.

Dequeant
04-15-2009, 01:17 AM
I originally posted this on the YAL forums (http://yalforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=736#p736) today.. I am completely outraged by this decision. Keep in mind I finally received the decision almost 3 months after the initial occurrence.

I forgot to add in my original post that there are numerous groups that are permitted to pass out materials during school, and even have tables set up in the lunch room. And while these groups are not political, this still violates the Equal Access Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Access_Act) passed by Congress in 1984.

You have come far grasshoppa.

Personally, and this is completely up to you since you're the one that will be in the fire, I would hand it out anyway. Make them take your items or suspend you from school. When they physically prevent you from handing the materials out, you have a case. Until then, it can be argued that they did not "obstruct" you or punish you for exercising your rights. They can say they persuaded or asked you not to hand them out, despite how clear you think they said that you CANNOT hand them out...........make them STOP you physically.

It's not illegal, and this will guarantee you have a case that can go the distance and not get thrown out on technicalities. However, you may have to miss a few days of school once you get suspended. ;)

Hell of a senior project. While most of your fellow seniors are dedicated to some project such as making the parking lots prettier for later classes etc......you can honestly say you fought for and preserved the rights of your future students.

Austin
04-15-2009, 05:48 AM
[/B]

You have come far grasshoppa.

Personally, and this is completely up to you since you're the one that will be in the fire, I would hand it out anyway. Make them take your items or suspend you from school. When they physically prevent you from handing the materials out, you have a case. Until then, it can be argued that they did not "obstruct" you or punish you for exercising your rights. They can say they persuaded or asked you not to hand them out, despite how clear you think they said that you CANNOT hand them out...........make them STOP you physically.

It's not illegal, and this will guarantee you have a case that can go the distance and not get thrown out on technicalities. However, you may have to miss a few days of school once you get suspended. ;)

Hell of a senior project. While most of your fellow seniors are dedicated to some project such as making the parking lots prettier for later classes etc......you can honestly say you fought for and preserved the rights of your future students.

I'll do both. :) I had already planned for my YAL chapter to do some community activities to promote self-government and personal responsibility. I'm going to do the petition thing and if that doesn't work, I think I am going to go ahead and pass out the materials. I just want to exhaust all options before taking this to court, it will make my case even more solid when I get there.