PDA

View Full Version : Ronald Reagan was an FBI informant.

paulitics
04-14-2009, 06:02 AM
As a young actor , Reagan was to spy on his friends. He must have done a good job and passed the test to be promoted for bigger and better things. At the very least, he was good at keeping a secret.

Just curious, I wonder how much one gets paid for doing this?

http://digg.com/d1od90

AuH20
04-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Good for Reagan.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Good for Reagan.

+1

AuH20
04-14-2009, 08:51 AM
+1

Given what I know, I have no sympathy for the communists at that time:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1571/is_n39_v12/ai_18777665/

For years, the frightening, ugly truth about the fate of American prisoners of war captured during World War II and the Korean War lay in smoldering documents hidden in U.S. government archives. They finally caught fire in the early 1990s as newspapers and researchers began revealing the story: Thousands of Americans had been packed off to the Soviet Union by the trainload, from German POW camps in Soviet-occupied Europe and later from camps in North Korea ... and Vietnam.

This summer, however, a more disturbing truth gradually emerged in hearings before a House National Security subcommittee chaired by Rep. Bob Dornan, a California Republican: The North Koreans and Soviets not only kept prisoners for their intelligence value but also used the largely forgotten Americans in grisly medical experiments aimed at testing the endurance of the human psyche. A former intelligence officer calls them "Nazi-like," and the disturbing revelations about the prisoners shed new light on the fate of at least 900 POWs the government now concedes were abandoned to Communist captivity in North Korea.

In June, a witness named Insung O. Lee, who works for the Department of Defense's Special Office for Prisoners of War, told Dornan's committee that a North Korean defector has revealed the country still holds as many as 15 Americans--more than double the six defectors the Pentagon has said live there by choice.

"Definitely, there's more than one group of Americans there" he told the committee. That same day, Dornan released a secret Defense Intelligence Agency, or DIA, report that detailed information from a defector who turned out to be former Czech Gen. Jan Sejna, an employee of the agency. "During the Korean War, a Soviet and Czech drug-testing program utilized American and other United Nations POWs as laboratory specimens," the report said. At the conclusion of the testing program a number of American POWs were executed ... to preclude exposure of the information."

The report said "the purpose of the program was to develop comprehensive interrogation techniques involving medical, psychological and drug-induced behavior modification," a chilling scenario reminiscent of Richard Condon's Manchurian Candidate, the story of an American held captive in Korea, brainwashed by Soviet and Chinese captors, then sent home to assassinate the president.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Nor do I. Young folks sometimes tend to miss what was going on with communism back then. The real intent was to violently overthrow our FORM of government. It was back then that our government, colleges and media were infiltrated.

I remember long ago wondering how on earth an American could or would take part in something like this. Then I read "Witness" by Whitaker Chambers. It was his autobiography and he explained why he had been taken in by communism for a number of years. It was Chambers who testified against Alger Hiss. Something that the lefties contested for many years, until the Soviets released a bunch of docs during Reagan's administration, one of which confirmed that yes, Hiss had been a spy.

The book is fascinating by the way. Except for the very middle of it, which I skipped over. ;)

AuH20
04-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Nor do I. Young folks sometimes tend to miss what was going on with communism back then. The real intent was to overthrow our FORM of government. It was back then that our government, colleges and media were infiltrated.

I remember long ago wondering how on earth an American could or would take part in something like this. Then I read "Witness" by Whitaker Chambers. It was his autobiography and he explained why he had been taken in by communism for a number of years. It was Chambers who testified against Alger Hiss. Something that the lefties contested for many years, until the Soviets released a bunch of docs during Reagan's testimony, one of which confirmed that yes, Hiss had been a spy.

The book is fascinating by the way. Except for the very middle of it, which I skipped over. ;)

Its ironic, that despite McCarthy's questionable methods , he was right all along. The release of Venona Intercepts later vindicated McCarthy and incriminated Julius Rosenberg but it never was reported in the media. He's one of the great boogeymen pushed by the media, educational system and Hollywood.

sailor
04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Communism is bad because it has people spy on people. You don`t defeat Communism by becoming Communist.

A rat is a rat. In US Reagan was an FBI informant, so in DDR he would have been a STASI informant.

LibertyEagle
04-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Yes, McCarthy was right. But, I think we unfortunately missed the largest targets, which were the ones in our own country who funded the Bolshevik Revolution and Communism, after the fact. The banksters and others like Armand Hammer. Encouraging the creation of communism was after all, just a tool used by the elite. They needed a boogey man, so they created one. A real one, just the same.

AuH20
04-14-2009, 09:44 AM
I remember long ago wondering how on earth an American could or would take part in something like this. Then I read "Witness" by Whitaker Chambers. It was his autobiography and he explained why he had been taken in by communism for a number of years. It was Chambers who testified against Alger Hiss.

Yup. FDR either was aware of the communist infiltrations or didn't care:

When his Chief of Security Berle brought him information from the Communist courier Whittaker Chambers that there were 2 Soviet spy rings at the highest levels of his administration, naming names like Hiss, White and Silvermaster, FDR told him to "go jump in a lake." The report was suppressed for years. The KGB archives list 221 agents in the most sensitive sections of the Roosevelt administration in April 1941. There were probably a like number of Soviet military GRU agents.

thasre
04-14-2009, 09:49 AM
I don't know if I can condone the idea that McCarthy was right. McCarthy was an opportunist who happened to fall on the better side of an issue and then fucked it up.

RevolutionSD
04-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Communism is bad because it has people spy on people. You don`t defeat Communism by becoming Communist.

A rat is a rat. In US Reagan was an FBI informant, so in DDR he would have been a STASI informant.

True.

Just like you don't defeat statism by being statist. :)

Brian4Liberty
04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Yes, McCarthy was right. But, I think we unfortunately missed the largest targets, which were the ones in our own country who funded the Bolshevik Revolution and Communism, after the fact. The banksters and others like Armand Hammer. Encouraging the creation of communism was after all, just a tool used by the elite. They needed a boogey man, so they created one. A real one, just the same.

Like Savage says, the Red Diaper Babies run the show now...

Meatwasp
04-14-2009, 10:47 AM

You are so right!!!

AuH20
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Like Savage says, the Red Diaper Babies run the show now...

But on the bright side, they're frightened!
http://www.thelibertypapers.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/hsa-rightwing-extremism-09-04-07.pdf

muh_roads
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
Communism is bad because it has people spy on people. You don`t defeat Communism by becoming Communist..

+1

Also fear of communists taking over back then is the same propaganda BS as what we get thrown in our face today...terrorists.

AuH20
04-14-2009, 11:08 AM
+1

Also fear of communists taking over back then is the same propaganda BS as what we get thrown in our face today...terrorists.

Yup. The terrorists possess hundreds of ICBM silos and maintained a million man army that enslaved 50 million Eastern Europeans. Please don't compare the former USSR to silly little goat herders with AK-47s.

Andrew-Austin
04-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Yup. The terrorist possess hundreds of ICBM silos and maintained a million man army that enslaved 50 million Eastern Europeans. Please don't compare the former USSR to silly little goat herders with AK-47s.

He was saying the threat of terrorism is used by politicians as an excuse to erode our freedoms and increase state power, just like the threat of communism was.

Communism was never a threat until politicians milked peoples fear of it.

AuH20
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
He was saying the threat of terrorism is used by politicians as an excuse to erode our freedoms increase state power, just like the threat of communism was.

I agree. The HUAC was uncalled for. But to equate the Red Menace to the WOT is laughable. That was my point. You can probably make an argument, that philosophically speaking, we lost the cold war. We lost control of our government as well fighting this evil.

acptulsa
04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't know if I can condone the idea that McCarthy was right. McCarthy was an opportunist who happened to fall on the better side of an issue and then fucked it up.

He was an agent of misdirection imo. While he was playing around with Hollywood types and jumping on misguided people of conscience who wished to pave the road to hell with their good intentions, he let people in seriously sensitive positions in our society arrange for our free fall to hell in a bucket. A movie director simply didn't have the ability to do the damage that someone in the shiny new Pentagon building had. This, to my mind, was his great failing.

There was treason for him to ferret out, but he was too busy attacking free speech to get around to it.

AuH20
04-14-2009, 11:36 AM
He was an agent of misdirection imo. While he was playing around with Hollywood types and jumping on misguided people of conscience who wished to pave the road to hell with their good intentions, he let people in seriously sensitive positions in our society arrange for our free fall to hell in a bucket. A movie director simply didn't have the ability to do the damage that someone in the shiny new Pentagon building had. This, to my mind, was his great failing.
There was treason for him to ferret out, but he was too busy attacking free speech to get around to it.

Actually, that was HUAC. McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC. But I agree with you that he lost focus near the end, as his drinking binges increased and he began overelying on the judgement of Roy Cohn.

acptulsa
04-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Actually, that was HUAC. McCarthy had nothing to do with HUAC. But I agree with you that he lost focus near the end, as his drinking binges increased and he began overelying on the judgement of Roy Cohn.

Nixon's HUAC. You have a point. But McCarthy's Senate rampages were equally superficial.

He and Nixon both provided cover for the likes of Luce, who attacked in his own ways the free speech of liberty lovers.

P.S. I would personally put Reagan on the 'attacking free speech rather than doing something useful' end of this spectrum, during his time as president of the Screen Actors' Guild. No doubt he thought he was being helpful. He never was the sharpest tool in the shed. His ignorance of what his own administration was up to later was certainly part of his 'teflon'--he wasn't lying, he was misinformed. And he certainly didn't mind one bit clamping down on our liberties for the benefit of the state.

Just a couple more good conservative movements hijacked. Wonder not why I'm paranoid about this little movement of ours.